Started the Whole30 Today

AliciaRenee

SO, I started my whole30 today! I did a whole27 a couple months ago then crashed headfirst into a bin of sugar and didn't come up for breath except for a few healthy on track meals. I do not want to eat processed, sugar filled ingredients and I want to eat whole foods! I know how wonderful I felt on the whole30 and want to feel like that all the time. But sugar has it's grip on me. Still trying to figure out ways to success. I have been trying to do my second whole30 since the beginning of the month. Any tips? I've got a low budget and an obvious FEIRCE sweet tooth. I live in a home with a fellow junk food lover :(

I think having a plan is the most important tip I've gotten here. I'd also maybe ask your (roommate/spouse/whoever you live with) if you can reorganize the pantry or fridge so that your foods are clearly separated -- you might be fine with them having some of your food, but you want to make sure there's a visual indication that their food is not for you.

Also, I would try to think of those 27 days not as a failure, but as 27 successful days -- that's REALLY close to your actual goal of making it 30 days. Also, if you got that far in and were still having sugar cravings, it might be worth trying to go further.

If you have the book, re-read the chapter on supernormal stimulus, which talks about food with no brakes (I think it's chapter 4). Unfortunately, most people who have sugar addictions are like alcoholics with sugar. One bite, and it sends them back into the horrible tailspin of craving sweets. It's physical and it's psychological which makes it that much harder. I envy those people that are sugar free for 30 days, take a bite of something sweet, and talk about how disgusting it was, now that they are accustomed to not eating sugar. Not me. I eat one bite, and I want twinkles, M&M's, ice cream......I've learned over the years that one bite is the death of all my good intentions. Not that it doesn't get easier....it does. But it's definitely baby steps.

I would say have meals planned out, with plenty of approved staples on hand. Keep a journal if that helps you. Even though we are not "suppose" to keep track of what were eating, for me, it keeps me accountable. I am much more likely to not put that cookie in my mouth if I have to log it. I am not so much counting so called calories as keeping me accountable and on course. Also ask your roommate if he/she would hide the junk where you don't have to physically see it. Explain that you don't have the willpower to resist it right now.

Good luck! And I second CAK911......look at your 27 days as how successful you were!

Keeping a journal of what you are eating is acceptable and encouraged. What isn't allowed is counting calories, grams, macros, etc or weighing things. That is why the template is in terms of palms and thumbs and hands and plates not ozs, grams, tbs etc. If you want to keep your journal here in the Your Whole 30 Log section than members and moderators can give you feedback.

And I agree with all the comments. You got this! Stay the course, plan well, be accountable!

SO, I started my whole30 today! I did a whole27 a couple months ago then crashed headfirst into a bin of sugar and didn't come up for breath except for a few healthy on track meals. I do not want to eat processed, sugar filled ingredients and I want to eat whole foods! I know how wonderful I felt on the whole30 and want to feel like that all the time. But sugar has it's grip on me. Still trying to figure out ways to success. I have been trying to do my second whole30 since the beginning of the month. Any tips? I've got a low budget and an obvious FEIRCE sweet tooth. I live in a home with a fellow junk food lover :(

I absolutely agree with the other posts to your topic...first and foremost 27 days is quite an accomplishment!! Psychologically speaking it is very close to the "end"...so my first thought is IF you truly have a massive sweet tooth that derails you...consider the idea of eh..."I could live better without the stuff..." ALSO consider the possibility of fear of crossing the finish line??...maybe extend the 30 again using the one day at a time philosophy...keep a journal...and read...read...read. Hey leave some of this great W30 stuff around the house...maybe your housemate will be curious???  :) 

Stay strong!!! You GOT THIS!!! You are gonna feel great!!! :P

Grandma Carolyn 

• 4 months later...

You guys are amazing! I didn't stick with my whole30 plan back in Janurary, but I'm on it now. I am loving the feeling, and taking it one day at a time, but I am afraid of when the "Sugar Demon" emerges at it's worst. I will be keeping all this in mind for every day.

Archived