M1: roasted sweet potatoes + 3 HB eggs + 1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: 2 bahn mi burgers + eggplant/tomato casserole + roasted carrots + decaf w/ coconut milk

M3: huge egg scramble: 4 eggs, lotsa onions, lotsa squash, mushrooms (could've eaten more!) + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

Hoping to bust out of this food slump with some cooking over the weekend. Also going to postpone tonight's workout. Still sore!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a recipe for your bahn mi burgers? Made the meat quiche tonight and am so happy to have a new tasty go-to meal, especially for breakfast.

You're not the first to ask! Check page 2 of my log for the recipe, about halfway down. I'm glad you liked the meat crust quiche--it's one of my very favorites.

• Moderators

Thank you! There's not a bad recipe in that book as far as I can tell. Just hadn't gotten to that one yet.

I messed up the meat quiche by using an entire bag of frozen spinach instead of two cups fresh, so it's under seasoned but still good and so handy! And I don't mind extra greens ever!

Day 22

M1: eggs, squash, onions + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: curried cream of broccoli soup w/ chicken + orange ... within 2 hours I started feeling really sick. I was concerned this was the beginning of food poisoning but the nausea plateaued and stayed there until slightly decreasing before M3

snack: 4 strawberries ... was trying to get something down because my stomach was still upset and by this point I thought eating a little might help, but no luck

M3: 1 spoonful coconut butter + 1.5 filets of fish (swai maybe) + sauteed spinach + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

I must be PMSing today, because I've been very snappy. VERY. Poor Boyfriend looked at me wrong and regretted it for the next 2 hours. Friend got a small helping of it via text. Upset tummy didn't help much. My resolve for this program felt more fragile today than it has yet; more than at any point in my first round. Maybe because this time I've come so far but I'm not even halfway done yet. I know food boredom is a factor (rectifying that tomorrow) but it seems bigger than that. Sigh.

Bright side: I had a lovely visit to the grocery store later. $1.25 for 1 lb. of asparagus, $1 for a huge cantaloupe and $1.65 for 1 lb. of strawberries.

I have some ongoing stomach problems, no matter how healthy I eat because of my Crohns. Sometimes it's just totally random, and I often think is it food poisoning? but it's never getting anyone else that ate the same thing! I've found, during a Whole30, that a banana with some coconut milk is like soothing magic to my upset stomach. It's not very tasty, really very bland but honestly it really helps.

Hope you're feeling better today.

Day 24 (of 45)

Unfortunately I felt better only for about 20 minutes this morning before that wonderful time of the month punched me in the uterus. The women in my family have always been cursed with excruciating cramps. I even get mittelschmerz most months--interesting, yes, but useful/comfortable/desirable? No. So today I'm cramping down to my knees and struggling to get some food down.

This is probably why my workout was so abysmal yesterday. I actually gave up after 25 minutes. And I'm almost certain it's why, at 9 p.m. yesterday, I got so suddenly and intensely tired that I HAD to rush to bed. I'd like it on the record that I don't even WANT kids. All of this, senseless! Ugh, I'm sorry I'm grumpy. 

M1: meat crust quiche + half caff w/ coconut milk

M2: chocolate chili + roasted carrots + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

mini-meal: 2 bora bora fireballs + root vegetable chips + a little more chamomile tea w/ coconut milk b/c I was randomly starving

M3: small amount of chili + roasted sweet potato + 6 strawberries

Day 25 (of 45)

M1: meat crust quiche + roasted squash + roasted green beans + half caff w/ coconut milk

M2: chili + broccoli + sweet potatoes + 1/2 avocado + strawberries

M3: root veggie chips + 4 bora bora fireballs + sweet potato

M4: 2 eggs fried in bell peppers, squash & onions + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk

The cramps have mostly passed but the exhaustion hasn't. I don't think I've mentioned yet that last week my face broke out and my complexion went right back to Step 1. Still pretty bad, and I could swear the circles under my eyes are getting worse even though I almost never get less than 8 hours of sleep.

• Moderators

Keep going, lady. You know when we're in the midst of hormone drama we can't trust ourselves to accurately assess ourselves.

My dark circles haven't really budged either. But I just remind myself that dark circles signify exhausted adrenals. That can take years of clean eating/living and long sleeping to repair.

Sorry you're feeling like isht. It will get better. And certainly changing course at this point wouldn't help matters!

Thanks LadyM. I'm really trying to shake off the blahs but they're persistent. Giving myself a little more food (including more fruit) to see if that helps me power through the feelings of deprivation. Cooking up some of my favorites this weekend helped a bit. Just need to hang in there for 3 more weeks!

Day 26 (of 45)

I can't tell if it's hormonal or I'm just letting myself slip into bad habits, but for the past few days I've felt like I MUST have another small meal in addition to my usual 3. So I'm going with it for now. I did decide I'm having too much fat. Really, I've been just dumping it into my coffee, and I'm certain it's more then 2 fingers. Or 6 fingers. I didn't even realize how crazy I'd gotten with it until I realized I was on my last can of coconut milk AGAIN and was horrified. Oh well. It's noted, and now I'll be going back to the template guidelines.

I'm coming up on the end of my 4th week and I have done not a single workout for this week. I'm a little disappointed but I think as long as I catch up by day 45 I won't freak out about it. I'm juggling so many things. I don't think I'd choose 3/week if I could do it again.

Either way, I'm feeling less hopeless today. My body's not freaking out as much and I'm able to consider the countdown without wanting to crawl into a hole.

M1: eggplant/tomato casserole + roasted squash + 1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut milk (I had meat crust quiche for this morning but realized too late that I'd forgotten to thaw it. I'll probably just have an early lunch)

M2: 4 Bora Bora fireballs + roasted sweet potato + green beans in olive oil + 1/2 avocado + orange

M3: curried cream of broccoli soup w/ shredded chicken + strawberries

Day 27 (of 45)

M1: 2 chunks meat crust quiche + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: 4 Bora Bora meatballs + 1/2 avocado + sweet potato

M3: 3 eggs scrambled in onions, bell peppers, squash & spinach + chamomile tea w/ coconut milk + a few bites of cantaloupe

I've so definitely gained back the weight I initially lost on this Whole30. I can tell. Stupid coconut milk. (I'm not gonna say I told you so but if I could have weighed myself I may have noticed the issue sooner and prevented some of the damage...Jussayin'.)

• Moderators

Uh oh. Sounds like you're not in a great head space right now. You could always slow your roll with the coconut milk (and maybe fruit?) now. Remember you've just come out of a yuk hormonal phase in which you chose to increase some compliant comfort foods in order to not cave into other cravings. You'll need time to phase out of it. Hang in there!

Day 28 (of 45)

So I've been a downer all week. After feeling really happy with my body composition around Day 15, I didn't notice it all coming back. The coffee intake crept in, and this will sound so silly but I added so much coconut milk because I didn't want the black coffee to stain my teeth.  <_<  Damn vanity.

I do still have 17 days to allow (not force) my body to un-ring that bell. Although it's easy to blame the scale ban, this is also a strong indication that I'm still not hearing my body's hungry/full signals. Teeth concern or not, my body must have been telling me it was too much. I'm not entirely sure how to listen harder but, again, there's time to work it out. If nothing else, switching back to tea should keep that particular mistake from happening again.

While down in my mental funk, I discovered that I have a huge supporter in my sister. I text her updates on my countdown at least a couple times a day and she responds every time with some kind of enthusiastic encouragement. So that's been nice! And I can't forget LadyM, who's got my back here on the forum.  :)

Here's what I'm happiest about so far: my daytime energy levels are near "normal-person" level! Even though I still fatigue when on my feet, that's outstanding progress. With the exception of yesterday evening, I've seen a marked reduction in my dizziness. Sleep has never been a problem but the waking up part is a different story--today was the first time I woke up an hour early and then actually accomplished things! April will mark 7 years with ME/CFS, and it may prove to be one of the least symptomatic months I've had.  :D

Oh and my face--only 1 new pimple in the past 3 days.

M1: 1 c bone broth + 4 eggs scrambled w/ onion, squash, bell pepper & spinach (can't get enough of this) + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: 4 HB eggs + roasted carrots + eggplant/tomato casserole + asparagus

M3: stir-fried ground turkey, onion & cabbage w/ avocado, wrapped in lettuce + a little sweet potato + a few blueberries

I'm thinking about looking into kombucha but it says I need to use sugar. Does this mean I should hold off?

• Moderators

Good for you, Choc! Stopping to assess what's working and summoning up gratitude always helps pull me out of a funk. Don't underestimate what huge wins these are for you. It's so easy to lose sight of what's going well when we keep our focus on ways we're not where we want to be (I find this to be a truth for life in general!).

Kombucha is compliant--the sugar is basically burned up in the fermentation process. I got mad into home brewing a year ago. It's great stuff. However, I'll forewarn you that while it has many health benefits, it isn't calorie free, and it tastes sweet and delicious, so it's easy to use it inappropriately, if you get my drift. Overdoing it with kombucha is on the list of things I think kept me from getting the results I wanted from my first W30.

• Moderators

I'm crazy for cabbage, so I'm happy to just chop and saute it in some delicious fat--bacon grease or chicken fat are my faves. It's a great base for any ground meat+spices one-pot meal. I also love Nomnom's braised cabbage recipe, chez panisse red cabbage, Well Fed 2's coleslaw (nom nom has a good one, too, come to think of it), and I just saw a recipe on another thread that roasts cabbage quarters drizzled with lemon juice, evoo, salt and pepper. Like I said, I'm cabbage crazy. . . . :wub:

Day 31 (of 45)

Now. NOW I feel like I'm actually getting close. Hallelujah! I'm resisting the temptation to plan my reintroductions already but I did promise Boyfriend that on Day 46 we could get ice cream together. I had a pleasant and fruit-free weekend despite crazy cravings Saturday. I also weight lifted Friday AND yesterday plus P90X abs yesterday. Sore! I ran into my trainer Elliot at the gym and we set up a session for me to try out BOXING tomorrow! I'm excited and slightly nervous that I'm going to end up punching myself in the face or something equally graceful.

My belly pooch is going down a bit since I ended the coconut milk spree. Complexion can't seem to stabilize. I've considered going back on the pill just for the acne benefits but that feels like a bad reason to ingest unnecessary hormones.

I got some compelling evidence Saturday that I do have adrenal fatigue. My egg donation process was cancelled (something about my follicle count) and my disappointment/upset instantly wiped out my energy for most of the day. This really makes me think I'm focusing on the right angle of my health issues for now. This week I'll wean my caffeine intake from half-caffs to just a daily chai tea.

M1: meat crust quiche + sweet potato + coffee w/ coconut milk

M2: shepherd's pie + roasted carrots + steamed broccoli + 1/2 avocado

M3: dinner went off the rails. got busy and ate half of it at 6, but then didn't finish until 8:30, and then I overdid it with the fruit... a mess.

Day 32 (of 45)

13 days left! The countdown is upon us. Stuck with the chai tea this morning and felt just fine. After looking good this weekend, the face is again being finicky but it's astounding how quickly it seems to swing back and forth lately. Wonder what that means.

M1: shepherd's pie + sweet potato + chai tea w/ coconut milk

M2: steak & egg salad + curried cream of broccoli soup

Pre-WO: 2 bora bora fireballs

M3: maybe chili got a migraine and couldn't eat much more than the vegetable chips my dear boyfriend brought me. i felt so sick to my stomach. a little while later I had a bit of sweet potato, but that was all.

Day 33 (of 45)

M1: uhhh....vegetable chips. yep, that was really it. starting the day off right! did have some coconut milk with my tea.

M2: shepherd's pie + sweet potato + tea w/ coconut milk

PWO: 2 bora bora fireballs

M3: 4 eggs scrambled with onion/bell pepper/spinach + tea w/ coconut milk

Went to the gym tonight and thought my trainer was going to teach me some boxing but it turned into a reassessment night. I told him not to tell me any of my measurements or weight (although he did say things were going well from when he measured me 3 months ago) but he blurted out my body fat % anyway. I'm down 1%. So that's nice  :)

Archived