Could fruit be putting me into a sugar coma?

Elizabeth T

Hi everyone!  So I am on Day 10 of my first Whole30, and generally enjoying it and feeling good.  Prior to the Whole30, at night after dinner, I would indulge with some chocolate chips.  About 30 minutes after eating these, I would conk out and sleep heavily until my alarm went off.  My husband called it my sugar coma.  I would often wake up the next morning with cottom mouth and feel groggy. 

The last two nights on the Whole30 after eating dinner, I was having about one cup of mixed berries with a tablespoon of applesauce, and somtimes a little almond butter, mixed in.  This is the only fruit I have been eating each day.  For the last two nights, however, I have conked out pretty soon after eating the fruit and have felt similarly groggy in the morning.  I have not been able to sleep 8 full hours, which may be contributing, but could the sugar in fruit be having such a dramatic impact on me? 

Anyone else ever experience this? 

Thanks!

Well you normally have sugar at this time in the evening.  So what have you done?  You replaced it with better sugar.  True berries are a lot better for you than the chocolate chips.  But essentially by having this berry bowl you are still giving into a craving.  It's still that something-something that your body wants.  I recommend reading this article:

http://whole9life.com/2012/12/dessert-demons-in-disguise/

Okay that being said I recommend eating your fruit bowl directly after your meal or along with it to avoid this "sugar coma".  When it's time that you normally have dessert I recommend having a tea instead.  Go with something naturally sweet - my favourite is rooibos.  It's naturally doesn't have caffeine so it won't put a risk on keeping you awake. 

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice.  Moving away from rewarding myself with a sweet treat at night is a challenge I know I need to face.  I have always been a disciplined eater and avid runner, so a handful of chocolate chips at night was like a gold star for a day of good eating and training.  However, it became a habit.  I'm going to do my best to be more conscientiious of this going forward. 

Any tips for non-food rewards? 

I like to reward myself with some extra "me" time - take the time it was going to take you to prepare this sweet treat and eat it to maybe read something interesting you found, look for a new recipe for the next week, or maybe do a little shopping online for the next best pair of running shoes! These are things I try to do to help get my mind away from the sweet treat after dinner, and are rewarding for all the hard you you put in everyday!

Archived