Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Umm… has anyone else gone through or is anyone is going through an angry phase? I'm never, ever an angry person, but today, I'm just pissed! But, maybe sad, too.  Like I just kinda feel like yelling at the world and then bursting into tears. Ha. I'm checking calendar to see if it's hormones.  That doesn't seem to be it.  I'm not feeling terrible food cravings.  I'm just sad.

ithinkican - I have felt like this some times - the sad part.  I do think it is part hormonal for me and also part not enough carbs.  There was something in the Whole 30 literature that said "keep calm and eat a sweet potato".  Maybe you need more carbs?  I know it's simplistic, but just thought I'd mention it. 

I'm still 100% compliant but this weekend was tough - no special events but just wanted "something".  Something like a treat - normally that would be ice cream or a mocha latte.  I couldn't think of anything Whole30 to fill that desire, so went without. 

I also want to continue beyond this 30 days, so I need to rethink what a treat or a luxury will be to me.  Anyone else feeling the need to indulge in a latte or ice cream at the end of a long week??

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MY JEANS ARE LOOSER!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a great weekend for me food wise... sorry, but not a single craving! Today and tomorrow are tough though because I am in trainings for work. I don't do well with sitting for 8 hours straight and listening. Today, one hour in, I felt hungry. Instead of listening to the presenters, I spent the next hour in an internal dialouge... am I really hungry or am I bored? Why do I want to eat? I decided that I wouldn't be hungry if I was out doing my normal routine and tried to convince myself not to eat. But I went and ate the banana I brought "just in case" anyways. Now I'm mad at myself for eating a banana because I didn't learn the lesson. lol. Can being prepared with healthy choices and snacks be a negative if your eating when you are not truly hungry anyways? I'm starting to think so.  This is another battle for me... up hill... both ways.

HELLO WHOLE30ers!  DAY 14!  I can relate to all you have said

ithinkicanithinkican, Sunday i was very short tempered and grumpy, for no reason.  

Rkrzywda,  my clothes are feeling looser, which motivates me to continue !   

I also want to continue beyond this 30 days, so I need to rethink what a treat or a luxury will be to me.  Anyone else feeling the need to indulge in a latte or ice cream at the end of a long week??

isn't interesting what now what is considered a treat, an iced latte sounds so good or a beer( just one)! cakes or cookies aren't even on the board, not that i wouldn't like them but i really don't miss them.

I do want to continue, planning on finishing and taking week break for the 4th weekend &  my "50" birthday on July 7th & then starting 2nd Whole30 on July 8th.

Planning on finally buying the book, It starts with food! Great Job everyone! :D

rkrzywda - don't be mad at yourself! You learned a great lesson, and that's awesome. For me, it took eating bananas or Lara bars or whatever as a snack a few times to realize how much they DON'T satiate me - if I'm really hungry, I need protein and/or fat, not sweet stuff (even compliant sweet stuff). It's all a learning process!

I do want to continue, planning on finishing and taking week break for the 4th weekend &  my "50" birthday on July 7th & then starting 2nd Whole30 on July 8th.

Planning on finally buying the book, It starts with food! Great Job everyone! :D

Happy Birthday early, Carrie!!  I, too, am going to be 50 this year!  I definitely feel "young at heart" and know that age is just a number, but this number does have me thinking about health in a more serious light!    :)   

I am here! :)

This week is shaping up to be insane for me, lots of appointments for me and the kids, all to get it out of the way before next week when we head to FL to deal with MIL's lawsuit (such a long story!)... I also may need a little help and encouragement planning out our food choices for the week we will be camping there. We are "campers" anyway, we really enjoy it, but I am especially happy with it this coming week as it will be so much easier (in some ways) to prepare our own foods as opposed to staying in a hotel. My kids are a nightmare in a hotel anyways! Five of the youngest and a family friend are going.

I know I will have more fresh produce from the CSA on Thursday, so that will play into it. The camper fridge is a "bigger" one for a camper, but it is still small. We have to accept that some meals will be eaten out (there is a Chipotle's there, at least!) and try to just plan the rest to keep clean on the Whole 30.

I have a pork roast defrosting for carnitas tomorrow (love those, and they are in regular rotation even on non Whole 30 meals) and still have a BUNCH of squash to use. Stuffed Patty pan was a hit last night, even the little kids asked for seconds! Tonight was beef stew with a slew of fresh veggies thrown in there.

I saw the shrimp and avocado salad recipe, which looks great, but finding "clean" shrimp in town is tough (which sucks, we are NOT that far from the water)... I may see if they got some in at the fish market, but they just buy imported a lot and it is gross. Anyway, I thought I recently saw another recipe with avocado, tomatoes, red onions, maybe cucumbers? I was thinking of making this for lunch tomorrow, but can't find the recipe anymore. Anyone?

Tomorrow is Day 14... we are almost halfway there!!

Hey Carrie and Colleen! I am turning 50 on June 15th! Happy Birthday to you guys. I will definitely forego cake and snacks this year. I'm not a cake lover anyway (now brownies....fuhget abowt it)!!!! I will stay on plan and worry about the rest later. My present to myself this year is health and feeling fantastic!

Hi All-- I have been busy, busy, busy with work and personal stuff, but I've been hanging in there with my eating. I spent a lot of time prepping food this weekend since this is a heavy travel week for me with work, and I've eaten out several times successfully even with a food truck being the only option! I feel so much better, just like everyone else. I am inspired to continue well beyond 30 days, but I don't have a plan yet. I will be in the middle of my vacation on day 30. I want to make sure I have a strategy before vacation starts on what I will do. I would like to reintroduce properly, but to be honest I just don't know if I want those things back in my life yet. The benefits are so huge without them.

I have now had 3 dreams where I was eating food and each time it is a bread product. What? :lol:  The first time it was a Panera baguette, then just regular toast, and I think the last thing was a tortilla. So funny. 

I am so proud of all of us. We took the leap not knowing that we could do it or how we would do it, and look at us now. We are killing it! 

Happy Day 15, Whole 30 Friends!!  Wow, half way through this experience.  Great job everyone!!  At this point, I can't imagine not seeing this thing through.  My weight and food issues will take longer for me to sort out but I feel great and inspired that I'm DOING IT!! 

I made Paleo chicken nuggets last night - they were good!!  Just cubed chicken breast dipped in beaten egg and dredged in a basic recipe of coconut flour, onion powder, and garlic powder then fried in coconut oil and topped off with some coarse salt.  Tasty and a crisp texture that I haven't had in a while.  My eighteen year old son (who is not at all supportive of my new ways!!) thought they were great and snarfed them down - I made sure to snatch up enough from the pan for lunch before they were gone!   

I treated myself to a new toy in recognition of our half way point - an immersion blender.  I'm excited to try it out tonight! 

Hey Carrie and Colleen! I am turning 50 on June 15th! Happy Birthday to you guys. I will definitely forego cake and snacks this year. I'm not a cake lover anyway (now brownies....fuhget abowt it)!!!! I will stay on plan and worry about the rest later. My present to myself this year is health and feeling fantastic!

Oh - and Happy B'day early, GrannieD!!  I hope 50 is a fantastic and healthy year for all of us!!!  :)

Colleen B -- I LOVE my immersion blender.  I use it for mayonnaise weekly.  I love nomnompaleo's chicken with gravy (you use the immersion blender to make the "gravy" out of the liquid and leeks leftover in the slow cooker).  Sweet potato soup and cauliflower soup are my favorites and so easy with the immersion blender.  Enjoy it!

My BP started rising slowly last week and got into scary range over the weekend so I'm back on a low dose of lisinopril.  I'm not sure what happened!  It's certainly better than where I was last summer, but I loved being medication-free.

I'm back in school again (starting yesterday) and learned that my plan for dinner won't work.  I have class on Mondays from 5-10:30pm.  I thought I'd get a long enough break to microwave my dinner and eat, but our longest break was 10 minutes.  So last night was tough.....I had Faux Pho made with homemade bone broth so it's all jello-y and I couldn't stomach eating it cold so I ate dinner very late last night, but didn't get a headache or stomach ache......that's amazing for me.  Pre-Whole 30, I needed to eat every 2-3 hours to keep the headaches at bay.  Now I can go 9 hours!  Amazing!

In the future, I'll take dinner food that can be eaten cold or throw something in a thermos.

I'm feeling great.  Hang in there....we're halfway!!

Happy Birthday early!!!! :D Your present to yourself is beautiful, we are the only one who can change ourselves! At this stage of my life this where i am too! I dont want to go into fifty with health problems looming, and I definitely am not old! ;) Day  15!!!

HALF WAY THERE!

So, I've decided on a few things:

I will continue to prepare healthy breakfasts ahead of time. This starts my day off right and makes it easier to resist the brownies in the break room.

I will have at least 1 Whole30 compliant day each week. This will probably turn into 2 or 3 with leftovers.

I will continue to actively seek the healthier choices, where one is available (like the canned tomatoes without added sugar).

I will honestly try not to eat junk "just because it's there."

I will repeat this at least 1x per year (anyone else up for meeting back here the day after Memorial Day next year?)

Also, my thoughts on camping food - you must do chocolate chili, if you haven't. I ate it with chopped tomatoes on top and a salad on the side. Also, sweet potato hash and fried eggs. Perfect for breakfast with leftover veggies from another meal. This is a new favorite in my house that will be around for many years to come. Boil up some eggs ahead of time and maybe make a yummy soup or stew to have your first night. Bone-in chicken is always delicious over a fire, even with just olive oil and salt & pepper. Good luck to you, but I think camping might be easier. The more I think, the more ideas I come up with. Another recent favorite is ground beef, turkey or chicken cooked up with peppers (multicolored), onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I douse it with compliant or homemade salsa and avacado. Add a veggie on the side and Yum!

Happy day 16 everyone!

Hello All!!  Going well here.  I used my new immersion blender to make mayo last night - it's like magic!!  So easy!  Whipped it up right in the canning jar so easy clean up.  I have to try the chicken and gravy recipe mentioned.  Last night I also made the Balsamic Pork Bites from "Make Ahead Paleo" and that was pretty good. 

Have a great Day 16!!

Happy halfway there, everyone!!

colleen, that chicken and gravy is awesome. You must!

I'm doing fine on food, but I have GOT to get my sleep under control for the second half of this Whole30. It's been a crazy two weeks in my life, for non-food-related reasons, and I am feeling it - and I think I'm not seeing as many results from the Whole30 as I would if I were doing better there. These next two weeks should be calmer (famous last words) so I'm hoping to work on that!

I love my immersion blender as well. Nothing fancy just middle of the line handheld blender that makes me feel like I know what I'm doing...lol!

On that note, does anyone know where the recipe is for paleo mayo using the immersion blender? I made my first batch a few days ago in my food processer. I was sooooooo excited that it emulsified (since this seems to be the main problem with making your own mayo) that I was literally jumping up and down screeching (delightfully of course) in my kitchen. My hubby thought I lost my mind!!! It tastes pretty darn good, too!

Hello everyone!  I just realized I haven't checked in for a couple of days so I'm popping in to say I'm still here! 

Happy Day 16!  I'm feeling pretty good.  Not sure it's "Tiger Blood" good, but good.

Are you guys following @whole30recipes on Instagram?  I've found some really yummy recipes on there, including some Asian Lettuce Wraps that I've actually been having for my breakfasts this week.  Super yummy!

I also made my own almond milk last night, which was relatively simple, but it included a vanilla bean blended in with the almonds, which I thought sounded amazing.  It actually came out tasting kind of weird, almost like chemicals or something.  It was the first time I've ever even used a real vanilla bean so maybe that's normal?

You guys have made me want to run out and buy an immersion blender now!  Which ones do you all have?

I love my immersion blender as well. Nothing fancy just middle of the line handheld blender that makes me feel like I know what I'm doing...lol!

On that note, does anyone know where the recipe is for paleo mayo using the immersion blender?

I use this recipe, and make it with my immersion blender instead of a traditional blender. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Comes out perfect for me every single time.

You guys have made me want to run out and buy an immersion blender now!  Which ones do you all have?

This is my immersion blender. Worth every penny.

Thanks Chris. I have that same immersion blender. It seems like the same recipe I used with the food processor. Do you just throw all the ingredients in at the same time and blend away or do you have to drizzle the oil?

Hope everyone is feeling well. No Tiger Blood here yet but here's to hoping!

On that note, does anyone know where the recipe is for paleo mayo using the immersion blender? I made my first batch a few days ago in my food processer. I was sooooooo excited that it emulsified (since this seems to be the main problem with making your own mayo) that I was literally jumping up and down screeching (delightfully of course) in my kitchen. My hubby thought I lost my mind!!! It tastes pretty darn good, too!

Good Morning and happy day...17?  Not sure - will have to check!!  Granny, this is the recipe i used for the mayo  http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/   Use the high speed on your immersion blender.  It worked like a charm!!  Turned to mayo almost instantly - no drizzling like the food processor method.  I picked up my blender at Target.  It's a KitchenAid brand, about 40 bucks.  I like it!! 

I'm feeling good, but not what I would call "Tiger Blood" either - but good, better than before for sure!! 

Have a great day everyone!! 

Thanks Chris. I have that same immersion blender. It seems like the same recipe I used with the food processor. Do you just throw all the ingredients in at the same time and blend away or do you have to drizzle the oil?

I follow the instructions exactly as outlined in the video. Let the egg and lemon juice sit together for at least 30 minutes, then add the salt, mustard power, 1/4 oil and blend for 30 seconds. Then I do the drizzle with the remaining cup of oil.  With the immersion blender, as the mayo gets thicker, I move the blender up and down in the mixture. I find, as it gets thicker, I can add enough oil that just coats the top of the mayo, then blend by moving the stick up and down, and it works beautifully.

Archived