kids breakfast

little_muffin

Hi there,

My girls are being extremely faddy at the moment and pretty much refusing everything. They aren't doing a whole 30 but I am but we have eaten paleo as a family for about 18months.  Suddenly they are refusing everything, especially breakfast and I'm at a loss of what to do.

Typical breakfast is chicken, veg and an egg on top.  We would vary this with various spices, maybe port instead of chicken and vary the veg.  Sometimes it will be an omelette if we are in a rush.  At a w/e when there is more time we will give them palro pancakes which they devour.

My husband is getting fed up of wasting good food as it ends up in the bin or the dog.  Any ideas on what to do or even kid friendly meal ideas.  It is important for timescales that we aren't prepping different meals for each person.  Any ideas would be great.

Thankyou.

Jenni

Paleo for kids can be so tough. I have a ten year old and we try to introduce as much as we can. For breakfast we can only get her to eat eggs and bacon every now and then. At lunch (when she's home/not school) she loves meatballs so that has been easy and she loves to get creative. Dinner can be tricky but she's trying more and more. She had an incredibly SAD diet before this journey so every step is celebrated. Michelle, from Nom Nom Paleo, has a post on how her kids were introduced to paleo. It wasn't easy and isn't perfect. Slowly but surely we'll get there...

You think it's a power struggle or desire to just make their own decisions for a bit?  My kids every once in a while boycott things that I know their taste buds like and most of the time I think it's just that three and four year old developmental need to assert themselves.  It sounds like you already eat this way so it's not some odd taste texture issues - would they feel a sense of mighty power and control if they could create the menu for the week?  It's a bit of a nightmare to get the proper ingredients and invest the extra time, but it's gotten us through a few rocky times.

Kids tastes change a lot, as do their nutritional needs. As in, sometimes they seem to live on air and sometimes they eat giant, muscle-bound man-sized portions. Don't worry too much about them refusing food. They won't let themselves starve. Just keep offering healthy meals and snacks. If they choose to eat, great! If not, that's their choice—and it may mean they eat a good meal or snack the next time food is offered.

Try switching things up a little, maybe with a breakfast casserole? Soup and stew always go over well with my kids, and it's nice to have a warm bowl of something in the morning.

You could always chop the egg up and use it in another dish and of course chicken can easily be reheated. 

I make scrambles, salads, and frittatas with my toddler's leftovers all the time, and it works beautifully! It's actually kind of nice that everything is pre-chopped!

• 3 weeks later...

I do a lot of paleo muffins for the kids, mainly ones based on carrots, sweet potatoes or zucchini.  Paleo breakfast sausage has been a big hit, too.  I make homemade applesauce with carrots pureed in.  And carrot/parsnip puree.  I did make a paleo smoothie yesterday to try out my new Blendtec - spinach, almond milk and blueberries.  They loved it.  My kids are not whole30 either.  They love my whole30 meals but I do need paleo snacks to get them to eat breakfast.

We are on day 28 of our first whole30 with three kids. Breakfast has been our most difficult meal by far. I have allowed my kids (ages 7, 5 and 2.5) to have paleo-ified pancakes and muffins at breakfast a couple days a week, which has helped us. So I'll make a big batch of either one and freeze or refrigerate leftovers and those are great for busy mornings. I've also started making sweet potato hash browns, and just tried a great recipe with breakfast sausage (I make this by seasoning grund pork at home, since w30 approved sausages are tough to find), then add shredded apple and shredded sweet potato and form into patties. I cook them up in coconut oil and my kids love them. So yummy! I added fried eggs to mine but my kids are so over eggs they wouldn't touch them. They also love steak for breakfast. Sweet potatoes are a big hit with clarified butter and cinnamon. Then I add in whatever protein I can get them to eat: leftover chicken, hard boiled egg, tuna....totally non-traditional breakfast foods but they are so much happier with these options and it goes along with the whole "meal 1" idea rather than pigeon-holing breakfast. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Archived