Eating Real Food - post-W30 journal

Derek`

Our kids are similar ages.  It's a fun time isn't it.  Yay for you for signing up for the marathon.  It's exciting.  It also gives a nice goal to work towards and it's a nice distance away.  And almost anything you do to prepare is going to move you forward.  This is what I'm telling myself.  I had a lot of fun training for a small town sprint triathlon in 2012 and want to plan to train for an olympic triathlon this year, but I don't want the stress from the fear of it in my life.  It's funny how stress can be both motivating and paralyzing.  Hope your day goes well.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats! You will do great.

Thanks.  Any advice before I start training? ?

The training plan I'm following calls for a shorter run @ marathon pace the day before my long run.  I'm not sure what race pace I should shoot for.  My most recent Half Marathon time in November was 2:08.  Does a 4:30 marathon seem reasonable for being a first timer?  Should I be thinking more like 4:45? 5:00? 

The training plan I'm following calls for a shorter run @ marathon pace the day before my long run.  I'm not sure what race pace I should shoot for.  My most recent Half Marathon time in November was 2:08.  Does a 4:30 marathon seem reasonable for being a first timer?  Should I be thinking more like 4:45? 5:00? 

Make sure you are in good overall condition - well-balanced muscles, strong core, etc. Look for any one-sided weaknesses - these are very common in desk workers. A consultation with a PT before you start training could be helpful, if you can afford it. The PT I saw a couple of years ago gave me great preventative strength training exercises that have kept me injury-free through training for two marathons and two ironmans.

Have you used the McMillan running calculator? http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

It will help you out with a lot of target paces. Looks like a 2:08 half marathon is right in line for a 4:30 marathon. I would say train for a 4:30, but in your first marathon, the goal is just to finish happy with the experience.

And good shoes!

Who (worth a damn) would criticize ANYONE's performance in a marathon?  Don't worry about how you do once the day arrives.  Setting goals is probably a good thing (I'm no runner) and conditioning is key, but in the end be super super proud of finishing regardless of the time.  Unless you just don't show up for the run, there is no reason to be embarrassed.   :D

As long as you don't chicken out, I'll be proud of you no matter how fast or slow your finish time will be!  Stay healthy and be smart about training.  I like some of the suggestions from experienced members.  I'm just a person who doesn't run anymore so don't listen to me.  hah  I could not run a marathon, so I am already impressed.

Tuesday 12/31:

5:15a M1: 3 eggs, 1 bell pepper.  Cooked in a little bit of coconut oil

12:00p M2: Stir fry veggies and chicken.  Cauliflower. Grape tomatoes. Celery.  1 oz almonds

4:00p Movement: 45-min stationary bike

5:30p M3: Steak. Steamed okra. Romaine Lettuce/Tomatoes w/ EVOO/ACV dressing.  Small apple.

Wednesday 1/1:

Had a good day.  Low-key.  Had some family over for New Years lunch.  There were some bad things that people brought (some kind of creamy potatoes and some brownies and cupcakes) - but none of it really seemed worth it.  We made the main food so I had control over that.  Best part was that I didn't stuff myself.  I'm working on losing weight so I have to be careful to stop eating before I feel completely satisfied.  Just listening to my body instead of counting calories.  So much easier this way.  That is one thing that I need to be more cognizant of.  Cravings for sweets haven't been too bad today.  I think getting a piece of fruit daily is helping.  Didn't make it to the gym today.  I'm kind of leery about going anywhere on holidays since I wish that people didn't have to work.

7:45a M1: Eggs and bell pepper cooked in a little coconut oil

12:30p M2: Pork loin. Sauerkraut. Sauteed green beans 1/2 oz macadamia nuts

5:00p M3: Stir fry chicken and veggies.  1/2 oz macadamia nuts.  orange.

Thursday 1/2:

Had a snowy drive in to work today :(  Luckily my commute is pretty short and it's freeway-less.  That, and a lot of people may still be on vacation.  So it wasn't horrible.  But it wasn't good either.  Couple that with having a very uncooperative three-year-old this morning has made me a little on edge.

5:15a M1: Pork loin. Sauerkraut. 1oz almonds.

12:00p M2: Romaine lettuce. Pork Loin. ACV/EVOO/lime dressing. Cauliflower. Broccoli. Celery

5:00p Movement: 1-hr strength class

6:30p M3: Pork loin.  Steamed Brussels Sprouts.  Orange. 1oz pecans

I just can't eat at 5:15am.  I have a hard time wanting to eat until 9 or 10 and then I am at work and the options aren't the best for meals unless I wait until noon.  And then I'm famished and make less than happy choices.

The hurdle of forcing myself to eat an early breakfast is still in front of me.

:(

Pam,

I just had to make it a part of my morning.  Most days I am hungry but some days I'm not.  On those days I just have to make myself eat.  I eat eggs most days but some days the thought of eating eggs doesn't sit well for me, so I grab some leftovers or cook up a hamburger and vegetables. 

Sara, hope the afternoon commute goes well.  :)

Friday 1/3:

5:15a M1: Pork Loin. Steamed Spinach.

12:30p M2: Pork Loin.  Broccoli. Cauliflower. 1oz pecans

4:00p Movement: 1-hr stationary bike

5:30p M3: Steak. Steamed green beans.  Orange.

My wife made way too much Pork on Wednesday so I have been eating it nonstop since then ;)  I'm glad that I'll be having a steak tonight instead.

My foot has been hurting so I haven't been running for a couple of weeks.  I think it's finally feeling good enough that I want to try a short run this weekend and see how it goes.  Unfortunately there is a lot of snow now and it is supposed to be really cold :(  I have a pair of yaktrax and my city does clear the bike path where I run so the snow doesn't worry me too much.  Windchills below zero bother me :(

Really want to run 5-6 miles today. Especially since it won't be very cold. I have a bad headache right now so hopefully that clears up and I can run. It's supposed to be really cold the next three days plus snow. :(

Saturday 1/4:

8:00a M1: Eggs, onion, bell pepper cooked in coconut oil.

12:15p M2: Pork chop. Steamed broccoli and Cauliflower. Apple

1:30p movement: 5-mile run

2:15p: banana

6:00p M3: chicken thighs w/paleo BBQ sauce. Steamed okra. Lettuce tomato onion salad w/ O/V dressing

Last night while watching a movie at home, I had a breakdown and went crazy with some bad eating :(  It started with a small candy cane, then I spiraled out of control.  Ugh.  I'm so mad at myself.  I had a good day and then things went bad at like 10 o'clock at night :(  I've moved on now.  Today is a new day. It's not very cold or snowing here yet so I went out for a run again this morning.  My foot was starting to whine a little towards the beginning.  Then felt better by the end.  Not sure what that means. :unsure:  I'm actually feeling good as far as mood and self esteem go right now.  And not really feeling any ill effects of my crap binge of last night.

Sunday 1/5:

6:30a M1: Baked chicken breast. Grape tomatoes. Celery. 1/2oz almonds

8:30a movement: 5-mile run.

11:30a M2: Chicken breast w/ paleo bbq sace.  Broccoli. Cauliflower. Orange.

6:00p M3: ground beef patty, oven sweet potato 'fries'

Good morning.  Cold and icy today!  My wife and I are both starting to get sick :( ugh ugh.  And I've been to the dentist this morning for a filling so I'm kind of physically yucky all around.

Monday 1/6:

5:15a M1: Scrambled eggs w/ onion, pepper, ham; cooked in EVCO.

12:00p M2: Chicken breast w/ paleo bbq. Broccoli. Cauliflower. Celery. 

4:15p Movement: 2-mi treadmill run. 1-hr strength class

6:00p M3: Baked salmon filet. Steamed broccoli and cauliflower.  Walnuts

So my cold seems to be not happening, whch is good :)  I had a really bad day eating-wise yesterday:(((  Why is this so hard for me?  I need to refocus.  I have a bit of a headache this morning.  Probably not coincidence.  :(  New start today.

Wednesday 1/8:

5:15a M1: Baked salmon. Steamed spinach. 1/2oz almonds

12:00p M2: Romaine lettuce. avocado. ground beef.  broccoli. Cauliflower.

4:00p Movement: 5-mile run

5:30p M3: 1/2oz almonds. Balsamic garlic baked Chicken. Steamed okra. blackberries.

Yeah, I usually do plan things out.  In today's post, the italics are my plan.  Just need to stick with it now.

Maybe I do need to eat more so I'm not tempted to snack?  It's such a dance to eat enough to feel satisfied but still lose weight :(

Yeah, I usually do plan things out.  In today's post, the italics are my plan.  Just need to stick with it now.

Maybe I do need to eat more so I'm not tempted to snack?  It's such a dance to eat enough to feel satisfied but still lose weight :(

Yep!

Archived