Reintroduction scares me - grains? Italian?

Tomorrow is day 30. I've done whole30 probably 5 times successfully and two or three not so much. This time I've done great with the eating.

I'm through with soy, peanuts most of the time,  corn most of the time and  sugar most of the time and I'm wating to try, grains, dairy and legumes. (I miss rice and beans and cream the most)

What I've Never done correctly is re introduction, its usually like a bite, then everything at once. This time I want to do better. I want to do wheat grain first because I think I'm sensitive, and I'd like to get it over with so I can jst move on.

I'm going to go to an Italian restaurant with friends on Saturday.

I'm thinking a simple spaghetti and sauce and meatballs or chicken and pasta. (no cheese)

with bread.

So question.

If Saturday is day one, should I have wheat grains on sunday and Monday too? (providing there are no symptoms)

I'm thiking after I do dairy and legumes, I'll try rice.

fter that,  I'm planning to do mostly whole 30 for six months or so, because my body loses weight slow or not at all and with whole 30 I get body comp changes and I'm hoping in a month or two more weight loss.

I just wanna know for sure.

The standard reintro protocol calls for testing the food at every meal (if you want) on the first day, and then back to W30 eating for at least 2 days before you try anything else. If you have any adverse reactions, you should wait until you feel back to normal to try another food.

it scared me for good reason. It didn't go as planned and I'm back on whole 30 -- because of course it could be dairy, wheat gluten or sugar. Or all three, because I ate all three Saturday, and corn and dairy on Monday, and corn yesterday. And today had symptoms.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I may be jumping in late here - but I have a couple of questions regarding re-introductions.  I completed my Whole30 on June 10th.  But in reality it turned into Whole 35 because I was terrified to deviate.  I don't know why exactly, but I didn't want all the good work i did to go to waste.

On day 36 I reintroduced organic half and half for my coffee.  No issues.  So I am assuming this means I can have cream and butter?  And those do not impact me?  I felt great still, plenty of energy, no sinus issues, no stomach issues.

Then last night I had a glass of white wine.  I also cooked with it.  I missed having a glass of wine or a beer most.  But I have been loyal to the Whole30 process.  I had no issue with the wine.  I still feel great.  No troubles of any nature.  I know that the Whole9 lifestyle does not encourage alcohol.  But I feel as though I want to have a glass of wine on a Friday night, or a beer on Saturday with friends.  I am not a big drinker, but I do like what i chose to indulge in.  What is the concept on this?  Does it completely destroy what I've accomplished and done?  Can i eat very close to Whole30 and have an occasional beer?  Or am I supposed to go back to a strict Whole30 after having one (for a full 30 days)??

These may seem odd questions to some, but this is my very first time.  The sugar dragon is what I needed to slay.  I KNOW myself well enough that I can not even let a taste of a dessert pass my lips - - or I will spiral headfirst into gorging myself on sweet treats.  I lost about 12-14 pounds on my whole30 and my severe joint pain went away.  I have about 20 pounds to my realistic weight goal and 25-30 to my pie-in-the-sky weight goal.  But I"m telling you -- - there is a 600 pound woman inside this body dying to get out!  So sugar is def a trigger for me. Therefore I don't plan on using any kind or variation of sweeteners.  That's the plan anyway.  I hope i can do it!

I also had a question about quinoa.  That is not on approved list.  But is the purpose of Whole30 then the Whole9 lifetstyle to determine your tolerences and individual choices?  If i decide to have quinoa on a somewhat regular basis does that mean I have failed in this process?  Or can I adopt an 80% compliant, 20% non-compliant ratio?  I think I need an 'after Whole30' support group!  I don't want to be fearful of eating different foods.  Thank you for your input :)

Nancy - the purpose of the reintros is to figure out what works for you personally, so it sounds like you're going about it in a great way! This isn't supposed to be "Whole365" - even people who continue to eat mostly Whole30-style will sometimes add in things not allowed on Whole30 that they know work for them, like full-fat cream in coffee or grassfed butter or white rice. But those things are different for everyone depending on your context and how you react to them.

Regarding the wine - I'd try beer separately from wine. It's possible that because beer is made from grains and generally contains gluten, it might affect you differently than wine. You're right that alcohol isn't encouraged, but that doesn't mean anyone expects you to never have it again - just like cookies aren't encouraged, but sometimes a cookie is worth it to some people.

Having quinoa (or yogurt or anything else) as a regular part of your diet doesn't mean you've failed at anything! It means you've made choices about what you think works best for you. If it's a conscious choice, that's great. Figuring out what works for you and making your own decisions is part of the Whole30's purpose.

Thank you jent103 - that makes me feel a bit more relaxed. I don't want to become obsessed about what i eat, because then it's like having a dysfunctional relationship with food again. Before I didn't care at all what i ate.  I had the urge, I ate it.  Now i'm on the other side.  Critically analyzing every aspect of the tiniest morsel that I didn't prepare myself.  

I actually did the end of my Whole30 on long distance drive - 15 hours to destination, pick up a horse trailer and horse and 18 hours to next destination.  With 2 days in between.  I ended up day 31 still on the road.  So i definitely did not want to reintroduce something that may cause an already long and taxing drive to be even worse!

Today I didn't bring my lunch to work - out of food that I wanted.  So I had to purchase lunch.  I thought I did pretty well.  But I'm thinking that perhaps the meat i purchased has non-compliant seasoning or method of processing.  I feel awful.  Almost immediately after eating.  I had turkey meat, chicken meat and pork meat.  the pork was a bbq pork (very little sauce) the other two were dry rub.  BUT I had 2 wings - they were battered and had sauce.  They tasted SO GOOD!  Hot wings being my weakness.  These weren't hot wings, but like Asian wings.  Now my stomach hurts severely.  i am going to venture to guess that it was the 2 little wings.  Just that little bit.  

Totally not worth the consequence.  I really hope other food I love isn't this way!  Or I will be finding new foods to love.  Thank you again.

I love that - "I'll be finding new foods to love!" Sometimes it is really sad when I realize something I love makes me feel like crap, but I've discovered so many new foods and new ways to prepare them out of necessity while eating this way - it really evens out to a win for me! And the longer I eat this way, the less I miss certain foods. (I was SO MAD about not having my Greek yogurt during my first Whole30. I ate it semi-regularly for awhile after - not daily like I had been, but every few weeks. But I haven't had it in months now and don't really miss it, because I know it didn't fill me up and honestly didn't make me feel great. It's totally a process, though.)

I'm really sorry you feel bad - that stinks. I wonder if those wings had soy sauce in the marinade? You might reintro soy to see if that happens again, so you know to avoid it. Or you're right, it could be an additive or something in the dry rub, or maybe the gluten if the wings had that kind of batter.

Guest WholeStanley

it scared me for good reason. It didn't go as planned and I'm back on whole 30 -- because of course it could be dairy, wheat gluten or sugar. Or all three, because I ate all three Saturday, and corn and dairy on Monday, and corn yesterday. And today had symptoms.

:(

Coffeandshoes, sorry that reintro didn't quite go to planned - I too have been putting off reintro, it's a bit like taking the stabilisers of your bike and not being confident in yourself that you can keep peddling! Would it be helpful to go through your thoughts/what exactly happened on Saturday and Monday and then you might be able to pinpoint where things went a little of track and maybe avoid it next time? Just a thought, just seems this could be a very good learning experience

• 2 months later...

Thank you jent103 - I am eating clean today for sure!  I love hot wings so much I am going to find a compliant hot sauce.  I have to believe there is one!    

My housemate and I winged (haha, didn't see the pun til I reread the post) a recipe for baked hot wings that used Frank's Red Hot. Same as Louisiana, just hot peppers, vinegar, and garlic. Mix it with melted clarified butter/ghee in the appropriate ratio for buffalo sauce (I'm an eyeballer, sorry!) toss the wings in a huge Ziploc with it and marinate them in it for a few hours, and then put them straight onto a baking sheet still dripping with sauce. Bake at 375 (I'm betting it was a minimum of 45 minutes, but it may have been as long as 1:15, depending on how big the wings were and how done you like them. My mom and I like them slightly overdone so that the hot sauce mixture has formed a bit of a crust on the wings). Your entire house will smell like hot wings. I know it took an entire bottle to marinate and bake a "family pack" of intact wings, and you might want to brush them with extra sauce as you go, so plan accordingly and buy two bottles.

Archived