I'm back! Last time I didn't get as much out of the program as I'd hoped, so this time I'm giving it 45 days and eliminating nuts. I'll be posting more meals, exercising more, and working with a new stress management technique. I'm also committing to putting away the scale, which was a real struggle for me last time. So let's see if I feel a bit better at the end of this one.

Goals:

1. Increased energy

2. Improved complexion

3. Less stress

4. Weight reduction (starting weight: 137)

So jumping right in....

Day 1

M1

-3 fried eggs w/ a whole lot of spinach, mushrooms, onions, squash
-chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

(later)
-had a couple nibbles of Bahn Mi burgers and chili as I cooked

M2
-beef chili w/ bell peppers
-steamed broccoli w/ olive oil
-roasted sweet potato

M3
-spicy beef chili w/ squash
-blueberries

Day 2

M1
-3 fried eggs w/ spinach, mushrooms, onions
-coconut oolong tea w/ coconut milk

M2
-1 deviled egg
-baked chicken
-roasted sweet potato
-1/4 c ginger glazed carrots

M3: mini meal b/c M1 was at nearly 11
-1 deviled egg
-small serving of garlic creamed spinach
-2 roasted brussels sprouts

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so glad you asked because I'm pretty excited about it! I went onto Amazon.com and searched for stress management books, and the #1 ranked result was a book called "The Tapping Solution". It uses a method called EFT which combines acupressure and traditional talk therapy to retrain your body's stress responses. It's all about how to make the most of our understanding of the mind-body connection. I'm only 1/2 way through the book and have been putting off tackling the feelings/stress I have around being sick (it's such a big one) but I can say that it's helped a lot with coping with a job I don't like!

Just curious...how tall are you? Also, what were your results like last time around? Specifically, in what area did you find your results most disappointing?

Interesting question! I'm 5'6". Why do you ask? I was disappointed to see no difference in energy. I have a vaguely autoimmune disorder and have tried dozens of things and really hoped this would help. Nada. In fact I felt worse for the majority of the month. I also hoped to see my skin clear up some, but that didn't happen either. I did lose 6 lbs so that was something...

I asked because you're at 137 pounds currently and one of your goals is to lose weight--I just had a hunch that you're already at a healthy weight. Maybe your weight expectations are a little bit lofty/unrealistic? It's very hard on the body to lose below what YOUR BODY considers healthy--and this might be different than what your mind wants. 

Day 3

M1

-ground turkey w/ onions & squash

-ginger glazed carrots

-steamed broccoli

-coffee w/ coconut milk

M2

-baked chicken breast

-garlic sizzled green beans

-sweet potato

-2 blackberries

-decaf w/ coconut milk

Pre-WO

-little bit of chicken

-little bit of creamed spinach

M3:

-2 deviled eggs

-2 small Bahn Mi burgers

-roasted brussels sprouts

-1/2 c sauteed onions, mushrooms & zucchini

-1/2 avocado

Ohhhhhh it's Monday. Working on those stress levels. I plan to workout this evening--fingers crossed that I strike that fine balance between not enough exertion and too much.

Day 4

Yesterday's workout went alright! 40 minutes on the elliptical (which is what I do when I'm not up for anything more worthwhile like strength training or a class) before I started feeling sick. Not too bad for me! My goal is 3 workouts per week of my W45, and I think I'll try to avoid doing cardio more than once per week. It's my lazy day go-to.

Otherwise feeling generally normal. I had a dream I licked cane sugar off of something without thinking, and my next thought was "Screw it, I am not starting this Whole45 over. I'll just keep it secret from the forum and move forward like this never happened." Shame on dream me!

M1

-6 deviled eggs (I'm counting in halves of an entire egg, so this adds up to 3 HB eggs plus the filling)

-1/3 c sauteed onions, mushroom & zucchini

-steamed broccoli

-coffee w/ coconut milk (nearly 1.5 hours later b/c coffee pot broke)

M2 got a little crazy. I forgot to eat lunch until nearly 4 (possibly due to late fat intake at M1) so I decided to just keep it light and have a late dinner.

-some chili w/ onions, zucchini, bell peppers

M3

-4 deviled eggs (can you tell I'm trying to get through them?)

-roasted sweet potato

Planning a bunch of cooking for tonight that I didn't get to this weekend. Cauliflower soup, eggplant/tomato casserole, Taj Mahal chicken, and a couple other veggie sides.

I'm enjoying watching your progress! As a fellow 5'6'er, I'd agree that 137 is definitely within the healthy/happy range. I'm currently 153 and would love to get back to 130, but realistically I know that's a bit low for my post-two-baby, still-breastfeeding bod. I'd be very happy with a fit 135, though  :)

Yep, totally agree. I think I'd be up for a slightly higher weight if I could get some more muscle tone, but realistically, it's not in the cards given my current health issues. I weight trained for 3 solid months in 2013, charted out my weight & reps, and saw almost no increase in my strength by the end. But who knows, maybe this is the program that will get me there!

Thanks! Right now, just about none. When I had a trainer we did circuits through the machines. One circuit for strength, one for endurance, etc. That's what I plan to pick back up on during this Whole45. We tried to focus a lot on my arms since they've always been very weak and they fatigue quickly. Even after the 3rd month I was still doing--and getting fatigued with--the minimum possible weight on most of the arms machines: shoulder press, row, bicep curl, triceps extension, etc, (can't remember all the rest but I have a list somewhere :)) plus dips.

I didn't get quite as much done as I wanted before I burned out for the night, but I did mark a lot off of the lengthy to-do list. Among those things, I worked out! I also cooked a double batch of eggplant/tomato casserole and roasted 8 sweet potatoes. The Taj Mahal chicken and cauliflower soup will have to wait yet another day.

This morning was odd. I woke up 20 minutes before my alarm AND wasn't compelled to go back to sleep! I still didn't spring out of bed (I pulled my laptop up into bed with me) but it's kind of a big step! I hope to repeat it and actually get out of bed early in the future.

M1

-5 deviled eggs
-ginger glazed carrots
-1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut milk

M2
-veggie chili
-garlic sizzled green beans
-sweet potato

M3
-2 deviled eggs
-chicken breast w/ hot peppers
-eggplant/tomato casserole
-sautéed onions & mushrooms

Tonight turned into an exceptionally stressful evening so there was no thought of exercise. Somehow I did get some cooking done, but it's 10 p.m. and I'm about ready to drop. Based on past experience, I have a feeling tomorrow's going to be rough. Goodnight, fellow Whole30 crazies.

Today's not been the best but I don't blame Whole30 for that. Stress from last night has left me tired and unable to focus at all. And I'm prett sure the 3 extra pimples I woke up with are stress-related too. I've accomplished next to nothing today. But I am determined to get to work as soon as I finish this post. I'm so ready for a nice relaxing work-from-home day tomorrow!

M1

-chicken breast w/ spicy peppers

-sweet potato

-coffee w/ coconut milk

M2

-curried cream of broccoli soup w/ shredded chicken

-8 blackberries

M3

-3 small Bahn Mi burgers

-garlic creamed spinach

-some other veggie. probably sauteed mushrooms & onions

I also need to work out either tonight or tomorrow if I'm going to hit 3/week. This might not be the day.

I'll have to look up the recipe. It's in Well Fed 2 and I know it required some mayo... 

I'm just about a week into this thing now. I have to say, I feel entirely the same so far. No better, no worse, just me. By this time last round I was requiring a lot more sleep than my usual 8 hrs and still felt more fatigued than normal. Maybe it was more menstrual than I realized at the time. No bloating or tummy discomfort yet either. Do nuts cause those symptoms? That's the only dietary change I've made since last time.

I'm just about a week into this thing now. I have to say, I feel entirely the same so far. No better, no worse, just me. By this time last round I was requiring a lot more sleep than my usual 8 hrs and still felt more fatigued than normal. Maybe it was more menstrual than I realized at the time. No bloating or tummy discomfort yet either. Do nuts cause those symptoms? That's the only dietary change I've made since last time.

Yes, nuts can cause bloating or other stomach issues for some, so that could have been the culprit last time around ...

Day 7

M1

-3 eggs scrambled in squash, onion & spinach

-fauxtmeal

-coffee w/ coconut milk

M1 was late and huge, so this'll be a 2-meal day, plus my post-workout snack.

Post WO

-1 HB egg

-a few big chunks of cinnamon-roasted sweet potato

M2

-2 chicken drumsticks (baked in compliant hot sauce)

-little bit of roasted cauliflower

-8 blackberries

I got my third workout in for Week 1 and am officially on-track with exercise! They've all been pretty short (30-45 min) but whaaaatever. I'm moving. I can increase the duration later.

I won't be tracking my meals this weekend. See ya Monday, all!

Archived