Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I want my diet to evolve next. For a variety of reasons, I'm not going to stay AIP beyond the 30 days (well, actually I'll do 31). I will start reintroductions from AIP on April 1, and plan to introduce every 5 days after all the research I did on the topic. My first reintro will be raw milk grass fed culture butter. Black pepper, cumin, mustard and ever coffee or egg yolk are on my list for later in he month - so I'll keep playing along as a continuation of W30 since other than the high-quality butter I'll still be compliant. I need to order another bottle of coconut aminos, since I don't see reintroducing soy anytime soon - my reintro list will take me several months to work through carefully.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

@Racemom, oatmeal is at the top of my list, too! As are beans. Funny how it's the formerly known as health foods that I'm most looking forward to. My aim is still to limit those to one day per week. Plus alcohol, YES! Tequila with club soda and lime with a splash of pomegranate juice or pineapple juice is a wonderful cocktail. Or try an infused tequila (a local bar here does a cucumber one that I especially like) with soda and lime for no additional juice needed. My limit is two. :)

I'm thinking of taking the week and weekend off after Day 30, which will be concurrent with a small vacation, then starting again on April 7.  

You really do need to do a proper reintro Tacemom or you will have wasted a lot of the effort of Whole30. I didn't and really regretted it. I managed a holiday and a weekend away where I had to source every meal and snack form cafes and restaurants while on Whole30 so it is possible. Maybe alcohol should be the thing you reintro if that is what is bothering you. I am lucky not to worry about that as I have been teetotal for 12 years, 

I am planning on using the 20 days of April up to Easter Sunday as my reintroduction phase. Starting off with dairy - yogurt with fruit for breakfast ( I like this in summer), a milky coffee with lunch and cheese with supper. I will probably wait until April 3 to start this as I have an important tour to take on 2nd and I don't need an upset tum for that! Then maybe the following Monday I will try lentils and peanut butter. I need to think of a third thing to try so will look at the lists of 'legumes' to see what's banned! 

Slowly slowly catchee monkee

• Moderators

Just a thought, Sharyn (and you obviously know what you're doing), but I have no problem with lentils, mung beans, and most other beans, but I have a dreadful reaction to peanuts. You might consider teasing those apart. Though they are legumes, peanuts seem to be in an allergenic/reactive league of their own.

Yum! I'm going to try that recipe, Sharyn. Thanks! Glad you're going to the doc. You'll mend quickly as soon as you start the right drops!

I had dreams about going off plan last night. It was upsetting knowing I was so close! I did buy organic cream top plain yogurt yesterday in anticipation of riding my own bike. It's strange to me that that's the food item I most want.

I'm so with you, LM!  with just a few days to go I've been doing the same.  It's so very weird.  I've been 100% compliant food-wise all along, and to think about giving when it's almost done is SO odd. 

I also did my post-shopping earlier in the week:  small containers of grass-fed yogurt and heavy cream, some rice pasta and a couple of handfuls of rice from the bulk bin at the market.  (Already have some awesome Kerrygold cheese in the fridge, begging to be et...)

Doc's appointment in an hour. Eye is still very red and sore and I am concerned about the weekend looming. Compliant breakfast of fried mushrooms, fried eggs and this breakfast meatloaf  Just leave out the maple syrup as indicated for Whole30. I can't see why it's in there anyway as it is totally scrummy without.  Hubby is home and we had the same, he loved it too. 

Three days, three days, three days!!

Onwards :)

Feel better soon, Sharyn!  Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks, @LadyM for the cocktail suggestions.  I particularly like the idea of the cuke infused tequila, and the idea of club soda with a splash of juice is much better than a whole glass of juice for sure and I don't need (or even want!) all that sweetness.  Funny how tastes change as you pointed out.  I agree it's the healthier stuff I've been thinking about.  Although, that said, I've been off sugar and wheat for quite awhile so that's not something I'm ever going back to since it's just something I can't do for many reasons.

That Meatified web site is very cool and has some great ideas - thanks for posting.  It's amazing how many foodie blogs there are with Paleo / Whole30 compliant foods.  Never an excuse to run out of inspiration for meals!

LadyM, on 28 Mar 2014 - 07:17 AM, said:snapback.png

Yum! I'm going to try that recipe, Sharyn. Thanks! Glad you're going to the doc. You'll mend quickly as soon as you start the right drops!

I had dreams about going off plan last night. It was upsetting knowing I was so close! I did buy organic cream top plain yogurt yesterday in anticipation of riding my own bike. It's strange to me that that's the food item I most want.

I'm so with you, LM!  with just a few days to go I've been doing the same.  It's so very weird.  I've been 100% compliant food-wise all along, and to think about giving when it's almost done is SO odd. 

________________________________-

This is uncanny.  I had crazy dreams like that last night, too!   That I was eating spinach balls at a party and suddenly realized they were made with stuffing mix, which put me in upset crisis mode.  There were other "episodes" in the dream that I can't recall.  Not sure what that's all about.  I'm going to a family gathering tomorrow with some rather  - hypersensitive?- relatives who may get pushy with food; maybe that's bothering more more than I thought.   They are serving food at 3 pm - seems like that will be completely easy to deal with - I don't eat then anyway.   

I'm not really feeling ready for reintroductions yet.   I appreciated megalinty's counsel to cut back on nightshades and not get too hypertechnical with AIP, just stay the course on whole30 and tinker with subtractions instead of additions for a while.  I think the whole protocol is a bit overwhelming, and I don't think I have an autoimmune disease, though I'm still trying to unravel a low T3 reading.   Just trying to figure out what's optimal.

Sharyn, I hope you are on the mend.   I got better and then crashed - I felt like that scene in LOTR when the Balrog's tail catches Gandalf.  Rats!   Maybe I'll be well enough to celebrate (with a facial!) on day 31!

My eye was no better this morning and the right eye is also now very red and watering. So off to the NHS Walk-In centre. A one hour wait to be told I should probably go to the hospital (where they also have a Walk-In centre but I was told to go to this one). She thought I have an allergy or hay fever (which could be why my cold doesn't seem to be getting any better). Antihistamines over the weekend and if no better, back to docs on Monday. 

Yesterday's food included too many nuts but meals were compliant and tasty, Doing ok so far today too. Got pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork for supper. Will defrost some butternut squash curry sauce to go with it and cook some greens to go with it.

Hope you are al enjoying this final weekend of Whole30

• Moderators

Man, Sharyn, you've really been through it! If we call it detox will that make you feel better about all your illnesses? You're a real trooper.

I'm definitely enjoying my final W30 weekend this time around. In addition to fresh mayo, better butter, awesome sauce, and salad dressing, I cooked up WF2 cuban and thai meatballs, her middle eastern style salmon cakes, and tomorrow I'm trying the chili cilantro lime crock pot chicken Sharyn posted elsewhere. Guess I'd better think about veggies for this week, too. . . .

Oh, btw, I'm weighing in Monday, day 31, but continuing W30 until next Friday when I'll joyfully drink something festive to celebrate opening night!

Carrick, I jumped into AIP not really overthinking it, and I'm glad I did because a few people I know that have "thought about it" never managed to get 100% compliant.  

I do think the easing in approach works well for some people - check this out http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/do-i-have-to-do-the-full-aip.html

Thanks, SarahinParis - great and helpful article.  Sounds like nightshades and egg whites can go away for awhile and I can see where things go from there.  Much appreciated.

Good luck on opening night @LadyM - do people still say 'break a leg'?  Hope you rock it!

Hard to believe tomorrow is the 30th day.  It went by pretty quickly all considered, though there were a few moments in there that I didn't think it would end well. It's been fun doing it together!

Eyes still bad. Wearing sunnies indoors with curtains drawn :(

Breakfast - citrus fruit, coconut milk, seeds and chopped nuts

Lunch  - breakfast loaf, fried eggs, spinach and mayo, avocado

Dinner - pulled pork, barbecue sauce and cauli rice

I will have a mug of cocoa later - just hot water and organic cocoa powder. I am really loving this and not missing cream, marshmallows, sugar and milk. It's my new favourite drink .

Onwards (but not for much longer) :)

this is it! i hope everyone is having a spectacular last day! It's a stormy day here, but my spirit is sunny. :)

So, yay us! Even those who might have faltered... There's always another 30 days ahead of us*, and we can start anytime.

*well barring Armageddon or something... heh.

• Moderators

I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I'd be happy to continue as a group post w30. I'm not planning to have a post w30 log of my own once I finally do ride my bike (i don't think), but it would be nice to have a place to check in with all y'all now and again. What do you think?

Day 1 of reintroduction today. 

Breakfast - apple, pear, full fat natural Greek yogurt, mixed seeds and chopped hazelnuts

I have been having this but with coconut milk while I have been poorly and the yogurt is a nice change. 

Lunch will be a large salad with home made mayo and parma ham and cheese 'rolls'.

I just roll the two together like a cigar and cut into bite size pieces. 

Snack I will have a milky decaff coffee mid afternoon as I don't want dairy with supper. 

That's the three things that are recommended and the three things I will want to eat occasionally. So fingers crossed. 

• Moderators

It is isn't it? And the juices make for a great stir fry sauce too :)

Oh, good to note! I've put them in a jar in the fridge to defat (ate the chicken as with guac and shredded carrot rolled up in lettuce). Will be using it later. YUM.

Archived