So much for support...

remybriscoe

Hi everyone!

So a few weeks before I was scheduled to start my Whole30, I talked to a group of people at work to see if they would be interested in doing it together. I know that last time I did a Whole30, doing it with with friends made things a lot easier. Everyone seemed really interested and I linked them to all of the Whole30 "cheat sheets" and online documents and great blogs.

Start day came (April 28) and only one person, out of a group of maybe 10, committed to doing it with me. I understand, I get it - some people just aren't ready to give up alcohol for a month. The no soda thing scares some people. And no more burritos at lunch, the horror!

I think the thing that gets to me is the few people who say they're doing it, or actually "their version" of it. So they're eating sugary bacon, they're drinking on the weekends, they still eat the catered lunches every day without knowing what goes into that stuff. Well, if you're doing "your version" of a Whole30, then it's not really a Whole30, is it. It's frustrating that 2 of us are doing the hard work, and everyone else who isn't still thinks they can reap the benefits.

I know myself and the one other committed person will see the best results and feel the best, mentally and physically. I KNOW that. It's just annoying to have someone say 'I love this program!' when they're not...actually doing it.

And so I come here to vent my grievances and be with my people! Anyone else experience this in their workplace or inner circle?

• Moderators

There is no such thing as a modified Whole30. It is either 100 percent or it is not a Whole30. People can get some benefit from Whole30-style eating where they come close to the program, but the big results are loaded up for those who are fully committed. Hang in there!

i have experienced this with my mum, she made a dessert a few nights ago, I asked if she wouldn't mind not making desserts for a few weeks (as I have a bad sweet tooth), she replied with 'well there's other people in the house' and she made a cake last night  :huh:

At least you have 1 person joining your mission. Just concentrate on what you two want to do. I live in the boondocks of NM and I have resigned to run my Whole30 "experiment" on my own which by the way goes pretty well. I am losing the roll around my waist-line (although I was not overweight before, just some fat in the wrong areas) and I am happy with my meals and I am actually more satiated than I have been before most of the time. It appears my body does appreciate what I am trying to do. My (overweight) husband does a half-a... approach because he loves his wine in the eve and thinks he cannot kick the sweet tooth altogether (he is mostly using stevia, though, says no to most sodas, and holds back on carbs, which he thinks is sacrifice enough for the time being). He has already come a far way as an ex meat and potatoe guy being raised on sweet stuff and good bread. I let him be and cook the things he likes while trying to incorporate healthier ingredients (such as almond flour instead of breading). That is about all I can do for him while I do what I can for myself. My relatives are all sceptical (Just another "fad diet") and so are my friends (mostly I do not even bother to mention this, I just drink water instead of beer or wine and leave at that and look for the OK looking snacks and foods on the table ot the menu) and I respect their thinking. So be not discouraged and just do what you think is best for you. The only way to change people's mindsets is coming up with good results for yourself. Maybe in the not so far away future you will be able to relish the day when somebody comes up to you and says: "You look great! What is your secret? ;)  And most importantly, hopefully your body will be happy and reward you with feeling great. Good luck, good success, and all the willpower you may need!

great to read all these responses! thanks for everyone's input! and i'm so thankful to have this forum to come to and see everyone's experiences and ups and downs. i know i'm doing the right thing for myself, and it will eventually be evident to others what all this hard work means.

Be glad you have someone with you for it. My friend started with me and dropped out on day 11 or so and then went on such an eating bender she hasn't come out of it and started again so it's been all on my own.

Husband is paleo plus white potatoes and chocolate so it hasn't been so bad at home though. He's seen major results in the past couple years from giving up grains and dairy alone. He just can't quit chocolate though and doesn't want to quit potatoes because he works out so much.

Archived