Eating Real Food - post-W30 journal

Derek`

Not going backwards is wonderful, but I know you'd rather be moving forward.  Honestly, if you can maintain during the holidays I think that is a great success!  So many temptations that really do not need to be ignored completely.  I like to enjoy myself, too.

I notice you are still eating nuts at nearly every meal.  How much do you eat?  Premeasure or dump on the food?  I need to actually put the nuts into a 1/4 c measuring cup and put them on the meal or else I notice I wind up with closer to 2/3 c which makes a  huge difference in the long run.  Nuts have turned out not to be my friend which really, really stinks!

Does your plate include more vegetables than animal protein/nuts?  That is what I need to pay attention to more, also.

Yaktrax sound fun!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually weigh out 1 ounce.  I've noticed that using the ISWF meal template guide and going with a closed handful is usually around 1 ounce - I checked for curiousity's sake.  But I sitll weigh them.  This is the only food that I actually weigh/measure because they are so calorically dense. I try to get in my good fats, and I don't really like ghee (or any kind of  butter) or mayonnaise.  I will sometimes do an oil/vinegar dressing on salad.  And ocassionally avocado.

I would say that by volume, my plate is more veggies than protein/fat.  If I had to guess, I would say I eat 8-10 cups of non-starchy veggies per day.

Wednesday:

5:00a Roast beef w/ onion and carrots.  Almonds

12:00p Romaine lettuce. Turkey leg meat. EVOO/ACV dressing. Carrots. Grape Tomatoes

4:45p 1-hr of body pump class

6:15p Spaghetti squash. Ground beef.  tomato sauce.  brussels sprouts. small orange.

Feel kind of embarrased about dinner.  I overate to the point where I felt a little more than completely satisfied. :( I need to watch myself.  Weight loss has stalled, and I know I need to mind my hunger levels.

Hang in there!  I think standing still until January is a fine plan.  Not moving backwards is a win in December!  I would also second Amber's suggestion of supplements.  I think that Vit D, Mag and Omega 3's help me get through the dark winter!  And MN is worse than OH!!!!  Although, it's supposed to be above 0 today. :)

Thanks, Jen.  Part of my survival plan for the winter was to commit to running a marathon in May, so that training will go through the winter.  Giving myself more time outside, something to look forward to over the winter, and keep me from slacking off physically. :)

Had a struggle on Thursday with feeling hungry a lot of the day.  Especially in the morning.  Still trying to find that balance of how much I need to eat to feel satisfied.  Or maybe I don't want to feel satisfied since I'm working on losing weight.

Got to try out my new yaktrax on my shoes yesterday.  The path where i run was mostly clear by now, so maybe I shouldn't have worn them.  They did help in places where there is snow/ice still. 

Thursday:

5:15a  Scrambled eggs with onion/pepper, cooked in coconut oil.

12:00p  Romaine lettuce. Dark meat turkey.  EVOO/ACV dressing.  Cauliflower.  Carrots

3:45p 8-mile run

5:15p Turkey.  Steamed broccoli.  Banana.  A few (1/2 oz maybe?) almonds.

Just wanted to second Jen's suggestion on supplements. I had read somewhere that calcium is a magnesium leach. So, I take magnesium by itself before bed in an effort for it to be able to do its work uninhibited by the presence of calcium. Like Jen, I'm also from Minnesota and it was very exciting yesterday to have a high of 18. It felt like spring. But, it is true that even with that life-giving sunshine, it's not high enough in the sky to get the Vitamin D we need.

One thing that has taken me by surprise is that one more egg for breakfast (I'm now up to three) seems to take care of my hunger in the morning. And, I'm very liberal with the fat that I cook my eggs in, even pouring what is left in the pan over the eggs. I think it makes a difference. I need to pay attention, though, to the nuts I eat because prior to Whole30, nuts had become a mindless snack. I've found myself falling back into that pattern and my weight loss has also plateaued. I think I'm going to do as you suggest and measure an amount in the morning and make sure not to eat more than that little stash for the day.

Have an awesome Friday!!

Friday 12/13. OOh. Friday the thirteenth and I didn't even realize it until now.

Didn't make it to the gym. Had some drama at work and had to stay late. I had to go home right away because the kids had a Christmas party to go to. It was a fun evening

5:30a Meal 1: Ham. Steamed brussels sprouts. 1/2oz pecans

12:00p Meal 2: Carrots. Cauliflower. Romaine lettuce. Avocado/Chicken salad

5:15p Meal 3: Pork chop. Steamed Csuliflower. Romaine lettuce w/ peppers and EVOO/ACV dressing

Had a bad weekend, health-wise.  I really need to figure out the weekend thing.  I go off the rails so badly with my eating at home on the weekends.  I do so well during the week.

I am paying for it now.  My stomach feels really bad today. 

Monday:

5:15a M1: Scrambled eggs with onion/peppers/ham, cooked in coconut oil

12:00p M2: Romaine lettuce. Avocado/Tuna salad.  Broccoli. Cauliflower. Grape tomatoes

4:30p Movement: 1-hour of weights class

6:15p M3: Steak. Steamed okra. 1/2oz cashews. Pineapple

Was happy with how things went on Monday,  I felt good. Ate well.  Got my movement in.  :)

Tuesday:

5:00a M1: Bacon. Grape Tomatoes

12:00p M2: Romaine lettuce. Chicken Breast. EVOO/ACV dressing. Cauliflower. Broccoli

3:30p Movement: 8 mile run

5:30p Meatloaf. Steamed Spinach. Apple. 1/2oz almonds

Maybe you need to have a plan for the weekend.  I know I have to plan out my weekdays, as two of my three meals are at work and even dinner needs to be mostly prepared in advance.  Having that structure makes it easier to stay on plan.

Glad Monday and Tuesday were back on track!

Thanks, Sara.  I'm thinking maybe I need to pack my lunch on weekends even if I'm just staying home.  During the week, I pack my cooler and that's it.  That's what I have to eat for lunch.  :) 

sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days.  Haven't been feeling so well :(

I'm doing a little better today.  I've just been pretty sad.  :(  Trying to fight through it.  I started taking Vitamin D supplements this week. 

Yesterday I ran in shorts which was awesome for late December!  It was in the 50s yesterday and is supposed to be warm this weeknd (but rainy)

Today was our office holiday party with potluck lunch.  I took in a veggie tray.  So I had something at least.

5:00a M1: Scrambled eggs w/ onion/pepper cooked in coconut oil

11:45a M2: Turkey, Ham. A little bit of pork.  Veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, tomato).  A few olives.  Did the best I could.

3:30p Movement: 1-hr on stationary bike.

Thinking about you, Derek. Sad that you are sad. We're approaching what is to be a happy, enchanted time of the year. But, unfortunately, it's just sad for a lot of us. Your sadness may have nothing to do with the approaching holiday so I guess I'm presuming a lot here. I have been sad at Christmastime more often than not in my 59 years and I really can't explain it. I'm sad already now and it is only Friday before Christmas. I find myself wishing there wasn't a Christmas to celebrate, just have normal regular days all the time. I don't think I really mean that and I'm a very faithful Christian believer commemorating the birth of Jesus. But, sometimes I wish that was all Christmas was and the other stuff with advertising and anticipation and expectations and presents and food would just go away. Is that way to sad?

So....not sure what I'm saying here. I should probably be writing this on my page. But I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and hoping you can find bright spots of peace and joy that push away the sadness.

Take care, Derek, and truly.....Merry Christmas and God Bless Us Every One!

Ah, message me if you wish.  We seem to be in the same spot.   I am having a hard time being enthusiastic with this plan/forum and motivation is low.  Mood seems all right.  I am certain you are doing better than you realize.

Okay, I'm back.  I was off of work the whole week so that was kind of nice.  We stayed in town.  The kids (3 and 5) and I just did some fun stuff around town - movies, science museum, arcade/climbing gym.  It was nice but I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow. 

Eating hasn't been bad.  I am pretty proud of myself.  Christmas was a one day transgression this year.  In the past, I  made it a month-long crapfest.  Christmas Eve I even ate well.  I didn't have any junk or candy.  Not many veggies were available, so I ate mostly meat and a little bit of fruit.  Christmas Day, I let myself go.  But it was one day.  Moving on...

Last Sunday when I was running, my foot was really starting to hurt.  It is feeling a little bit better but I think I will take another week off from running.  Need to decide if I am going to commit to running a marathon in May.  The training plan I would use is 18 weeks long, so that means it would start in early January.  Just a little nervous about doing this while I'm still pretty overweight.  I'm sure I could train and finish the race without a problem; I just don't want to embarrass myself or have a miserable experience.  I'm thinking it will be good for me to stay focused on eating and movement over the winter.  Although, the past week it has felt like Spring :)

Looking back, it was early 2012 when I got refocused on my health again.  My weight was going down for awhile, then I got lazy later in 2012 and gained some back.  Lost it again and then some in 2013.  I'm down about 62# in those 2 years.  Not exactly a good losing pace, but I'm learning.  Trying to lose 50# in 2014, as well as keep up with the running.  After the marathon, I plan on still running 25-30 mpw.  My goal for next fall is to run a sub-2 hour half marathon. (8 minutes faster than my PR from this November).

Hope everyone is doing well!

Sunday:

8:00a M1: Ham. Steamed okra. Almonds.

1:00p M2: Romaine Lettuce. Ground beef. Avocado. Broccoli

5:30p M3: Stir fry veggies and chicken, cooked in olive oil.

Thanks, Sara.

So I went crazy and officially registered to run the Cleveland Marathon in May.  Now comes the freak out "OMG what did I do?"  ;)  I'm back at work today and back in the routine.  Ready to take on the world!  Ready to ignore the Christmas GMO crap that is still appearing in the break room and multiplying by the minute.

Monday:

5:15a M1: Pork chop. Grape Tomatoes.  1/2 oz Macadamia nuts

12:00p M2: Ham bone broth/vegetable soup.  Broccoli. Celery

3:45p PreWO: 1/2 oz Macadamia nuts

4:30p Movement: 1-hr strength class

6:15p M3: Steak.  Romaine lettuce/tomatoes w/ EVOO/ACV dressing.  Steamed Brussels Sprouts. Orange

Okay, I'm back.  I was off of work the whole week so that was kind of nice.  We stayed in town.  The kids (3 and 5) and I just did some fun stuff around town - movies, science museum, arcade/climbing gym.  It was nice but I'm ready to go back to work tomorrow. 

Eating hasn't been bad.  I am pretty proud of myself.  Christmas was a one day transgression this year.  In the past, I  made it a month-long crapfest.  Christmas Eve I even ate well.  I didn't have any junk or candy.  Not many veggies were available, so I ate mostly meat and a little bit of fruit.  Christmas Day, I let myself go.  But it was one day.  Moving on...

Last Sunday when I was running, my foot was really starting to hurt.  It is feeling a little bit better but I think I will take another week off from running.  Need to decide if I am going to commit to running a marathon in May.  The training plan I would use is 18 weeks long, so that means it would start in early January.  Just a little nervous about doing this while I'm still pretty overweight.  I'm sure I could train and finish the race without a problem; I just don't want to embarrass myself or have a miserable experience.  I'm thinking it will be good for me to stay focused on eating and movement over the winter.  Although, the past week it has felt like Spring :)

Looking back, it was early 2012 when I got refocused on my health again.  My weight was going down for awhile, then I got lazy later in 2012 and gained some back.  Lost it again and then some in 2013.  I'm down about 62# in those 2 years.  Not exactly a good losing pace, but I'm learning.  Trying to lose 50# in 2014, as well as keep up with the running.  After the marathon, I plan on still running 25-30 mpw.  My goal for next fall is to run a sub-2 hour half marathon. (8 minutes faster than my PR from this November).

Hope everyone is doing well!

Sunday:

8:00a M1: Ham. Steamed okra. Almonds.

1:00p M2: Romaine Lettuce. Ground beef. Avocado. Broccoli

5:30p M3: Stir fry veggies and chicken, cooked in olive oil.

Good for you for taking the plunge and signing up for a marathon!  I could never do one… broke my femur years ago while running (stress fracture) and just hate the sport with a passion.   :angry:

Don't worry about being the skinny guy on the road:  have you ever seen pictures of people who complete marathons?   Endurance runners come in all shapes and sizes.  You focus on training so you can run the distance and celebrate when you are finished!

Thanks, Pam.  I'm not too worried about how I look while running.  I gave up caring about that long ago.  After races, I always get emails from photographers asking me to purchase race photos.  They're always putrid-looking.  Yeah, no thanks.  Not buying the photo you took of me ;)

Just don't want to embarrass myself by taking too long or bonking and having to walk a significant portion.  I don't think I'll have a problem really.  Just mindless, senseless worrying at this point :)

Thanks, Sara.

So I went crazy and officially registered to run the Cleveland Marathon in May.  Now comes the freak out "OMG what did I do?"  ;)  I'm back at work today and back in the routine.  Ready to take on the world!  Ready to ignore the Christmas GMO crap that is still appearing in the break room and multiplying by the minute.

Monday:

5:15a M1: Pork chop. Grape Tomatoes.  1/2 oz Macadamia nuts

Congrats! You will do great.

Archived