Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

Well, well, 20 of 30 is just about done!  Now it's really flying by and becoming (almost) second nature.  I agree, Sarah, I think the finish line is looking pretty good - and maybe we just keep going.

Emmy, under the heading of "for what it's worth"-  I felt like I caught every single thing my kids brought home when they were little, which was everything that was going around.  But now that they're grown, I'm pretty impervious to that kinda stuff now and haven't been sick in ages.  So if it's helpful at all, just think you're stockpiling your immunity for later in life .

LadyM, that's a pretty profound observation about attention vs. obsession with food. But I completely agree.   My obsession with the dessert menu has also been changed!

Hi, Carrick!  Congrats on someone asking you if you've lost weight!  I went to my every-6-weeks haircut appt. last night and I was also asked if my face was thinner.  Maybe it is.  I added starchy vegetables to my lunch because I was feeling a little light-headed and sleepy mid afternoon, and it seems to work well.  I would also recommend you trying that to see if it works for you.  Things like carrots, sweet potatoes and squash (funny, all orange) are the things I've added to my fridge and lunch.  When I get to late evening and I "feel like something", I've been having a large cup of chamomile tea.  Just the perfect thing to relax with.

Sharyn, how lucky to find a butcher, and one that you love, no less!  Post some of the links here that he shared with you if you can.  I'd be interested in reading them.  Good score on the short ribs.  You probably don't get it there, but there's a show here in the US called America's Test Kitchen and they did a segment on short ribs a bit ago.  (You can google for the recipe if you want - lots of folks blog about doing ATK's recipes, but you'll have to adjust some ingredients to be Whole30 compliant.  Like maybe switch wine out for some vinegar and/or coconut aminos.)

Oh, and happy spring to everyone!  It finally stopped raining here and I am definitely getting out for a walk after work.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Spring, everyone!  I'm hoping to say a final farewell to the endless winter we've been having here this year.  (And, yes, it's supposed to snow next week... :angry: )  But this time of year, it melts away quickly!

Feel better, Emmy!  Best to everyone today!

Day 20 went well and today is the first day of Spring and it's a lovely sunny day with fluffy clouds in a blue sky. But rain is forecast for later and snow on the moors over the weekend. Hubby is camping out Saturday night so I think he might take the camper van instead of the tent!! 

Met some friends in a lovely little independent Turkish cafe for tea and a drink last night. I had the most gorgeous baked aubergine with a lamb sauce. The owner assured me that it was home made from fresh ingredients and no sugar was used. I had a large salad with it instead of rice and salad and no dressing. He also made me a mint tea with just hot water and mint leaves. Very tasty and lovely people. I'll go back there!! 

The jeans that I started wearing half way through my first Whole30 fit me again and are getting a bit loose. That makes me very happy as my weight is all in my hips/backside/thighs. 

Onwards buddies, onwards!!

PS my bone broth is smelling FANTASTIC 

I keep buying more than my poor, European-sized fridge can handle when I go to the green market!  We are loving the roasted carrots right now, and since it's Spring there were lots of beautiful choices, including some delicious-looking radishes that were super-fresh (the greens standing firmly upright!).  So once again the fridge is packed to the hilt, to get out my bone broth based cauliflower soup this morning it was like a puzzle, pulling out paper-wrapped packs of this and that to grab the container of soup at the back...

Also, on the weekend I made a great raw broccoli salad (winged it after googling a few recipes) and yesterday I used 1/3 of the gigantic head of cauliflower to make another raw salad, similar idea but this time I grated in a raw beet so it's super-pink and then kept adding healthy veggies one after another.  Another delicious creation... 

Bought some umeboshi plums at the organic market too - looking for ideas for using them, there are so many restrictions on AIP that I wanted to go out of my way to try the few foods on the "allowed"' list that are new to me.  I also bought seaweed, hoping I'll like it.

Day 20 was beautiful here, too.  Finally set up my Fitbit a couple of days ago, and today with a walk around our town lake I hit 10,000 steps - a milestone for me!  Followed by a reflexology session treat.  I was a little sad at putting my college daughter back on the plane today, so the sunshine and massage helped me beat that.  Today was a day off, and I don't see how I could get 10,000 steps in on a work day...hmmm....  we'll see.  

Nothing exciting to report on the food scene except that I'm finding that having a couple of containers of "Well Fed" browned ground beef with onions and garlic powder stashed in the freezer is a lifesaver.  Did not manage a cook-up last weekend and had to scramble a few times to put together something fast.  I'll do another cook-up this weekend.  I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this general prep method and it's going to get easier.  Right?  Right???     Oh, and I'll crock-pot a chicken tomorrow so I can follow that up with some bone broth.  Want some of that great collagen to land in a few strategic spots!!!   ;)

Woo! Day 21 is over and we're on to day 22!! We rock!

My husband came home from work (he works in the North Dakota oil fields), and he's been more or less following the Whole30. He hasn't really cut out any of the terrible stuff, but he won't eat it in front of me because he feels bad. I'm not sure he believes me when I tell him that I really don't mind, and mostly don't even want those things! For example, we've gone out to eat twice since he's been home. I've had a rather hard time finding good food. It's not that we're going to crappy places, it's just that they love to use dairy and grains and legumes. The first place is so excellent. I got a steak, but had to make a lot of substitutions to get rid of dairy, wine, and potatoes. In fact, they sent my meat out with the red wine au jus on top of the meat, and I had to send it back for a new one. The waiter was really nice about it, and we tipped him well, but I'm really not a picky eater, so it was rough for me. But, the meat was still SO good. if any of you are ever near Solon, Iowa, definitely go to the Big Grove Brewery. The food is spectacular, and my friend Bill is the head brewer and he's brilliant at beer. This is, of course, not a Whole30 friendly suggestion, but it's worth being "naughty" to eat and drink there. 

I've started shredding sweet potato into my eggs, and it is so yummy. Shredded sweet potato, green pepper, onion, salt, pepper, spinach, mushrooms, and eggs, and maybe a meat for taste (today I used ground beef with rosemary, thyme, and oregano for an italian taste). Yummmm!

Also, it was warm enough here for the last two days to get out on my husband's motorcycle! Thursday was pretty chilly, but today (Friday), we got to 59 and it was great! I'm getting my motorcycle license in May, I think! Woohoo!!

Day 21 done.  Only a little over 5000 steps - but lots of those on a great mini-hike with my daughter down by a creek.  Really need to make myself do that cook-up tomorrow afternoon and plan a few delicious - not just thrown-together - meals next week. SharynF, keep posting those pics!  You inspired me to dress up the steamed broccoli to go with my plain-ish roasted chicken breast.  Roasted chicken and steamed broccoli, all plain, loses its charm all too quickly!   Here's to week 4!

Well, the Whole30 Daily email said this morning that we were on our last week of the program - wow, it's going pretty quickly!  I guess this is the home stretch.  And I have to admit I'm feeling pretty good about it, and just plain feeling pretty good.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Morning world - it's 7.30am on Day 23 here in England and I have been awake since 4.45 after a few restless hours in bed on my own. I usually sleep well when the husband is away but I started a cold yesterday afternoon and the sore throat,blocked nose and headache kept me from sleeping. Paracetamol seems to have taken the edge off the pain but I don't feel too good :(

Day 22 was another good, compliant day. I started wearing a pedometer a  few weeks back and I am trying to walk more. I did a 90 minute walking tour yesterday and some shopping and clocked up 6565 steps. I have to really make an effort and go for a proper walk to get anywhere near 10,000.

I am planning a lazy day today - watching a DVD on my laptop (no TV) and some iPlayer programmes I want to watch before they expire. Head's too muzzy to attempt my complicated knitting pattern. 

Just about to put some beef short ribs in the slow cooker for tonight. Hubby will be hungry when he gets back from a weekend's camping on Dartmoor - where they had snow yesterday and overnight. 

Onwards buddies!!

• Moderators

Good morning, ladies! Down to the final week, can you believe it?

This is spring break for me, so I'm not sure that I'll do a great big cookup today since I have time later in the week and I've got an extra rehearsal plus a long run on tap today. BTW, I'm playing a stewardess in the farce Boeing Boeing--I think Emmy asked about that some time ago and I forgot to answer (sorry!). It's so much fun. They call it a play for a reason, you know? It feels like playtime most of the time. That's partly what yesterday's W30 email was about. How are all of you getting fun and play into your lives? RIding my bicycle also feels like playtime for me, but it's still a bit too cold for that. But I look forward to it!

Sharyn, what short rib recipe are you using? I've defrosted three pounds of them and can't decide if I'll use my old standby or try something new.

Let the countdown begin!

(Though to be honest, I've decided to continue past 30 days. I feel too good to stop!)

I too am feeling great about being in the home stretch!

Sharyn, I'm the same way with my steps - getting to around 6000 most days, need concerted effort and a specific walk planned to get to 10k. It's happened only rarely.

I don't know if I'll be allowed to continue with you all after 30 days - I'm going to mostly stay the course but since I'm on AIP I will start reintroductions of some of the AIP restricted foods, and one of my first reintroductions will be butter (raw milk, grass-fed, cultured) - and that's not W30 I know (but it's exceptional quality and one of the things I miss the most). Eggs and pepper will be shortly behind (those are ok for W30 but not AIP)

LadyM - I just put the short ribs on a bed of onions, leeks and carrots with a squirt of tomato puree and a couple of cups of my beef bone broth. It was fantastic. SO tender and tasty. Will try your recipe next time. 

Still full of cold and I have been taking painkillers which I rarely do. I have taken more during this w3O than in the previous couple of years. 

Oh well - it's almost 8pm and I think I'll have an early night. I mentioned sleeping in the spare bed and hubby said ok. He normally refuses to let me do that. Worried now :(

EDIT - he complained about me in spare room when we went up so all is OK :)  :wub:

Day 23 down.   Loving the steadier energy. Leftover broccoli and chicken for breakfast is YUM now! I think I'm learning to tell the difference between really being hungry and just wanting to eat.  I'm finding other ways to calm down and energize, like herbal teas, stretches, and - more sleep!  Good night!

Hey all, thought I should check in. Unfortunately I got hit with a very nasty strain of gastro about halfway in, which left me in hospital for a while and unable to follow the W30. Pretty bummed out about it, but am going to start over once I can properly tolerate full meals again.

You guys have all done so well, I'm really impressed. Looking forward to following your home stretch - you can do it!

• Moderators

Good morning, gals. How we feeling on day 24?

I think I've come up with a post-W30 plan for myself. I've done reintroductions several times before. I know gluten and soy are not my friends, a little fermented dairy is OK, and sugar/alcohol are not ideal but I can tolerate them in moderation. So, I'll forgo reintro and simply stick to template except one day per week when I'll allow myself to be social and eat what I desire. More than likely that will include a cocktail or glass of wine (or two). Then back to W30 the rest of the week. I'm interested in seeing how it goes as an experiment. I will probably extend my W30 to at least a W34 or W35, when the show opens and my dad gets into town. That's when the experiment will begin.

Today's W30 email is about eliminating toxic chemicals in the kitchen and bathroom. Anyone here into that? I've done some eliminating of toxic chemicals over the years in both areas, and I feel good about that. I've also stopped using plastic containers for my food.

@Sarah--I give you double credit for foregoing butter while in France, and I am so with you on longing for the high quality stuff! I use a lot of ghee I make at home from KerryGold grassfed butter, but I still miss the real stuff.

@Sharyn--glad your hubs missed you and that made you feel loved! Thanks for the tip on how you made your shortribs. I really do highly recommend that nomnom recipe. It's so good it's almost food without brakes! And the leftover gravy is marvelous on other beef.

@MisTariPie--welcome back! Sorry you've been through the ringer. Hope you're 100% soon!

@Carrick--those are HUGE gains! Congrats!

I have just heated some Kingfisher organic coconut milk with a teaspoon of organic cocoa powder as I have a cold and wanted something warming with a good mouth feel for my sore throat. Boy was it good. Maybe SWYPO but it hit the spot and hasn't set off any cravings. 

wow - you all are doing so well!  How are you holding up, Emmy?  I hope you're feeling better - and SharynF (and anyone else under the weather) get well soonest!

We're in the home stretch.  oh my.  Yay, us!

I'm looking forward to the reintroduction process.  I've done something similar over all my time on Atkins (adding in foods by "rung" and seeing what happens...)  Paying attention is critical - it's how I found out ages ago that for me corned beef and cabbage trigger the hungries like nothing else.  Who knew?  (This was even with a no-sugar added corned beef.)

I bought a lovely organic cabbage and will be cooking it up this week, so we'll see what happens next.  :ph34r:

Have a wonderful week, all!

@MissTariPie, so sorry to hear about your illness and landing in the hospital no less.   Good luck to you getting better and back on plan.  I'll be sticking around past day 30 and so feel free to continue to update as you go along!  I'm hopeful other folks will as well.  It'll be great to hear about post Day 30 progress and success.

@Sarah, I think that butter is Paleo though, so I agree it's a logical choice for post Whole 30, especially the quality stuff you mentioned!  I'm planning to reintroduce butter and cream back at some point, but will stay away from other milk and dairy.  That's the plan, anyway.  And I agree @LadyM, there needs to be a day for some amount of alcohol in there.  I've been doing the 'club soda with a lime' thing with success, but really do miss the occasional drink.  Does anyone know what the best post-Whole 30 alcohol choice is?  I know none is best, but as an example, is wine better than beer?  Not sure if there is a recommendation about one being better than another - or is it just 'one is better than two'?  ;)

Interesting point about the Whole 30 Daily email today on chemicals.  I've been thinking lately about nail polish, particularly the shellac and needing to use acetone to take it off.  I know it's probably a really bad thing.  Very timely email for me for sure.  Maybe now that my nails are so much stronger, I'll forego the shellac and just use a coat of regular polish.

I'm thinking about making a meatball recipe for later this week - does anyone have a good one that is W30?

(I'm actually AIP but getting good at making the recipe substitutions)

And it's asparagus season in Europe, yum yum!

I've not made W30 meatballs yet, but it's March Meatball Madness at theclothesmakethegirl.com!  :)  (Well Fed's Melissa Joulwan's blog)

woot.  I need to make me some.  :wub:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/08/march-meatball-madness/

Archived