Starting on March 1st. 2014

EmmySkimmy

Congrats on one week in the bag, folks!

I vote Grand Budapest Hotel, Sharyn! Can't wait to see it myself.

Didn't get to either - the cat had an operation yesterday and we locked the cat flap so he couldn't get out overnight. I couldn't unlock it and didn't want to leave him out so long. But I am going to make sure I see both films next week. Book Thief first and then GBH to cheer me up the next day. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I meant to ask, @megalinity! , what's this about riced cauliflower?  Sounds interesting.

Oooh! It's the easiest thing in the whole world. Ok, maybe that's an over exaggeration. 

Cut cauliflower into florets

Put florets into food processor (not too much, I fill mine half full).

Pulse food processor for one-second intervals until the bits are about the size of rice grains. I generally have to pulse it about 10 times, depending on how full the processor is (fuller = more pulses)

Pre-heat sautee pan on med-high heat.

Melt ½ tablespoon coconut oil in pan.

Put riced cauliflower into pan

Sautee for about 3 minutes, until a nice golden color. 

Enjoy!

A whole cauliflower makes a TON of rice. Mine made 5 generous helpings. I don't know how much, because I never measured it. 

I just came back from a friend's party where the only Whole30 compliant foods were the scotch eggs I brought. I was stupid and didn't eat dinner; I just ran out of time! The eggs took longer to make than I anticipated. I guess I should really keep some emergency Larabars or something on hand that I can grab on my way out the door. I'd been doing so good cooking each meal! And then it turned out that I really didn't like the scotch eggs very much, so I only had one. They're huge, so it kept me full for a while, but I was there from about 8 pm to 2 am. Whoops. 

My friend had made chocolate covered marshmallows and rolled in almonds or sprinkles. It was very hard, but I didn't cheat! I was also the only one not drinking, but that's never bothered me before, and it didn't bother me tonight. There were, however, a LOT of Diet Cokes floating around, and those are my weakness. BUT! I didn't have one! Yay!! I'm just so happy with myself for not giving in. Those marshmallows and diet cokes were HARD to avoid! 

I came home and made 3 scrambled eggs and ate a banana and some almonds. Workin' the mini meal like a pro. I would have eaten fish and steamed broccoli, but I don't have any fish in the house  :P

Hope you're all doing well!

@ megalinity - you rock, that's all  :D

Day 9 has dawned bright and clear and I am feeling gooooooooooood. Starting to get that 'I don't want to sit on my butt all day' feeling. Which is strange because I have spent most of the past 3 years sitting on my butt! Going to work out today how to fit my bike rack to my car as I think I may actually get a chance to use it next week. I've had it since Christmas Day and not had a chance to use it yet. Today is housework and cooking - chicken broth is on the hob right now - as tomorrow and Tuesday I am out and busy. That's when I usually make a pathetic effort at a bit of housework   :wacko: 

Have great Sundays and get ready for next week

Onwards buddies! 

I started my Whole 30 on March 3rd (Monday), so today will be day 7 for me.  I am feeling more energetic; "brighter and lighter". Before starting I felt like an arthritic, bloated tick.  Has anyone else experienced freaky weight loss? I have lost a pound a day since starting. I know it is recommended to not obsess with the scale but I am also considering the whole 30 as a scientific experiment and keeping records. I am expecting a plateau soon. I am a diabetes nurse and thought I should walk the walk before I recommend this to patients. What are your experiences?  

I started my Whole 30 on March 3rd (Monday), so today will be day 7 for me.  I am feeling more energetic; "brighter and lighter". Before starting I felt like an arthritic, bloated tick.  Has anyone else experienced freaky weight loss? I have lost a pound a day since starting. I know it is recommended to not obsess with the scale but I am also considering the whole 30 as a scientific experiment and keeping records. I am expecting a plateau soon. I am a diabetes nurse and thought I should walk the walk before I recommend this to patients. What are your experiences?  

If you truly want to "walk the walk,"  please follow ALL the rules, including no weighing/body measurements for 30 days.  Those aren't recommendations: they are requirements of the program. Hide that scale!  :) 

Keep records instead on how you feel, when you notice you're satiated, and any other changes you observe as you go through the process. The scale will be there on day 31 and forever after.

Losing a pound a day sounds like a lot - could be reducing inflammation or water.  Are your meals satiating you for 4-5 hours?  If you want to confirm you're eating enough, post 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section.

I'm rocking today - made chicken broth, lamb sauce for moussaka, cleaned all the downstairs windows, swept the patio, washed up twice. This from a slothful happy-to-sit-and-read-all-day person. Loving the increase in energy although I am sure seeing the sun and feeling its warmth makes a difference. Not often you can work outside in UK in March wearing just a sleeveless vest and feel hot! 

• Moderators

My experience has been that I followed my first W30 to the letter and didn't lose any weight. I was discouraged, but learned so much about myself through the process. It's been amazing to be liberated from the scale obsession.

I do think it's more than a recommendation to stay off the scale. It's your choice, of course, but I think that guideline that rule is for a very good reason and does not work against keeping records. Measurements at the beginning and end, including the scale, should give you a good sense of what's going on in terms of external measures; staying away from the scale for 30 days helps you tune in to internal measures.

Everyone has a different effect from W30 based on her own particular body, what she's been feeding it, and how she's been treating it. Best of luck to you!

So Bummed, I thought not weighing was more of a recommendation for mental health.  Unfortunately, I can't recommend this program to my patients unless I have hard data to submit to my medical director and  program manager.  They prefer science and data.  Wouldn't you require that of your medical team on all recommendations?  I developed wicked high triglycerides out of the blue last year.  I suspect it was caused by my mostly carbohydrate vegetarian diet for 7 months.   I measured everything before beginning and do not plan to measure again until the end.  Just wondering if this is expected.   I am not counting cal.  I am eating according to the template at my meals but I have to force myself to eat it all.  I am simply not as hungry at meals.  I have plantar fascitis so I am not exercising.  I am not complaining about the weight loss, I am 60 lbs over normal. Just wondering if others are having similar experiences. I feel good, better than in years. 

I can't see that daily weighing provides 'hard data'.  Clinical tests on a daily basis for sure but not a number on a set of probably inaccurate scales. 

If you eat enough to keep you full til the next meal that is fine. Don't overeat. About once a week I reduce portions to see if I need less food on my plate. Often I do but sometimes I am hungry and eat more. 

So Bummed, I thought not weighing was more of a recommendation for mental health.  Unfortunately, I can't recommend this program to my patients unless I have hard data to submit to my medical director and  program manager.  They prefer science and data.  Wouldn't you require that of your medical team on all recommendations?  I developed wicked high triglycerides out of the blue last year.  I suspect it was caused by my mostly carbohydrate vegetarian diet for 7 months.   I measured everything before beginning and do not plan to measure again until the end.  Just wondering if this is expected.   I am not counting cal.  I am eating according to the template at my meals but I have to force myself to eat it all.  I am simply not as hungry at meals.  I have plantar fascitis so I am not exercising.  I am not complaining about the weight loss, I am 60 lbs over normal. Just wondering if others are having similar experiences. I feel good, better than in years. 

It Starts With Food has tons of science behind it. The Master References appendix is 20 pages long, with hundreds of references.

So I made it through day 8 & 9! Energy leaves are slowly rising, still some aches and pains, but much better than it was a few days ago.

I have decided to bump my diet up to the AIP level and cut out the eggs, nuts, seeds, tomatoes, bell peppers, Cheyenne, and chili from my food list. I cut bell peppers out a few years ago because I felt awful after eating them. I was eating some cashews yesterday and my mouth was itchy afterwards...so hopefully adding these to the no-no list will help as well.

No pancakes today, my son was disappointed, but I just didn't have the energy. We were invited to the in-laws for Sunday dinner...oh my father in-law had to make Komle...very Norwegian dish...one of my favorites and I couldn't eat it since it contains: flour, potato flour, potatoes, milk, butter....I didn't even eat the salted lamb ribs that are boiled with the komle balls...or the sausages. I whipped out my spinach salad, carrot sticks and some garlic pork and eat dinner with them. I felt kind of bad, because I know he made it for me in mind...Then we went next door to my sister- in-law's house (rather small island) where it was my niece's 14th birthday and there were five different cakes layed out....(In Norwegian) Me: " Elin do you have any more strawberries that are not sugared, or in cream, just plain?)" Elin: "Yes, here you go."...Me: very happy and content..

Hope my energy keeps rising and I am pain free and ready to hit the gym on Tuesday!

Good job everyone.

@Firesprite... Lymes disease is caused from an infection from the Borreliose bacteria most often contracted from a tick bit. If not treated soon enough or properly it can lead to chronic Lymes Disease. It basically turns into something very similar to an autoimmune disease.

So we (I) suffer from period of headaches, muscle aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, depression, mad sugar cravings (bacteria loves sugar!)... My hip pain started coming back so that is what has pushed me to over the edge enough to just jump on the Whole30 train. I have gone gluten free before, but I still had the crazy cravings for the white stuff..I find this time by cutting out all grains and dairy I actually don't have any cravings and for the first time in years (even though I have been extremely tired) I have not been obsessing about food nor have I had a craving in the past 9 days. If anything I am very happy with that!

Hey all!  I was away for the long weekend (Friday till Sunday evening) and so I missed all this posting, but I've been thinking of you all and am glad to report that after 3 days of restaurants I was successful and followed the diet.  I used all the tips I found online and in The Daily email and did quite alright, except for one errant small crouton I mistook for chicken at a dimly lit lunch place :) , which is really too small to fuss about.  I did great asking to keep cheese off the salads and subbing olive oil for dressing, and carefully selecting dinner entrees.  It's amazing how you can navigate a menu.  And of course no dessert or alcohol, so I had the club soda and lime suggestion I also read.

I'm pretty jazzed I was able to muddle through.  This was a last minute trip (I had no prior plans for March vacation / trip so figured it was a good Whole 30 month) but it worked out fine.  So like @SharynF says, "onwards!"

@EmmySkimmy, sorry you had to miss the Komle!  Reminds me of my trips to Stavanger.  You also don't get to have brown cheese for awhile either :(  but hang in there!

Thanks for all the tips on the cauliflower rice - I'm going to give that a try this week.  You all are inspiring me to cook more.

I haven't stepped on the scales since beginning, but my clothes tell me I've lost quite a bit of weight.  :) I'm back into size 14 jeans comfortably, from a tight size 16.

As a type 2 diabetic, I thought you'd like to know my findings thus far. I started my Whole 30 on Feb. 17, my fasting glucose level was 133. After 10 days it was down to 107. Today it was 85. I have had a consistent drop since beginning, although I haven't had any decrease in my medication as yet. Doc wants to see me again at the end of the program, but since I did a restart on March 1, I plan to go until the end of the month before seeing him. I'll keep you posted.

I haven't stepped on the scales since beginning, but my clothes tell me I've lost quite a bit of weight.  :) I'm back into size 14 jeans comfortably, from a tight size 16.

As a type 2 diabetic, I thought you'd like to know my findings thus far. I started my Whole 30 on Feb. 17, my fasting glucose level was 133. After 10 days it was down to 107. Today it was 85. I have had a consistent drop since beginning, although I haven't had any decrease in my medication as yet. Doc wants to see me again at the end of the program, but since I did a restart on March 1, I plan to go until the end of the month before seeing him. I'll keep you posted.

That is most excellent! Keep it up!  :D  :lol:

I made the cauliflower rice on Friday. But I've been eating lower carb for years and just don't eat the starches (rice, potatoes, pasta, etc). The cauliflower rice was fine, but I don't think I'd bother making it very often - a lot of work for someone who doesn't miss rice at all... I guess if I ever manage to convert my family (ha!) I'd put it in rotation. But since I'm the only one eating this way right now, it's just easier for me to just not eat the regular rice and just have one meal...

Made a fabulous new salad of fennel, red onion and orange (twist of this one is it's roasted) - delicious and easy (and AIP)

Emmy, glad to have company on AIP. My main reference for it is paleomom.com and her fabulous (but huge!) new book. She has a much stricter and more detailed AIP than you will find elsewhere. But my feeling was if I'm going to do it, I'm doing it all in... Let me know if I can help in any way - I'm no expert, but I'm a few days of AIP ahead of you (day 10 now!)

@Sarah... wow that salad sounds amazing and I'm definitely going to check out the book you recommended! Thanks for the tip.

@Racemom... you've been in Stavanger a few times? Oil business, just to site see or family/friend? I love brown cheese so I thought that this would be a  problem but it hasn't.. yippie. Congrats on navigating you way through a successful weekend!

@DebbieMB.. that is fantastic! My clothes are fitting loose as well, and my stomach is not bloated and bulging out.

Question about AIP...are we suppose to be on it for 90 days? Some of the foods are to be eliminated for 90 days like eggs and nuts.

I was thinking about staying AIP strict for 90 days anyway because I have been sick for many years and I want to get the best results.

Day 10...a third through the first round of 30s  :) .

Joint pain is much better, but not completely away. I have just slept until noon, so hopefully I can stay awake the rest of the day. ;) At least I feel like the brain fog has mostly lifted. Miss going to the gym and going for hikes/walks. Maybe I'll feel up to a short walk later, and my gym session tomorrow. 

Goal today is to clean my son's room with him. After that, we'll see how much energy I have left....pork chops in the crock pot for dinner.

Hope everyone has a happy healthy day.

• Moderators

I just want to add a bit of encouragement to all of us facing cravings and having to say no to some of our old favorites: it's just 30 days (or however long you choose). One of the things I struggled with the first time I did a W30 was the unconscious belief that food choices would always be hard. They're not. You will not be on W30 (or AIP) forever. If you stay paleo, it gets easier.

Solidly in the second week now, and I'm starting to feel stronger and more alive, which helps me enjoy the process more.

Just wanted to share a story with you all.

While helping my husband get ready for work this morning, I accidentally got Nutella on my finger and instantly put it in my mouth. I actually gagged on the sweetness of it!  :lol:  I immediately went to the sink and spit it out and had to rinse my mouth out! If you knew me, you would know how strange that was because I LOVED Nutella! Notice the past tense there? I don't think I'll ever be able to eat it again, and that's perfectly fine with me.  :)

Day 10 has come and gone and I have had a great day. Good food, plenty of exercise in the warm sun and now an evening with hubby with the wood burner alight. The only thing wrong in my world is my cat, Mango, not being too well. He had an op on Friday to remove three teeth and he's not eating and behaving strangely. Back to the vet tomorrow I think :(

Hi everyone. My husband and I started on March 1. I've been following the plan but my biggest issue has been feeling like I need to snack. I'm used to the small meals 4-5 times a day. I go crazy between breakfast and lunch. Can anyone tell me why the direction of no snacking or any advice?

Archived