Can I snack on fruit throughout the day?

Hello everyone,

I know that other than eating 3 meals a day, I should try my hardest not to snack. Before starting Whole30, fruit was a main part of my diet. Throughout the day I'd easily consume half a box of clementines, and every other day I'd finish a honeydew melon.

Now that I'm on Whole30, I'm eating a LOT less fruit since I'm following the meal template. But I'm getting mixed messages...It Starts With Food says that "you can never eat too much fruit," but at the same time it advises against snacking on fruit (instead turn to protein and fats first). The problem is, when I snack I'm neither hungry hungry, nor craving processed-foods (like chips)...I just feel like eating cold juicy fruits! I know part of Whole30 is getting rid of cravings, but is it that bad to crave healthy fruit?

I guess my main questions are: can I snack on fruit throughout the day? Can I eat as much fruit as I want as long as I satisfy the meal template for the 3 meals? If I should limit fruit intake, why? Hormonal balance? 

Thanks!

• Moderators

You can complete a Whole30 while doing a lot of things we recommend you not do. You would seriously undermine the value of spending 30 days eating Whole30-compliant foods if you snack on fruit all day long. 

The best way to get your hormonal rhythms where they need to be is to eat a substantial breakfast of protein, fat, and veggies within one hour of waking in the morning and then eating two more meals that are spaced 4-6 hours apart. If you snack all day long, you will undermine your hormonal adjustments.

It is okay to snack if you are hungry, but snacks should be temporary, until you get the hang of eating enough at each meal to be satisfied until your next meal. You should not eat because you are bored, because you have a habit of eating, or because you like to eat so much that you want to eat all day. An important part of the Whole30 is establishing a healthy relationship with food. Eating fruit all day is not a healthy relationship with food.

You were right on target with your first sentence.  :) Whole30 guidelines are three template meals with no snacking, if you can help it. The idea is to both create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, which is best for hormonal balance.

Whole30 further recommends 1-2 fruit servings a day, where a serving is the size of your fist. Instead of having fruit between meals, have them with or immediately after a meal.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat.

Remember that part of the Whole30 is changing your relationship with food. The recommendations above help you tune into your satiety signals vs. give in to cravings.

Really try to stick with the recommendations. It's only 30 days: treat it as an experiment.

I never meant that I want to eat fruit all day long, just that I want to snack on it in-between meals. But anyways, thanks for the info :)

I had to start out eating 4 meals a day, spaced 4 hours apart (because of low blood sugar issues), and then transitioned to 3 meals a day, spaced 6 hours apart. This is what worked for me...maybe something similar would work for you(?)

The problem is, when I snack I'm neither hungry hungry, nor craving processed-foods (like chips)...I just feel like eating cold juicy fruits! I know part of Whole30 is getting rid of cravings, but is it that bad to crave healthy fruit?

I guess my main questions are: can I snack on fruit throughout the day? Can I eat as much fruit as I want as long as I satisfy the meal template for the 3 meals? If I should limit fruit intake, why? Hormonal balance? 

There's nothing wrong with loving fruit - I sure do!  In the summertime, I often push to 3-4 servings per day with no trouble. BUT I do my best to have those with my meals. I love citrus fruits and melon with protein and avocado over spinach. I make a killer watermelon and tomato salad with red wine vinegar, olive oil and basil. Sometimes I just have a pile of fruit on my plate with the rest of my meal.  Fruit is good for you - hands down, no argument. But it's not as good for you as vegetables, and snacking (eating between meals) really isn't beneficial at all (unless you're hungry enough to eat a meal).

Does that help clear it up a bit?

Thank you everyone! As strange as it sounds, I've been craving fruit less these past two days/1 serving per meal satisfies my need for fruit.  :)

Archived