Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

I don't drizzle for my mayo with the immersion blender.  I put all the ingredients in my jar and blend.  I follow the same recipe for mayo that I used previously, but use about 1/4 cup less oil.

I have a Cuisinart.  It was around $50 at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I made Nom Nom Paleo's Big -O's Bacon Burgers last night after reading a suggestion here on the forum.  They were great.  I had them with mayo and Well Fed's Kickass Ketchup, pickles and BROCCOLI GREENS!  They're yummy....very similar to chard.  This is my first year growing broccoli in my garden and after we harvested the florets I thought it seemed wasteful not to eat all the leaves.  So after a quick google search to find out if they were edible...voila!  I cooked up a little of the leftover bacon (from the burgers) and sauteed shallots in the fat, then tossed the steamed greens in with the fat and shallots and topped with some crumbly bacon bits.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love hearing about what everyone cooked and whether or not they liked it. Yesterday I made Korean short ribs in the slow cooker from nomnom paleo! Wow! Delicious! So worth the time and effort.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs

I will have to look up the bacon burgers. And next time I make mayo I will try it with my immersion blender.

Well, not the healthiest day 17, but compliant! Had an early am flight for the day so ate breakfast at 3:30 am! Brought my own lunch but didn't eat my avocado as was in a meeting. Dinner: 10 pm after I got home from trip. Not ideal but truthfully I feel great- first day I have had energy like this! Hopefully it will last.

Tomorrow is Day 18!

Need to change things up... Work has been crazy (kids schedule too) so I haven't been doing a lot of cooking this week, just old standbys. Getting bored... Need to spice up my flavor palate and try some of the recipes you've all posted! But it's dance recital, soccer, and Father's Day weekend. Holy Moly! Need more hours in the day!

It's so inspiring to log back in after being off a few days and see how well everyone is doing. As for me, I'm feeling great. I had a run in with apricots this week which was interesting. I picked up a pack at Trader Joes Monday. They didn't have any added ingredients, literally they were just apricots. I was doing fine eating a few at a time, and then I realized they tasted somewhat like candy and I wanted them all the time. Sadly I had to toss them (to be fair there were only a few left at that point  :lol:). Sunbutter is something I have to limit as well. But overall, I feel like I've fallen into a rhythm with my meals which feels great. My energy is consistent and steady all day long. It's wonderful!

I have a challenge ahead on Sunday. We are going to the US Open (golf) and you cannot bring in anything. I need to research what food options are going to be available. It's going to be a long day and I know I'll have to eat something. Wish me luck! 

Thanks for the continued inspiration-- oh! and Lindyjules, thanks for sharing your post 30 plans. I haven't had time to think about that yet, but I want to get a plan in place soon. I would absolutely be game for meeting again next year!

Sounds like I need to start the hunt for compliant bacon! I definitely need something new for next week! Think I'll make veggie soup this weekend with those bacon burgers. What's everyone else making this weekend? Still awaiting Tiger Blood, but I'm in need of a good night's sleep. I do feel better than before - more even in energy throughout the day, except always exhausted when I get home from work... Hanging in there with all of you!

LindyJules - not sure where you are, but my Publix JUST started carrying compliant bacon (previously the only place I could find it here was Whole Foods). It's Maverick brand, with the rest of the bacon.

I'm cooking bacon burgers, hopefully some kind of peach compote thing to go with them, broccoli salad, cauliflower pilaf, sunrise scramble, sauerkraut, not sure what else. (We have a local business that "imports" amazing peaches from their family farm in Georgia a few hours away, and all my favorite restaurants had peach specials with their peaches this week - but nothing compliant. SO sad. I decided I'd have to try my own!)

Sounds like I need to start the hunt for compliant bacon! I definitely need something new for next week! Think I'll make veggie soup this weekend with those bacon burgers. What's everyone else making this weekend? Still awaiting Tiger Blood, but I'm in need of a good night's sleep. I do feel better than before - more even in energy throughout the day, except always exhausted when I get home from work... Hanging in there with all of you!

I found compliant bacon at Whole foods, Pederson is maker i believe. I also found Italian sausage! so excited gonna try spaghetti squash for the first time with tomato sauce & the sausage. We are going out of town again for the weekend, but i have dressing with me and i'm a little more sure of myself with dining out ( i'm typically not one of those people who ask to hold things or adapt the menu, but i'm finding that restaurants are very accommodating)

Here we are  :) Day 18! cant believe it! Thank goodness i have this forum to go to!I feel good, I don't know about "tiger blood" but i am not in a slump most of the time, my goal is to put more exercise into my routine next week! Have a great weekend everyone!

I'm going out to eat tonight for the first time since I've started my Whole30 and I'm totally terrified!  I know this has been discussed early on so I'll look at those too, but anyone have any new tips that you've figured out about eating out and staying compliant?  :unsure:

Everyone raves about chocolate chili... So why did I hate it? Uggg. To bitter of an after taste for me. I couldn't use coconut oil (we have a severe nut allergy in the house so I don't purchase any nut products for home) could that have made the difference?

Everyone raves about chocolate chili... So why did I hate it? Uggg. To bitter of an after taste for me. I couldn't use coconut oil (we have a severe nut allergy in the house so I don't purchase any nut products for home) could that have made the difference?

Coconut is not a member of the nut family it is a member of the palm family. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut

What did you use instead of coconut oil? 

Some random thoughts:

*homemade mayo is a must have, I've been adding parsley and chives when I make it.

*I always have a huge bowl of salad in the fridge for fast, easy meals. I just add my protein and fat.

*made ghee today for the first time with nom nom paleo's recipe...I hope it turned out!

*my body seems much more sensitive to caffeine, since a I haven't been drinking nearly as much coffee.

*I found myself much hungrier than usual during my premenstrual days.

*seeing all of your comments helps keep me motivated! Passed up the 7 layer taco dip at a backyard BBQ today!!

I used olive oil with my chili, but I also tweaked it because I couldn't find a compliant version of the tomatoes it called for. I used chipotle chili powder, in addition to the regular. Maybe the added "heat" made a difference? I also don't know if it would have tasted so delicious without the fresh tomatoes on top - but I usually top chili with cheese and sour cream. The whole thing was a big change for me.

So, little story... Was thrilled to find bacon without added sugar at Walmart! Bought it without thinking, only to realize that it's got nitrates. Bummer. Threw it in the freezer and will be headed to Whole Foods tomorrow so my mushrooms don't go to waste. I guess if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I rarely shop at Walmart anyway, but was short on time to get a birthday gift and thought I'd look, just in case. Oh well. On to day 20!!!

So, little story... Was thrilled to find bacon without added sugar at Walmart! Bought it without thinking, only to realize that it's got nitrates. Bummer. Threw it in the freezer and will be headed to Whole Foods tomorrow so my mushrooms don't go to waste. I guess if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I rarely shop at Walmart anyway, but was short on time to get a birthday gift and thought I'd look, just in case. Oh well. On to day 20!!!

Nitrates are allowed on a Whole30.  :) So as long as there are no other non-compliant ingredients in the bacon, you can have it on your Whole30.

I used olive oil. The allergist said that even though coconut is not a nut, it is often shipped with nuts and there is a lot of evidence of cross contamination. That was about 5 years ago, but with the severity of my son's allergy, it's just not worth the risk.

It's okay that I didn't like that recipe... There are so many other good ones out there! Went to a resteraunts today and was fine with a salad. I'm really not big into dressings anymore... I just ask for lemon wedges. That and a dash of salt, and I'm good.

I have my bored with food moments, but mostly I really don't want to stop eating like this. I don't trust myself. Keep up the good work team!

HALF WAY THERE!

So, I've decided on a few things:

I will continue to prepare healthy breakfasts ahead of time. This starts my day off right and makes it easier to resist the brownies in the break room.

I will have at least 1 Whole30 compliant day each week. This will probably turn into 2 or 3 with leftovers.

I will continue to actively seek the healthier choices, where one is available (like the canned tomatoes without added sugar).

I will honestly try not to eat junk "just because it's there."

I will repeat this at least 1x per year (anyone else up for meeting back here the day after Memorial Day

I've been thinking along the same lines as you, I think reading labels was a big eye opener so I'm definitely going to stock to that part. Also breakfast has been the major change for me as I never used to eat it so really want to stick with that.

Day 18! cant believe it! Thank goodness i have this forum to go to!I feel good, I don't know about "tiger blood" but i am not in a slump most of the time, my goal is to put more exercise into my routine next week! Have a great weekend everyone!

I'm not seeing this "Tiger blood" either :-)

I definitely need to incorporate some exercise as well especially.

Didn't even think to have me protein on the side so thanks for that idea, I've been wanting to make a veggie soup.

Hello all, so I am no longer with you on the journey, but it is for a very good reason. A decision I have been putting on the back burner for a long time was made... I am resigning and going to live with my husband in south America. I really believe I was able to decide due to clarity of mind associated with eating well. I had some wine but have continued, and will continue, to eat compliant. Good luck on the final 10 days!! I will still be following you all in solidarity :)

Well, it was bound to happen - in trying all these new veggies, I have discovered an allergy. I ate 3 sugar snap peas and now I feel awful. Oh well, so much for variety. Any suggestions on the best way to cook them? Are they good in soup? (My allergies are all to raw fruits and veggies.). Thanks!

Nitrates are allowed on a Whole30.  :) So as long as there are no other non-compliant ingredients in the bacon, you can have it on your Whole30.

I stand corrected (after a visit to Whole Foods where I spent too much on a tiny package of sugar-free, uncured bacon). I just read the Bacon Manifesto. Yesterday, I could it get to any the Whole 9 sites, so I took the word of another blogger who suggested that Whole 30 was nitrate-free. Nonetheless, since Gwaltey probably falls under the "factory farmed" category, I think I have the better option now anyway. I'm no longer all that keen on the idea of bacon by itself (or in the quantities I used to consume) anyway.

Off to cut and freeze it for my burgers. :-)

Archived