What pickles are allowed if any?

sjosey77

I live in the Charlotte, NC area and have been curious about is there such a thing as an "approved" brand of pickles on the Whole 30?  I have read a few things online (other sites) but I still am unclear about what the guidelines are..... Obviously no sugar. I have read something about pickles not being paleo if there is vinegar?  How is that possible to make pickles without vinegar?  Huh?

I am looking for dill pickles.  Everything else I have been good about understanding and what to buy, but it is pickles I am not sure about besides no sugars or preservatives....

Thanks folks.

• Moderators

The reason Bubbies are in the cold section is because they are fermented rather than "made" with vinegar. I buy them at Whole Foods and use them in salmon or tuna salad all the time.

Other pickles made with vinegar are fine during a Whole30, but it is very difficult to find pickles that do not include sugar in ordinary grocery stores. 

Refrigerator pickles are also really easy to make. Just boil a brine with vinegar, garlic, dill, salt, peppercorns, and whatever other spices you like in pickles (red pepper flakes? Jalapenos?) and pour it into mason jars over your cucumbers. Stick it in the fridge for 24 hours and you have pickles.

A basic recipe is 2 cups vinegar, 4 cups water, and 6 teaspoons salt for the brine. I like to add crushed raw garlic, dill sprigs, peppercorns, and coriander seeds.

Archived