Everything in moderation- including moderation

Attackkitten

Hello, I'm Kort. I suppose I should post here. First, my friends and family complained of too many pet photos now they are drowning in food photos, so here goes.... I'm on Day 3. I've been lurking and resisting the obsession that comes with starting a journal but mostly I need a place to post my frustrations when I'm feeling hAngry. My partner thinks I'm loony toons and is full of "I told you so's" whenever I complain.

So far so good on the new program. I will post my foods to date.

Monday:

Breakfast: zucchini hashbrowns eggs and mango, I was starving and had a serving of pineapple as a morning snack

Lunch: olives, turkey, pistachios and a plum and later had a banana and coconut butter

Dinner: green beans with roasted carrots and salmon with a baked apple

Starving all day!

Tuesday: Kale egg cup, turkey sausage (homemade!!) and a fruit salad, for lunch I had green beans and salmon with mango salsa, a boiled egg and watermelon. For dinner I had steak pineapple fajita bowl with cauliflower rice.

Now we are at Wednesday, today and I've learned that basically I'm not getting enough fats in my meals to keep me full. I'm also eating too much fruit. My coffee spilled in my work bag and everything is soaked and I'm having a coffee drought. Life isn't so great right about now. ;) I had a really yummy breakfast of "primal cereal". As someone who doesn't like cereal because of it's sogginess, this was a treat because the nuts didn't get waterlogged. I had a piece of turkey sausage (should have made that two!) but my egg cups were ruined in the great spill. I have a photo! I typically don't find food photos very interesting but, that was before I had a whole blog dedicated to crap I eat for 30 days.

So that leads us to this current moment at 9:00 am. I'm a little bit hungry. I've thought about food since the moment I woke up and went to bed thinking of food. I spent all day Monday looking for breakfast meats online. I've been to the grocery store three days in a row. I've spent two entire days pintresting recipes. I think this food obsession confirms the fact that I've had an unhealthy food relationship all along. I've never been what people would consider "overweight," but I've always had issues with binging to different levels of extremes. My main goal here is to develop a more healthy food relationship and restart my body to not want so many unhealthy foods. I would also love to lose a few lbs. ;)

I recently injured my knee on a bicycle trip so I'm not as active as I usually like to be. I'm going to an ortho doctor tomorrow so hopefully I can get back in the swing of things. Since I'm staying off of my leg, I'm doing an arm and ab challenge. Day 7!! :)

post-43532-0-26072100-1397656748_thumb.j

post-43532-0-85587600-1397656862_thumb.j

• Moderators

You need to eat more. These tiny portions are not nearly enough. You should never eat less than a palm-size portion of protein at each meal and you should eat 2 palm-size portions if you were hungry at your recent meals. Your plate should be full of veggies at each meal. And it is important to use full-size plates. Not small bowls or plates, but the kind you would get in restaurant that actually uses plates. Review the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Any day in which you feel hungry between meals, you have almost certainly not eaten enough. When you are eating enough at meals, you should not need to snack.

You are right that you need less fruit and more veggies. There is more nourishment in veggies and they are a better vehicle for added fat.

Most people should be eating at least 3 eggs and many can eat 4 or 5 at a meal.

Primal cereal is not good enough for a Whole30 breakfast. Nuts are basically fat. The protein is inadequate. You don't have to eat eggs for breakfast. My breakfast this morning was about 1/3 pound of ground beef stir fried with chopped onion, yellow bell pepper, and 3-4 big handfuls of greens. I splashed apple cider on the greens, dusted them with salt and nutmeg, and cooked the meat and veggies with salt, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. 

Day 4! I'm really doing this thing. I still feel like I'm winning or I'm just too hyped up on coffee to know any better. I haven't got any physical symptoms other than my face is starting to break out pretty badly. After my post breakfast crash yesterday, I grabbed a burger patty from the dairy bar across the street and had an avacodo and I'm ashamed to admit this but I took a boiled egg from one of my student's salad. :X I was full! I did it! I made it till dinner without snacking. :) After work, I stopped at the store and grabbed more beef patties and cooked them so I would have some meat to help with fullness and also not make my wife smell it cooking all the time. I got some stew meat and made butternut squash beef soup in my Wonder Bag to eat for lunch today (see photo!!!!). Last night for dinner we had roasted chicken with ghee!, carrots, broccoli, and asparagus. It was sooo good and filled me up. For breakfast, I had 2 eggs, chicken apple sausage, and kale and I'm still doing alright this morning. :) I'm working on ideas for a place to go out with my family for lunch this Saturday and it's not as easy as I thought. :/

post-43532-0-78272600-1397745678_thumb.jpost-43532-0-85671800-1397745685_thumb.j

Good Morning Day 5. How you doin? I had a venti iced coffee from SB this morning. :) I ended yesterday with Chipotle which was a special treat because it was the first meal I didn't have to prepare for myself. I had carnitas, lettuce, salsa, and double guac and I was stuffed half way through it. I took a break and talked to my family and then finished it. I also have a problem with eating too fast. Working on it... I'm fighting this nasty battle of not being hungry for my meals and having to force myself to eat. This would be so much better with cheese. lol For breakfast I had ground bison scrambled with broccoli and 3 eggs and a grapefruit. I got a huge shipment of chicken sausage and jerky in the mail yesterday. It was like paleo Christmas. I think Jews celebrate that on the regular...maybe this could be my version of Passover this year? I would much rather have the wine though! Also, I made out with someone who was chewing gum yesterday and felt really guilty. She's pretty sweet already. :* My only physical symptom today is serious bloating. I hope this goes away soon!!

For lunch today I had two turkey jurkey sticks (Nick's Sticks), one burger patty, one boiled egg, a handful of cherry tomatoes, and some frozen banana/almond butter bites. I waited a little longer to eat today because I was so stuffed from breakfast. I know it's normal lunch time but I usually eat with my kindergarteners at 10:45! I'm going to grab some coconut aminos because I'm having sashimi tomorrow with my family...my entire family, which makes me want to drink. *sigh* We can do this...

Hello, I'm Kort. I suppose I should post here. First, my friends and family complained of too many pet photos now they are drowning in food photos, so here goes....

I would love to see more of your food pics. Do you post them publicly anywhere?

Happy Saturday y'all! My appetite is coming back finally. :) For breakfast I had Pederson's paleo bacon for a super special treat with a fried egg, primal cereal, and an avacodo. I had a huge plate of sashimi with coconut aminos for lunch but I'm still really hungry. I don't think I got enough pieces today for lunch. :( I just had a serving of watermelon for a snack. I'm ready for dinner! Nothing too exciting to report today. I have a headache but I blame that on my pets waking me up all night long.

Happy Saturday y'all! My appetite is coming back finally. :) For breakfast I had Pederson's paleo bacon for a super special treat with a fried egg, primal cereal, and an avacodo. I had a huge plate of sashimi with coconut aminos for lunch but I'm still really hungry. I don't think I got enough pieces today for lunch. :( I just had a serving of watermelon for a snack. I'm ready for dinner! Nothing too exciting to report today. I have a headache but I blame that on my pets waking me up all night long.

For best results, be sure to follow the meal template that Tom Denham posted earlier. That means each meal gets 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.

Your breakfast and lunch didn't have veggies, and it appears your lunch didn't have fat, so that's likely why you were really hungry after lunch.  I'm not sure what's in "primal cereal,"  but cereal really isn't in the spirit of a Whole30. A better option is a template-based meal instead.

Thanks for the reply. Primal cereal is just a mixture of nuts and coconut milk with bananas. I did have an avacodo with breakfast and a salad with my lunch. I know I didn't get enough though. I understand the template but it isn't always feasible. I'm making bison meatloaf cupcakes butternut squash and greens for dinner. I'm excited about this meal!

Happy Monday and a happy beginning of week 2 for me. I'm feeling fantastic this morning. I had a killer headache all weekend that is finally gone. I had a good day with food yesterday. No real cravings happening here. I even sliced and buttered bread for my family without sampling. I did really want a piece of cheese off of an appetizer tray but I had a yummy olive instead. I really felt proud of myself for having the restraint. Is anyone else spending a ton of money on food these days? I don't feel too guilty since I have significantly cut down on the expense of eating out, I frequently host guests for dinner, and it is stocked with all sorts of healthy vegetables. My cart was 3/4 full of fruits and veggies yesterday at the store. I was proud! Yesterday I made an artichoke kale quiche with chicken sausage for breakfast. For dinner we had a bolegnese sauce (prepared in my Wonder Bag!) with zoodles. I've been thoroughly enjoying my meals and feeling content again. I'm also not as disgusted by food which makes me happier. I'm attaching a few random photos from foods I had this weekend.

post-43532-0-09433400-1398091307_thumb.j

post-43532-0-93299100-1398091317_thumb.j

post-43532-0-10952500-1398091322_thumb.j

post-43532-0-30286800-1398091336_thumb.j

That quiche sounds amazing!

For what it's worth, I find it really hard to get full on sashimi. Maybe with a whole avocado and a giant salad on the side...maybe. I adore sashimi, but it just doesn't have much staying power.

And yes, I spend a boatload on food. But I eat out once in a blue never--and I keep reminding myself, my health is worth it!

DAY 9! Hello Tuesday. I'm feeling sooooooo good. No really, I don't think I've ever felt this great in my whole life. I have so much energy and I'm happy. I can't believe I'm even typing this. I'm always so tired. I could just sleep my entire life away.  Last night, my wife and I had some friends over for dinner so I cooked a huge mess of beef and broccoli. It was heavenly. I was kinda bummed about not having leftovers but this will definitely be my goto recipe from now on. We recently got a gas stove with a little grill in the center. I've started cooking meat there and it is so handy. :) I also couldn't handle the fridge madness any longer so I got a little pinteresty with the organization. This morning I had 2 eggs with spinach and ground pork. I sort of had to choke it down. I'm a little burned out on breakfast foods. I also made some chicken veggie soup for lunch that I'm excited to try. Oh, lastly! I found out that we have a Paleo food truck in town!!! How awesome is that?

post-43532-0-84497200-1398182496_thumb.j

post-43532-0-42893600-1398182531_thumb.j

post-43532-0-02279300-1398182533_thumb.j

10 down, 20 to go! I'm feelig really good today. Yesterday I felt consistently good all day which was a treat in itself. I did have some stomach 'issues' but it definitely wasn't intolerable. I also fought the sugar dragon really hard and won. I had an afternoon kombucha and turkey stick instead. For dinner I had a beautiful salad from ZaZa with homemade balsamic dressing. I ordered a soup but got nervous about the possibility of sweetened coconut milk so I gave it to my wife. My daughter made coconut, banana, pineapple popsicles and I had one of those as well. This is the part where mods tell me dessert isn't on the template. :wub: I hade a killer sweet potato spinach hash for breakfast with pork sausage and a few slices of mango. My entire family loved it!

I ran out of time for planning a full lunch but I grabbed some roast beef, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato cubes, plum, and an avocado. Oh, of course I have a few eggs with me to get through the day as well.

We are having friends over tonight and will be serving paleo pad thai an indian cauliflower. I'm psyched! I'm not so enthused about having a club soda while everyone has wine though. ^_^ Happy Wednesday everyone.

post-43532-0-64324100-1398262281_thumb.j

post-43532-0-32440500-1398262329_thumb.j

My daughter made coconut, banana, pineapple popsicles and I had one of those as well. This is the part where mods tell me dessert isn't on the template. :wub:

You've got it - the popsicle entered the SWYPO zone!  ;) Avoid venturing into that territory for rest of your Whole30: everything else looks compliant - keep walking that road!

Holy Smokes! Day 11 was hard! I went to a charity function last night so I "preloaded" at home with good foods. I didn't want to be rude when everyone at my table was eating so I had a few pieces of grilled chicken, a tomato, some salsa, and a few nuts. I spent most of the events standing in front the most beautiful cupcake selection I've ever seen. I smelled them... I examined the sprinkles...saw the icing that rubbed on the tongs. Watched people lick the icing off of their fingers. It was torture. I had about 5 club sodas and my father in law kept bringing me glasses of wine without understanding what was going on. I'm so happy to come out on the other side! I overslept this morning so I brought all sorts of leftovers to eat today.

Archived