• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 34 (of 45)

11 days left and feeling pretty good, aside from being a little sleepy (tornadoes had the sirens going crazy last night). I'm hoping for a little more mental clarity today than I've had in the past few weeks. I've gone entire days getting almost nothing done, and my work is piling up. This isn't brand new but it's a little worse than it used to be. So that's my goal today--to dig myself out of that hole.

M1 (late): ground turkey & cabbage stir-fry + n'oatmeal + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: shepherd's pie + mushroom soup

M3: chili + steamed veggies?

Lots of cooking this evening. I'm spending the weekend out of town and bringing all that I'll need. I'm very excited to see my old friend :-)

Almost forgot to mention--checked myself out in the mirror this morning and thought "Who's that slender lady?!" Bikini week is in less than a month so that's good news!

Hi. Thanks for commenting on my thread. I googled Ballet Beautiful and if you want to check it out she has a couple vids on YouTube. (Pop right up when you search.).

I haven't read through you whole log but just wanted to say I never felt awesome during my first w30 either. Never felt the "tiger blood." Think I had a lot going on--leaky gut, chronic sleep deprivation, etc--so I never made it there.

I feel better at Day 3 this time than I did by my third week last time! Maybe the bad stage hasn't kicked in yet but I'm feeling way more optimistic.

Hi. Thanks for commenting on my thread. I googled Ballet Beautiful and if you want to check it out she has a couple vids on YouTube. (Pop right up when you search.). I haven't read through you whole log but just wanted to say I never felt awesome during my first w30 either. Never felt the "tiger blood." Think I had a lot going on--leaky gut, chronic sleep deprivation, etc--so I never made it there. I feel better at Day 3 this time than I did by my third week last time! Maybe the bad stage hasn't kicked in yet but I'm feeling way more optimistic.

Hi! Actually this is my 2nd W30 but (believe it or not) this is a TON better than my 1st one. I have an autoimmune disorder so even though I sometimes forget and pout, I ultimately know that all improvement is going to be at a much slower pace than most people. I think PHYSICALLY it helps that after Round 1 ended I gave only 2 weeks before jumping into this round. But I have a feeling that MENTALLY I might have burned myself out on it. Still, the way I feel is slowwwwwly creeping in the right direction. Less dizzy, less fainty, fewer energy ups and downs, and an ever-so-slightly higher average energy level. I was so sure after my disappointing Round 1 that I'd see benefits with another try, so it's nice to look back and know that I read my often-unpredictable body correctly and all it needed was a little more patience.

After this, I won't be jumping into Round 3 right away, but I'll certainly ride my bike carefully and then come back for more after summer. Probably inching myself closer to AIP with each round (this time I kissed nuts goodbye).

Anyway, thank you again for the Beautiful Ballet heads up--can't wait to give it a look after the weekend!

Slowly creeping in the right direction is great!  I think we see so many people posting about bouding in the right direction that we have a hard time seeing the small improvement as the good thing it is.  It sounds like you have the right attitude.

Day 35 (of 45)

Holy cow it's the last day of double-digits. Not to sound crazy, but I'm counting the hours like it's my job (251).

This weekend should be fun! My bestie and I are driving to visit another old friend and his GF so we can all do a Color Run together tomorrow! And there will be a circus in town so we're going to ride an elephant! In addition to lots of other fun-times. I'm also really stoked that Bestie is on a fairly strict diet right now too--I won't have to sit out on all of the cheesy, sugary, grainy, boozy meals that normally accompany out-of-town trips because there will be very few! It should be so much fun. Maybe I'll try to bring back a photo of me up on Dumbo.  :)

M1: 3.5 HB eggs + sweet potato + chai w/ coconut milk (my appetite's been "meh" lately but still I like it more than wanting to eat all the time)

M2: chili + steamed broccoli + asparagus + chamomile w/ coconut milk

M3: something quick and easy before we run off to see Peaches!

Day 38 (of 45)

Thanks, Lady M! This weekend was fantastic. Mini road trip, movie, Color Run and a circus all within 24 hours. No spoilers here, but I'll say I recommend Captain America :).  I ran 2k at the Color Run, which is much more than I planned on. I'm icing my knee now, but no regrets. The circus was surprisingly impressive. There are some incredible contortionists and acrobats out there! And I RODE PATSY THE ELEPHANT! Words can't describe the joy. I looked like an utter fool in all of the photos. Once I get my hands on the photos from friends, I'll see if I can figure out how to post one up here.

One of the coolest parts was that even though all 4 of us were exhausted and fading by Saturday evening, I didn't crash! I didn't feel sick from the fatigue! At several points, I'm convinced I wasn't even the most tired of us. My energy came and went depending on how involved we were in our activities, and I'm so pleased that I got to feel like a *normal person* during all this fun. This round is doing truly great things for me.

I'm working from home today (heck yes, PJs), so I haven't planned out much of my food yet. I'll fill in as I go.

M1: 4 eggs scrambled w/ onions + 1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut milk + sweet potatoes + dried apricots

M2: mushroom & onion soup w/ shredded chicken + dried plums -- found myself having trouble pumping the brakes on the dried fruit so I left most of it at Boyfriend's house.

M3: more sweet potato + a little shredded chicken + small amount of soup

Question: Is it too early to start planning reintros? 

Other question: Can chocolate count as dairy?

• Moderators

Hooray!! Can't wait to see a pic of you on Patsy!

I think a week out is a fine time to start thinking about reintros. Chocolate probably can count as dairy but it might complicate things a bit since sugar is its own beast and cacao can be its own irritant. This is just hypervigilant me talking here, though. I know in the official W30 reintro literature they talk about eating ice cream for dairy, so why not? I just know that I have a sensitivity to cacao (and yes, I love chocolate dearly) and therefore using a chocolate bar or chocolate ice cream as a dairy reintro wouldn't give me very useful information.

Take that for what it's worth, my dear chocoholic friend!

Day 39 (of 45)

I'd considered the sugar but decided not to worry TOO much about it as long as only one food per introduction was especially sugary (and my chocolate is 85% dark).

I hope it's normal that I'm so excited to bring some of my favorite foods back into my life. I don't plan to dive headfirst into a pool of jelly beans, but I'm also uninterested in 100% compliance, particularly with all of the summer events I anticipate. I hope to land somewhere in the 80-90% compliance range for food, and to work out a reasonable guideline for alcohol. Part of me feels like I should be less excited for this to end. Does that mean I haven't really kicked the cravings?

I'll probably do a couple Whole15s over the summer just to be sure everything's in check, and then I'll be back for my official Round 3 in the fall. Who knows, maybe I'll be ready to cut out nuts AND nightshades by then.

M1: chai tea w/ coconut milk + meat crust quiche

M2: onion, cauliflower & sweet potato soup + baked chicken breast + steamed asparagus + peppermint tea w/ coconut milk I ended up eating only a few bites of the chicken and asparagus, and none of the tea before unplanned meetings derailed my afternoon. It's the risk I run by eating lunch at 1:00 instead of 11:45 like everyone else, but that's what suits my schedule.

M3: cauliflower & sweet potato soup w/ shredded chicken + a few bites of spicy chicken that fell off the drumsticks while I was cooking + a few bites asparagus (again, while cooking) + orange

I have been reading your journey and you are so inspirational. 

I have had my troubles with the scale, too. I think it was ultimate downfall when I fell off plan this weekend. 

I notice tomorrow is your day 40 -- you should be so proud of yourself! 

I have been reading your journey and you are so inspirational. 

I have had my troubles with the scale, too. I think it was ultimate downfall when I fell off plan this weekend. 

I notice tomorrow is your day 40 -- you should be so proud of yourself! 

Thanks, Tayleo! I'm excited to be on the home stretch. Bummer about your weekend. But I'll be the first to say that a little extra W30 time is less likely to kill you than it might initially seem  :)

Day 40 (of 45)

Oh mah goodness, it's getting close. Complexion is still all over the place: looked horrible this weekend, but looks decent today. It might be time to put away my hopes of improving that much. But my daytime energy is still much less prone to mini-crashes and my focus has been a little less horrible this week (even without coffee!). Am I convinced I've slayed the sugar dragon? My foray into dried fruit this weekend makes me think probably not, so it's something I'm still keeping an eye on.

M1: Meat crust quiche + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: spicy chicken drumsticks + cauliflower/onion/sweet potato soup + steamed asparagus + peppermint tea w/ coconut milk

M3: 4 eggs scrambled in mushrooms & onions + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

Day 41 (of 45)

You are sooooo close!!

Yes! Yes I am! I can hardly stand it. I'm just a bundle of excitement.

M1: meat crust quiche + sweet potato + chai tea w/ chamomile tea (this meal was spread out over at least 2 hours b/c I kept getting interrupted)

M2: cauliflower, sweet potato & onion soup w/ TONS of shredded chicken + steamed asparagus + chamomile tea w/ just a little coconut milk (need to restock)

M3: TBD

I've given it SOME thought but it's finally time to actually schedule it out! I've decided dairy will be first, but I haven't chosen anything beyond that. Nuts might go second. I might treat artificial sweeteners as a group on its own...it's worth knowing how bad Diet Coke might be for me.

• Moderators

Really? Have you read up on how incredibly toxic artificial sweeteners are to the body? Even if you don't have a reaction you can discern, diet coke is doing terrible things to you.

But it's your ride!

Day 42 (of 45)

It would be soooo weird if I didn't like diet Coke anymore! I mean, obviously that would be a good thing, but so strange. I think the only thing I'd be sad to say goodbye to was the occasional rum & diet. I'm not comfortable with the sugar content of liqueurs or non-homemade fruity drinks, and cream-based drinks are just plain heavy, but straight liquor is way too much for me.

What do you folks drink?

So yesterday was a lot sleepier than usual. More like pre-W30 days. I have a feeling it was stress-related. Vent time: In addition to worrying a lot about Boyfriend's work situation (or lack thereof), this has been a doozie of a work week for me and I very nearly walked out on Tuesday. My annual review is today and although the caliber of my work is not the issue and I've never turned down an assignment, my boss just plain doesn't like me on a personal level. We're having a major struggle about the direction of my role, which is turning into a job FAR from the one I applied to when I first came here, and one that's totally unrelated to my skill set. I need to get better at playing office politics but after 2+ years in a crappy job it's so hard to stay perky and cheerful about everything--which is basically mandatory here unless you want to be branded with having a "bad attitude". Sigh. Vent over.

No matter what happens, I have a fantastic weekend planned. There is a carnival at a nearby university, and after that we're heading to a local brewery for a tour! I don't drink beer even off-Whole30, so Boyfriend just doubles up on his samples...I just like exploring the available activities in neighborhood :-) We're expecting some beautiful weather, and I'm sure we'll find something fun to do Sunday as well. Perhaps it's time to pay the botanical gardens a visit. GOSH I love this time of year! I can't cram enough fun stuff into it!

M1: meat crust quiche + steamed broccoli + sweet potato + chai tea...I forgot I'd run out of coconut milk, and my avocado was a little overripe, so no fats for M1 but I'll run home over lunch and grab some.

M2: cauliflower, onion & sweet potato soup w/ a little shredded chicken + 2 bora bora fireballs + steamed broccoli + 1/2 an avocado

M3: (estimate) salmon filet w/ olive oil on sauteed spinach & onions + carrots + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

3 days left!

Archived