Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza

jmcip

This is a recipe from Make it Paleo. Would this be considered SWPO? The crust is made out of eggplant  and Almond Meal and Flax seed Meal and it topped with Arugula and prosciutto?

Is Well-Fed meatza (with the many variations in meats and toppings) SWYPO?  If so, I will hold off until not on W30.  Seems OK to me to not have a paleo-ified break-like crust, but I'd love more official opinions.

The meatza is Whole30 approved. The "crust" is made of beef - not trying to create bread.

The OP's pizza recipe uses almond meal to make a bread like crust. That is a strong reason why that recipe is not compliant.

And come on people! If you stay close to what you were eating before, you will stay close to the results you were getting before. Don't you want to do better? 

Would this reference the meatza eaters, too?

Yes I want to do better of course or I wouldn't have asked first. I was just asking because it so does not resemble pizza I wanted to know. A good deal of the base is eggplant. I don't even eat pizza and haven't for years and years so in my mind it is not swapping something for a pizza substitute. But clearly I won't eat it on the whole 30

Meatza is sooooo far from a paleo pizza crust that it's almost not worth discussing. This, on the other hand, is intended to be eaten as a pizza (sans cheese). It's like making a cauliflower pizza crust.  

I feel like there's an obvious difference between meat and veggies that have a pizza-like flavor and a nut flour pizza crust intended to be topped and eaten that way.

Is Well-Fed meatza (with the many variations in meats and toppings) SWYPO?  If so, I will hold off until not on W30.  Seems OK to me to not have a paleo-ified break-like crust, but I'd love more official opinions.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but my take on meatza: I agree with Chris and Robin that it is not SWYPO. It is ok to eat things flavored with oregano and basil during a whole30, but also, meatza lends itself to a template meal much more easily. I think it would be hard to get a "palm-worth" of protein out of a nut-flour crust "pizza" with prosciutto, but quite easy to do so with meatza. Personally, I didn't like meatza much the one time I made it, but if you like it I think it is fine.

Maybe the OP would want to try meatza with arugula and prosciutto as a topping?...although if it were me I would go for a big arugula salad with a little prosciutto and a burger patty on the side. sounds yummy. 

• Moderators

I wish Melissa did not call her recipe Meatza, but at least she did not call it paleo pizza. There are several recipes around the internet that include the name "pizza" that actually qualify for a Whole30 like PaleoOMG's pizza spaghetti pie. That recipe is not like pizza either. I get annoyed by these names because they serve to confuse people and keep folks focused on old foods instead of finding their way to new ways of eating. 

Archived