Mayo fail

LaraG

I made mayo once successfully a month ago. It was delicious. Every attempt since had been a big fat fail. I'm especially frustrated tonight as it was working, then it turned to liquid. Such a bummer!

Here is the recipe I used the first time and since:

https://www.vitamix.com/Find-Recipes/M/A/Mayonnaise

Followed to the letter, with the exception of the dijon. I used regular mustard today.

Any better/foolproof recipes out there?

I use this one  http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/ 

If it started to come together and then broke, it sounds like you started adding the oil a bit too fast.  I make mine in my processor.  I pour the oil into the food pusher thingy.  It has 2 tiny holes at the bottom so it keeps the oil flowing evenly.  Never had a problem.

Don't throw out the failure.  It can still be used as the base for a salad dressing, or there are other mayo threads with hints on how to salvage it. 

Make sure ALL ingredients are at room temperature...if if breaks or seperates...remove from bowl and wash and dry...then add another room temp egg yolk and beat...slowly adding the first batch or mayo....it should take 4 or 5 minutes to drizzle the oil into the egg yolk...hopefully it will bind then add the egg white and maybe a little water to fluff it a bit as the extra egg yolk will thicken the mayo

hope this helps

forgot to mention i make maye weekly and i had my first flop only this week....i think it had to do with that 1 Tbspn of lemon juice...my lemon was a tad cold....doesnt take much and i used a whole bottle of avocado oil and didnt want to waste it...

I feel your pain!  My first batch was perfection, but unpalatable because I used evoo instead of a light oil.  My next three consecutive batches were liquid and attempts to salvage them never helped.  One thing I did to use up some of the liquid mess was to use it to marinate chicken then use it to help adhere the nut flour.  Really yummy!

I have been using the immersion blender trick with a whole egg for my last couple and it has come out well since. I've been making sure everything is at room temp and I've had success.  (thankfully! I was just about to quit forever!)

I've been using this method for forever, and I think its only failed me twice.  I also do it this way with cold oil, egg, and mustard and it works. I have found that avocado oil works better for me and that light olive oil (which can't be in fridge or it solidifies) will be a thick stiff mayo in fridge, but gets looser in room temp.  Not found that with using avocado oil.

This is my go to method.

http://themeanestmomma.com/2012/10/17/paleo-mayo-even-faster-and-easier/

ETA:  I measure 1 cup of oil.  I know in the blog, she says she fills it to top corner (or something like that).  I did taht once and the mayo did not turn out.  Too much oil. But I use the ball jars with plastic lid and immersion blender for a fool proof method.

This is my favourite mayo recipe (immersion blender style)

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

I have only had one fail and that was when I changed my recipe.

I've repeatedly had success with either avocado oil (makes green mayo - this freaks some people out) or macadamia oil and using either lemon juice or lime juice. I always use the best and freshest eggs I can get for mayo. Lucky me, I can get biodynamic organic eggs.

My fail was when I had no fruit and I tried ACV instead, it tasted okay, but didn't fluff up, stayed liquidish.

I had one batch a bit "less good" and that time I used a pretty crappy looking lemon, bought from a shop I don't normally go to.

If you have liquid mayo and it tastes okay, there's lots of good uses. Dipping sauce, tuna salad, etc

If you have a method which consistently fails, something needs to change, either method or ingredients.

There's lots of variation in fresh ingredients, so take note of what you use and what fails and what doesn't. 

• Moderators

I use the Well Fed/The Clothes Make the Girl recipe. Definitely wait til all ingredients are ROOM TEMP. Drizzle REALLY slowly in a tiny stream of your olive oil.

My other trick? Pay attention to how your emulsion SOUNDS. There is a point at which it is about to 'break'. You may have heard it in your failed batch. When I feel like it's getting near that point, I will stop adding olive oil even if I haven't used the recommended amount.

Also - if your batch does fail? Stick it in the fridge to cool down a bit. Then pull it out, add another egg and your lemon juice and begin blending again. Add a little more olive oil until you like the sound/consistency. Taste. Saved!

I discovered something last summer: my food processor has a plunger piece on top that has a teeny tiny hole in it, and I thought it was to make it easier to clean... But no! It is perfect for allowing only a bit of oil in at a time. I dump much of the recommended oil in there and process away. I have never used the amount suggested in the recipe; always less.

• 4 weeks later...

For folks who make mayo on a regular basis an immersion blender is absolutely key. Melissa J. says she won't post a mayo recipe using an immersion blender because she doesn't want anyone to have to use anything fancy. What?? I think an immersion blender is LESS fancy than a regular one! I got mine on Amazon for $14.99! It's small, light, easy to use and just generally improves my life! Haha! 

Seriously, though--get an immersion blender, make sure all your ingredients are room temp, and don't over-blend. This is the fail-proof, magically easy method! 

I started using the Kenji immersion blender method. It was perfect time after time, even when I got sloppy with amounts. Not room temp, yolk-only, no drizzling--it worked every time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

Last summer it failed for me and failed the next time. I ended up adding yolk after yolk in a fix method that worked without fail for me last year. No dice. I even put the giant mess in the food processor, let it all come to room temp and got nothing. I think the eggs can make a difference? Mine were fresh but who knows what magic is afoot with mayo.

Now I'm afraid. But I crave it!

Here's the fix that almost always works: http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/09/what-to-do-when-your-mayonnaise-wont-set-how-to-thicken-failed-mayo.html

• 3 months later...

Another little trick is that water can save mayo. I was getting 'gritty' mayo - it wasn't split and liquid, but it was grainy. I drizzled in some water (just from the tap) while I kept processing and it became smooth again. 

I use the food processor. 3 egg yolks (straight from the fridge, or a couple minutes out) juice of a lemon, dijon or mustard powder, pepper, salt - process these, then add the oil (light olive oil, 1 cup) while it's processing, drop by drop at first! Not even a drizzle to begin with. Then tilt the cup/pouring device just enough to allow the drops to meld into the thinnest stream possible, and keep it like that - that's a drizzle. It'll take a few minutes. Then I was getting to the end of this process and having to use the trick above to smooth it out. 

Good luck! Probably better following the advice of room temperature eggs etc above, even though it's worked for me with cold ingredients. The more chances of succeeding, the better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived