Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been doing the 'club soda with a lime' thing with success, but really do miss the occasional drink.  Does anyone know what the best post-Whole 30 alcohol choice is?  I know none is best, but as an example, is wine better than beer?  Not sure if there is a recommendation about one being better than another - or is it just 'one is better than two'?  ;)

I've also been doing the club soda with lime. I've noticed that whenever I drink, I get congested sinuses. It's worse if I drink beer, but also happens with red wine. It doesn't happen with hard alcohol. My dad is allergic to hops, and I'm allergic to wheat (as a plant, never known if that means I shouldn't eat it as well. It probably does and that's one of my main motivations for doing the Whole30). Beer will be part of my reintroduction as I LOVE a good microbrew. I don't drink the swill.

All that aside, tequila is a paleo alcohol as it's distilled from agave and not a grain. Robb Wolf's book "The Paleo Solution" also says red wine is ok, probably because it's fermented from grapes and not a grain. I'm not sure about white wine. If beer winds up being really bad for me, I'll be REALLY sad, and probably drink it anyway. 

I'm having allergy testing on the 26th, so I'll have them test some food items too. 

It's Day 25 and my cold isn't getting any better - in fact I feel worse today than yesterday and I cancelled plans to go out today. I am really wanting something different to eat. Cheese seems to feature high on the list. I am staying strong because I know that will hurt my already sore throat. I may make some butternut squash soup with my lovely beef broth and sip that all day. I know it's not right but if it gets me through this munchie stage I shall feel I have won a battle. 

Hope everyone else is feeling better/feeling strong/doing great (delete as applicable).

Onwards!

• Moderators

Good luck, Sharyn! Sorry you're not feeling well. Sometimes just a nice salty bone broth will do the trick for me. Perhaps start with that? But yes, push through the munchies and avoid the cheese! It can only make things worse.

• Moderators

Day 25 and I'm feeling sluggish and achey but also quite good about the way I'm eating. Feeling fat adapted and strong. This W30 has been a completely different experience from my first. It simply hasn't been a fight. Three template meals a day with a pre workout nosh here and there and I'm good.

Excited about eating this week, too. NomNom's slow cooker Korean short ribs are in the crock pot as I type. Looking forward to those for this evening's meal with WF2's sesame cucumber noodles. I finally fully drank the kool-aid and joined the local food co-op where I found freshly ground organic raw tahini. That should make the sesame cukes that much more tasty. I swear, I never eat as well as I do on a W30! That's why I'm going to continue with it except for off-roading once per week. That's my post W30 plan right now. Remind me: what is everyone else doing? I know we've got some AIP folks here. . . .

Good luck, Sharyn! Sorry you're not feeling well. Sometimes just a nice salty bone broth will do the trick for me. Perhaps start with that? But yes, push through the munchies and avoid the cheese! It can only make things worse.

I am making a huge pot of leek and celery soup as the squash had gawn orf (best snooty Brit accent) and is in the bin. My bone broth is in the soup pan too - it could do with a boil as strained it on Saturday. That should keep me going for several days on lunches and snacks. Hey ho! 

<snip>

I swear, I never eat as well as I do on a W30! That's why I'm going to continue with it except for off-roading once per week. That's my post W30 plan right now. Remind me: what is everyone else doing? I know we've got some AIP folks here. . . .

Right?  Except for some occasional timing/lazy issues, I've been cooking and eating WELL all month.  I want to keep it up! 

My post plan:  I am going to reintroduce 3 things just to "know" - dairy, then rice (since my honey and I will probably go for sushi for our 10th anniversary the end of April) and soy (I'll bring my own tamari to the restaurant, which will embarass him, for sure - heh).  So, a week of testing, then back to W30 until late April/early May for our dinner.

Likely the only soy I'll ever have in the future is in tamari/soy sauce, and if there's a random ingredient while eating out.  If dairy's ok (I do hope so) it will make a more regular appearance, I think... maybe...

I'm not feeling as fabulous as I had hoped - but I'm not working out, not meditating, not doing all manner of things that would help, BUT! I AM feeling good. :)  I'll take it!  And keep on W30-ing most of the time... (well, that's the plan...)

5 days to go!   Have a great one, everyone!

I'm feeling great with much reduced depression. We're almost done! 

I'll be reintroducing dairy and grain for sure, just to see how I react. I'm planning on keeping Paleo, while allowing myself to enjoy care-free outings with friends. Being the picky customer all the time is icky. I really want a cheeseburger! Everything will depend on how I feel after reintroductions. Having my depression nearly gone is a great incentive to remain paleo!

A few minutes ago, I happened to smell my husband's Trix and gagged because they smelled like nasty chemicals. Blegh! I had been considering trying them post Whole30, but not anymore!! 

I don't think I've lost as much weight as I'd hoped, but I feel much better. Feeling is more important! And, I haven't exactly been working out, so I shouldn't complain. Soon it will be warm enough to ride my bike outside. 

5 more days, friends!

Wanted to share with y'all one added benefit of the Whole30 that I didn't actually realize until yesterday. First a little history, I had a hysterectomy back in 2010 and have dealt with extreme hot flashes ever since. That is until now, I realized yesterday that I haven't had hot flash in over 3 weeks! :D  I don't know why I hadn't noticed, but am so very happy to not have them anymore!

Last night I set out breakfast for this morning, since I have to be at allergy testing at 9:30 am and I'm known neither for punctuality nor being an early riser. Instead, even with only 4 hours of sleep, I awake refreshed, and find time not only to shower, but to make a 2 egg scramble with cauliflower, spinach, and mushrooms. Whole30 is pretty much magical.

megalinity! That's a GREAT idea: setting stuff out for the morning. I always aim to have my lunch bag ready the night before (doesn't always happen!) but this is another step towards being more prepared. I usually try and plan what to cook in the mornings in advance so it's just a matter of up and at it but setting it out beforehand will really help.

Yes, Whole30 IS magical: that I am prepared to get up half an hour earlier than normal to make sure I have enough time to make food before going to work is revolutionary. It's essentially turned me into a morning person, something I've never been. All last weekend I was waking up at 7.30am, no matter how late I got to bed, but I was never grumpy or sleepy. 

The other thing is it's forced me to take MORE time over cooking breakfast and preparing my lunches in the morning than on getting ready -- now that's really great because I'm focusing on what's important (getting the right food in me!) and spending less time on what's not (faffing around and taking far too long getting dressed!)

In fact I haven't been wearing makeup on a daily basis for a few weeks now and I have always thought it's because I am low on time because of spending too long getting breakfast ready but actually now I think it's partly because my priorities have shifted and surely partly because I'm feeling so good and looking so good that I don't need makeup! (I'm also trying to use fewer chemicals on myself and I'm sure that's part of it too, but I am sure that the major thing is I'm feeling and looking so much better!)

Some very positive posts coming in - aren't we doing well? I still miss Emmy though. I do hope she's ok 

Day 26 and I am still full of cold but starting to feel a little bit human again. I made a trip to the supermarkets this morning to stock up and I think just getting out of the house helped although I was exhausted when I got back home. And then you have to put everything away............

I had bacon and eggs on spinach with avo oil for breakfast, roasted chicken thighs with homemade coleslaw and avocado and mixed fruit for lunch. Supper will be roast lamb chops with cumin roasted cauliflower and broccoli - one of our favourite quick suppers as hubby is going bell ringing tonight. I have a ticket for a photographic presentation but I won't go as it's still very cold here at night and I don't want to set back my recovery. It's a shame as it's been a four week series but I shall stay warm and cosy at home with my book. 

Stay focussed - we are nearly there. Anyone else going on through Lent?

Sharyn, I caught your cold!  But I happened to have done the Nom Nom slow-cooker roasted chicken and then a 24-hour crockpot bone broth, so I made up a big pot of the most fabulous chicken soup - classic onions, celery & carrots well-wilted in copious coconut oil (anti-viral, right?).  So I can't say I'm feeling fabulous, but I'm feeling well nourished.  And I stayed home and let the rest of the world run itself for a couple of days.  So I'm doing internet research on local grass-fed beef and free range chickens and the like (central Texas - not too hard to find).  

Other than the darn cold, I'm so much better.  I feel like I'm beginning to be myself again.  But I'm also realizing that it is going to take a while to repair the gut, to figure out what some of the triggers are, to balance hormones, to detoxify, and just generally heal.  I've sort of mapped out a 9-month strategy to focus on different areas so it doesn't become totally overwhelming (and so I don't go totally broke).  So I do plan to continue this through Lent - actually at least through April and maybe May.  I am going to switch over to AIP for the second round, as I am suspicious of nightshades (though I don't know how I will live without tomatoes, peppers, and even eggplants - especially with the local cuisine!).  But might as well go in with my eyes open.  I am hopeful that with things cleaned up and healed, I can tolerate at least SOME of that stuff.  But I"m ready to say goodbye to gluten and sugar, and most dairy.  I do want to reintroduce regular butter and maybe greek yogurt.   One at a time.   So April will be AIP, May will be some detox experiments, June will be, I hope, introducing HIT exercise.  March went by really fast!

Funny, at this point I'm not really craving things.  I hope that is permanent!  I have no idea how much weight I've lost - I do know I finally got back in my jeans - yea!  But I really like the 30-day ban on weighing.  I got far too caught up in that.  I've decided to impose a parallel schedule for trying on old "thin clothes".  At the end of each segment, I'll try on, toss, and save stuff that still might look great later on.  (WIll have to consult teenage daughters to see what has gone hopelessly out of style, though. . .  :rolleyes:

Rock on, my friends.   heres' to a big accomplishment right on the horizon!

• Moderators

Carrick, despite your illness, you sound truly on top of your game! (Also, I grew up in Dallas, and knowing you're in Texas gives me little heart pangs!). I've cut way back on nightshades this W30 because I know they aggravate my fiery Pitta nature (I have some background in Ayurveda), but I've allowed myself seeds, spices, and eggs--not in accordance with AIP. It's worked really well for me without the headache of true AIP restrictions, which in and of themselves can make a gal's cortisol go through the roof. That's not at all to diminish folks's AIP efforts--I did it for a time and I truly respect those one the natural path to self healing. Just wanted to offer my experience. We're all unique snowflakes, as they say.

You sound much better, Sharyn! Are you continuing to be on the mend?

TDC, I find I wear a lot less makeup while on W30, too. It's not that my skin actually looks better (though I never can tell, really--it always looks a mess to me), but I get so much more accepting of myself and comfortable in my skin, so to speak, while on W30. It's marvelous!

Such great strides, Megalinity! I love how we're sharing the changes we're noticing. I'm still hesitant to declare W30 magical, but it's pretty great. Check with me tomorrow. Tiger Blood makes me say "magic."

I woke up this morning with puffy itchy eyes and now have conjunctivitis in my left eye. Very painful and the cream hubby got from the pharmacy isn't doing much. Cold still heavy too. Feeling really peed off as I should be fighting fit and immune this far into a Whole30. Last time I was awesome. 

Food ok although too many nuts today as comfort snacks. Need to break that habit but nuts are good and healthy so I am being kind to myself. 

Got to go out tomorrow as I am meeting a friend for a walkthrough of a new tour we are learning. Need to find some energy (and sight) from somewhere. 

Onwards (although I think I am going backwards)

@Megalinity! - thanks for the info on the tequila.  I didn't know it was Paleo.  I'm thinking of continuing on Paleo going forward.  But that's really interesting about your congestion, though.  That was one of my reasons to do Whole30 (nightime congestion) and I have just recently noticed that it's so much better, and boarderline "gone"!  It's funny how you don't notice when something gets better or disappears - just like you also mentioned, @Debbie MB.

You all are making such delicious sounding meals, I'm inspired to continue just to cook what you're posting about.  Congrats on everyone doing so well, feeling so well, and getting back into some formerly tight clothes.  I'm finding I can get ready quicker in the morning now because I'm not fussing so much with what I'm wearing - mostly because I think it's all looking better and fitting better.

Still amazes me it went by so quickly.

• Moderators

Sharyn, I got conjunctivitis for the first time in my life when I did my first W30 last year. How weird! It's a dreadful affliction, but easily clears up with antibiotic drops. Please get some asap!

Doc's appointment in an hour. Eye is still very red and sore and I am concerned about the weekend looming. Compliant breakfast of fried mushrooms, fried eggs and this breakfast meatloaf  Just leave out the maple syrup as indicated for Whole30. I can't see why it's in there anyway as it is totally scrummy without.  Hubby is home and we had the same, he loved it too. 

Three days, three days, three days!!

Onwards :)

• Moderators

Yum! I'm going to try that recipe, Sharyn. Thanks! Glad you're going to the doc. You'll mend quickly as soon as you start the right drops!

I had dreams about going off plan last night. It was upsetting knowing I was so close! I did buy organic cream top plain yogurt yesterday in anticipation of riding my own bike. It's strange to me that that's the food item I most want.

A better alcohol choice is perfect for me, given there are times when I'm just going to go beyond club soda with a lime.  Tequila and some kind of fruit juice will be a perfect choice, maybe lime juice sweetend with agave.  And of course, the key is to just have one.

I'm thinking of taking the week and weekend off after Day 30, which will be concurrent with a small vacation, then starting again on April 7.  I saw a thread started for someone looking for others to start on that day.  I want to focus on eliminating coffee (maybe all caffeine) and doing better with breakfast timing and content.  @LadyM I agree, it is funny what food you zero in on to have - for me it's oatmeal, speaking of breakfast.  I think that's been the hardest part of the day to adapt to.

Archived