Starting Jan. 2

ErinL

elysette - There are loads of low-FODMAP people on the forum, but you may not find as many posts in the Whole30 threads like this one, some may be found under AIP or allergy threads/keywords as lots of FODMAP people are also on AIP or a subset of it. If there's not a thread for low/no FODMAP recipes, might be time to start one :) The toughest one for recipes is probably coconut, but there are lots of people in the same situation as you, so I am sure there a load of recipes somewhere, just need to find them :)

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was definitely a "I just want to nap" day and I did! Today was the first day that I woke up hungry.  It was a painful hungry though. Every since the first night I've been sleeping like a baby. I wake up after exactly 8 hours too. Congratulations to everyone for making it through the first week!

I would love to hear if some people have some cheap and easy meals. I am working on doing this on a strict budget, and always need ideas! 

Small oily fish like sardines, mackerels and herrings are also a great easy cheap and nutritious food! I love to grill them whole on the barbecue, or toss a can in my purse as a lunch on the go.

I feel fantastic now!  :) My eyes used to be red and irritated, they would hurt when I read and I had to stop, and I would have that weird twitching of the left eyelid all the time. I thought there was something wrong with my glasses. But it's gone...! I'm playing now seeing how wide I can open them.  :D

Chris 24, Cici, where are you? How are you doing?

Has anyone made commitments in the other 9 areas as recommended in the preparation process? I'm a little bit confused about that, because no one seems to talk about them. I must say that so far, I haven't been too compliant with them...  :ph34r:

One thing I have noticed are extremely vivid dreams.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm talking highly realistic, active, long sagas that sort of confuse me when I wake up!  As in, how much of that really happened?? 

Oh my...the dreams!! yes, I have been having very vivid dreams! Day 8 today and I can honestly say, I have woken up every morning thinking, wow, that was a crazy dream. Some food related, some not, but all kinda bizarre! Not sleeping very well yet, but I know that will resolve itself.

Other than that, my clothes fit better, my runny eye isn't runny, and I am having a great time playing with spices! This is my 2nd time, and after a rough cook-up day on Sunday, it's been much easier than the first time. My husband and 23 year old son are doing it with me this time, which makes it easier (other than that my husband is a vegetarian, which makes feeding him challenging).

My only real issue is feeling the need to snack and trying to fight my way past it without grabbing the raw cashwes or a Larabar. other than that and not enough room in the fridge for all the storage containers, it's been good so far this time!

Day 8! Not so bad. Last night I dreamed my boyfriend and I had to do a pub crawl for his work, but the drinks were all cocktails and I was freaking out. Then this morning I FORGOT half my breakfast and my lunch at home. I work at a high school in a neighborhood with NO grocery stores, a half hour lunch, and crap food on campus so I was freaking out, but my boyfriend drove it to me - there would not have been a way to be compliant which makes me realize I'm lucky to have a supportive partner!

I usually wear dresses to work, but today I put on pants that have been, at my heaviest, too tight to wear, and they are loose and comfy. Since I put away my scale six days ago this is satisfying my need to know I'm losing weight (which I'm sure is unhealthy).

What are the 9 other aspects the book talks about? I haven't read ISWF?

Chris 24, Cici, where are you? How are you doing?

Has anyone made commitments in the other 9 areas as recommended in the preparation process? I'm a little bit confused about that, because no one seems to talk about them. I must say that so far, I haven't been too compliant with them...  :ph34r:

Where is this information on commitments? I haven't heard about this but would like to check it out. Thanks.

I am not typically a breakfast eater.  Most days the thought of a big heavy breakfast makes my stomach turn.  I have always been that girl with the cup of yogurt and some granola for breakfast.  Any suggestions for something light and easy to have for breakfast?

I didn't see that anyone answered this already so I apologize if they did. Having that important meal 1 within an hour of waking may be an adjustment for you. What I would suggest is that you make a template sized meal and eat what you can within an hour of waking and then eat the rest when you feel ready. Your first meal of the day would ideally be the largest because it is the one that is following the longest break in eating. But this can be hard if your body is not used to it but your body will adjust and that first meal really sets you up for having less hunger and cravings the rest of the day. 

So far,  so good. I have felt pretty energetic and my mood seems to have evened out for now. Breakfast was sausage and veggie saute with over medium eggs on top, lunch Turkey soup with side salad, and dinner will be hamburger patty piled high with sauteed onions and peppers. 

Similar to a few days ago, I slept way too little last night, waking after the equivalent of a couple of hour nap and never returning to a deep sleep. Immediately anxious about my ability to cope with my work day - which fortunately was light today but there were many things I planned to get done which I didn't do. My physical agitation/anxiety just kept growing all day, with a thumping heart and a flushed face, and increasing anxiety about all of what was happening in my body. Returning home I started taking some herbal remedies which have calmed things down greatly. None of this is new. My body acts like this sometimes, and balancing my nervous system so it is not so over reactive is a major health goal for me.

Two things. One is that I kept my committment to take some time every morning to read something inspiring (right now that's "Braiding Sweetgrass" by Robin Kimmerer), and writing in my journal. I guess those actually are the additional lifestyle commitments I made when I started this W30. To my complete surprise I found myself reflecting gently on the difficulty of the coming day, and writing "I will love myself today," meaning I will accept how I'm feeling and work with it the best I can. I'm ready to thank the W30 for that shift in the direction of taking heartfelt gentle care of myself!

The second thing is that when I ask myself why my body/mind is acting up in this way now, I have several thoughts. Is there some detox happening that is making my body sensitive? Maybe. I am without the shelter of addictions (sugar, etc) so whatever uncomfortable feelings I usually numb are rising up. Very likely. And, this kind of thing happens sometimes anyway, reasons unclear. There's that too!

I feel like I am eating too much. I looked like I was 4 months pregnant after I ate dinner tonight. I was hoping that Whole30 would change my body shape, unfortunately this was not the shape I was hoping for. Maybe day 16 will be better.

Hi, Tina. I can relate.  For whatever reason, after 8 days of compliance, today I look as bloated as I did before the start.  Earlier today I felt noticeably smaller than I did a week ago, but tonight I'm puffed up like a blow fish!  Didn't have too much sodium, didn't binge (dinner was 2 turkey burgers and 1/2 butternut squash mashed with ghee and pumpkin pie spice (fab, btw).  The truth is, it's too early to determine the effect of the Whole30 on our bodies.  Hang in there!

Hi, Tina. I can relate.  For whatever reason, after 8 days of compliance, today I look as bloated as I did before the start.  Earlier today I felt noticeably smaller than I did a week ago, but tonight I'm puffed up like a blow fish!  Didn't have too much sodium, didn't binge (dinner was 2 turkey burgers and 1/2 butternut squash mashed with ghee and pumpkin pie spice (fab, btw).  The truth is, it's too early to determine the effect of the Whole30 on our bodies.  Hang in there!

This is normal. As per the timeline.

Actually I am on day 18 which is Tiger Blood according to the timeline so this is not normal. I still feel the same as I did on day one. The same if I eat chocolate and drink wine. Maybe tomorrow a miracle will happen. lol

Ah sorry I missed that. While the timeline is generally normative it isn't the same for everyone. Are you keeping a log of your food? Perhaps we can give you some feedback that could help. Depending on what your are dealing with it can take more time to fix things. I have read plenty of stories of people who didn't see any real changes until the end of their W30.

Ah sorry I missed that. While the timeline is generally normative it isn't the same for everyone. Are you keeping a log of your food? Perhaps we can give you some feedback that could help. Depending on what your are dealing with it can take more time to fix things. I have read plenty of stories of people who didn't see any real changes until the end of their W30.

Not sure what information you need to give me feedback. This week for breakfast I have had decaf coffee with canned coconut milk, 3 eggs and 1 cup of sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil. Sometimes I also add a piece of fruit or a salad. I am usually full and can make it until around noon for lunch. Also I don't have a gallbladder and I have TMJ so eating a lot of meat and fat is hard. For lunch I usually have some meatballs or chicken and a salad with lemon and olive oil or some vegetable soup. I also eat a piece of fruit. Dinner this week has been chicken soup, Beef Stew with rutabaga and carrots, spaghetti squash with meatballs and tomato sauce, Meatloaf with roasted rutabaga, beets, and carrots. I usually eat a salad with dinner and a pear, apple or blueberries. I have tried really hard not to snack this week. sometimes I grab a handful of cashews or walnuts. I normally eat gluten free and dairy free and low sugar. I find eating 4 meals is easier to digest for me but I have been trying to eat three as much as possible. I usually walk on my treadmill 40 min every day and do Pilates for 2 hrs a week. This week I have only walked on my treadmill for two days. I drink water and tea. Also I have only had about 5 hours per night of sleep for years.

What a change in two days--I was so pleased not to experience any of the expected symptoms in my first five days, but now I am on Day 6 and wow is this hard!  My days have been flying by, I have been high energy and barely think about food but today?  It seems like time is crawling by, and I went through both breakfast and a serving of almonds before 10:30 and still felt ravenous.  I walked up a flight of stairs and my legs felt like lead.  As the timeline warns, all I want is a nap!

I just finished lunch, and have a confession to make--I made a trip to Chipotle. I ordered the salad with carnitas, guac, pico, salsa and veggies, so everything was sort-of compliant.  However, I know there is expressed concern about how the meat and veggies are cooked and truth be told, they tasted a little too good to be strictly Whole30.  I'm trying not to feel too bad.  I feel satiated and relaxed for the first time all day, and frankly I could have gone off the wagon in a much more epic fashion.  Not even sure how far off of the wagon this is.  Any thoughts? 

Overall I'm not super concerned with my lack of energy today, I know it's just a part of the process.  But I do wish it was easier to get through the hard days by remembering how great I feel on the good ones!  And, of course, to stop going to food as my first recourse....emotional eater, I definitely am.  

Not sure what information you need to give me feedback. This week for breakfast I have had decaf coffee with canned coconut milk, 3 eggs and 1 cup of sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil. Sometimes I also add a piece of fruit or a salad. I am usually full and can make it until around noon for lunch. Also I don't have a gallbladder and I have TMJ so eating a lot of meat and fat is hard. For lunch I usually have some meatballs or chicken and a salad with lemon and olive oil or some vegetable soup. I also eat a piece of fruit. Dinner this week has been chicken soup, Beef Stew with rutabaga and carrots, spaghetti squash with meatballs and tomato sauce, Meatloaf with roasted rutabaga, beets, and carrots. I usually eat a salad with dinner and a pear, apple or blueberries. I have tried really hard not to snack this week. sometimes I grab a handful of cashews or walnuts. I normally eat gluten free and dairy free and low sugar. I find eating 4 meals is easier to digest for me but I have been trying to eat three as much as possible. I usually walk on my treadmill 40 min every day and do Pilates for 2 hrs a week. This week I have only walked on my treadmill for two days. I drink water and tea. Also I have only had about 5 hours per night of sleep for years.

Have you considered adding digestive enzymes before meals? I know this is often recommended for those who have no gallbladder. Your meals look good. I do often find I feel bloated when I eat a lot of nuts so try not to grab those between meals if you can help it.

Some reading that might help:

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

http://balancedbites.com/2012/12/faqs-how-can-i-eat-paleo-without-a-gallbladder.html

Have you considered adding digestive enzymes before meals? I know this is often recommended for those who have no gallbladder. Your meals look good. I do often find I feel bloated when I eat a lot of nuts so try not to grab those between meals if you can help it.

Some reading that might help:

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

http://balancedbites.com/2012/12/faqs-how-can-i-eat-paleo-without-a-gallbladder.html

Yes I take digestive enzymes. I just didn't want to write a novel with everything I have consumed in the last 18 days. So it seems I am doing everything I should and I still feel like crap. Luckily only 12 more days of this.

Yes I take digestive enzymes. I just didn't want to write a novel with everything I have consumed in the last 18 days. So it seems I am doing everything I should and I still feel like crap. Luckily only 12 more days of this.

Sorry you're feeling poorly. I found this thread - not sure if that has additional info that might be of help to you.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/162-whole30-without-a-gallbladder/

Flamingo, do you do anything to try to go back to sleep when you wake up in the middle of the night like this? It must very upsetting on both your body and nerves the next day indeed. Have you seen a change in this pattern, for better or worse, since you started the W30?

I haven't been sleeping enough time the last few nights, and while I maintained my energy these past days, today I feel really in need of a nap. Fortunately nothing too bad. But 1) I ate less at breakfast (just couldn't), 2) the urge to munch al the time came back, —to mention only the food aspects.

I had made one of my side commitments to be in bed with everything switched off by 10PM, but I find it very hard to not take time to chat and see a movie with my husband, who comes home late. Or, if he sees a movie on his iPad in bed, to not watch it with him...! But I think I'll just have to. And, who knows?, maybe he'll accommodate some of his routine so we can be together without my lacking sleep...

Beli - I have spurts of poor sleep like this periodically, so right now its worse, but its hard for me to clearly attribute it to the W30, since it might happen at any other time as well.  I depend on valerian as an herbal sedative, which I take before bed and try to remember to take if I wake up too soon.  Recently I have been working harder to remind myself to sit up and take it, and have made a point of having it right there.  Every now and then if sleep is really bad I will take a mild pharmaceutical sedative.  I definitely feel more munchie when I'm tired, as you mentioned.

The good news is that my sleep last night wasn't great, but it was good enough!  I woke up in a really good mood, and have had an easy day.  I'm still taking my herbals throughout the day to keep the stress reactions from acting up, and it seems to be working well.  Its been a good day, and I'm headed home soon to make some dinner and appreciate the end of the week!

Making meals has been easy so far, and I have only felt challenged when I have to think about eating out, which I actually haven't done yet.  Like you, I'm an experienced and relaxed cook and all goes well as long as I keep shopping.  Yesterday I stopped at an asian grocery store and bought a variety of greens, which then turned into a delicious sautee, seasoned with a little roasted sesame oil and with a tahini sauce on the side for a little extra fat.  I just took what was left in a jar of tahini and mixed in a variety of tastes - lemon juice, a little apple cider, a little hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper, and some extra water.  It will be good on a variety of veggies or salads!

Archived