Interesting Article on being happy with your body

Vian

When ever I hear someone say "I just need to lose 5 more pounds and then I'll be happy" my first thought is "no, you won't be". It's always going to be five more pounds or two more kilos. It's the same with everything else; running after that elusive vision that'll finally bring happiness.

Happiness has to come first, and that happens when you stop wanting the reality to be something that it isn't. Accepting the reality for what it is right now and seeing all the wonderful things and opportunities in it brings the kind of happiness that is not only incredibly wonderful, but something that's not dependent on anything that can be taken away from you.

Reality is also forever changing, nothing stays like it is right now, and the next moment is created out of this one. Depending on what we see in this moment, we'll be bringing onto the next one. If it's seeing all the flaws in our bodies, then they'll be there in the future as well, even when our bodies change. If it's the beauty that we see in ourselves, then it'll be radiating in the future as well.

Also, what we love or hate about ourselves we'll be projecting onto other people as well. Those who hate themselves will always have problems with other people as well, and their relationships will be problematic. Losing that magical 5 pounds (of water, fat or muscle: doesn't matter as long as the number on the scale changes) isn't going to change that.

Reading this article made me feel incredibly lucky. Maybe because I feel connected spiritually, I just don't obsess about my body in this way. God loves me just the way I am!

Am I happy that I'm (slowly, gradually) losing weight eating this way? Absolutely! I will soon be out of the "overweight" range according to those damn charts  :P. But far more important is the healthier relationship I'm creating with food, and the respect I'm showing my body by feeding it good stuff. 

• 1 year later...

Meh, sounds like the author wants an excuse to eat bon-bons.

I think this is where programs like W30 shine - get us to do a reset on some things, tune in to our body, and reach a homeostasis that doesn't involve the chips aisle or the dessert menu.

Archived