Nut Butters Help!!

I just started the Whole30 yesterday and was eating natural peanut butter....that being said now im on the hunt for other butters and im lost! What do i get and were the heck do i find it?! Also everything has sugar in it ugh! I went to add a can of tomatoes to dinner and it had it?!

Compliant nut butters include cashew butter or almond butter, or you can make your own. However, the recommendation, as is with whole nuts, is to have them in limited quantities. They're not the best fat source, and they can have a tendency to become food without brakes.

On the tomatoes, was sugar in the ingredients list or on the nutrition label?  If sugar or sweetener is not included in the ingredients list, you're fine. 

• Moderators

There are canned tomatoes without sugar. Typically tomatoes with some citric acid as a preservative. The ones without sugar may cost more than you are used to paying. They add sugar to make lower quality tomatoes taste better to most people. 

You can also get sunbutter (sunflower seed butter), but that's even harder to find without sugar. Check Amazon, there's lots of options for W30 foods you might have never shopped for before.

As for where to find nut butters, a well-stocked grocery store will probably have unsweetened almond butter. It's usually next to the peanut butter. Some major grocery stores have a "natural foods" section, and if yours does, it might be there instead.

Archived