Okay here's the run down on grass fed vs grocery store meats.

Grass fed meats are ultimately the best choice and should provide the best results - however that is not to say that you cannot get good results with regular cuts of meat from the grocery store.  One of the main reasons why Grass fed is better for you than Factory farmed is because animal toxins generally get stored in the fat areas of the animals - so if you are eating an animal that has been eating an unnatural diet of corn and soy, then getting sick often, then being injected fequently to keep the animal artifically healthy with meds - those meds and other toxins will be stored in the fat cells of that animal.  So when eating grocery store meat try choose the leaner cuts of meat.  Either that or make it a point to drain the fat off of the non leaner cuts (not because of low-fat diet reasons of course!)

It is highly recommended that you stay away from pork products because of this reason stated above.  For me personally I have all kind of issues with pork.  Pork (even grassfed) needs to be over cooked for me not to have a problem with it. 

EDIT TO ADD

Meat is expensive - but also so is your health.  So if you are able to get in touch with a farmer that offers a decent price for grassfed beef - consider it.  I order part of a hind end of beef twice a year.  When that runs out we buy from the grocery store.  So try to do the best with what you have available to you, and what you are capable of.

I mix my grassfed ground beef with ground turkey or chicken to cut the cost. I look for the ground grass fed to go on sale. I got 4 packaged for 50% off because they were about to go bad. I took them home and cooked them up and froze portions so I can have them on hand whenever I need them.

Also I learned from that movie Food inc that cows that have been fed grains have a lot of bacteria in their gut. If they are fed grass for just one week it reduces this bacteria by about 90% (I can't remember if it is ecoli or not). That was enough to convice me to eat grass fed ground beef.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I have Costco bacon? Ingredients are pork cured with water, salt, sodium phosphate, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrate. Smoked with natural hard woods

Technically, this looks compliant, ingredients-wise. However, I suggest you read Whole30's Bacon Manifesto before consuming this bacon, which is likely factory-farmed.

For the bacon.. Go to a local butcher shop that makes their own bacon. Even if you have to travel a bit its worth it.

I asked my shop if they would make some bacon with out sugar, no problem.. My bacon has four ingredients, Nutmeg, Paprika,

salt, and ground celery.. its fantastic. 

Archived