Need a new rotation for veggies

southlake

So, I just started a new medication that severely limits the amount of vitamin k rich vegetables I can have. This has thrown a serious wrench into my plans!

I am not allowed to have more than a cup a day of:

brussel sprouts

Spinach

dark green lettuces

cabbage

kale

broccoli

mustard greens

collard greens

turnip greens

Normally, I eat 4-5 servings of cabbage/brussel sprouts/broccoli per day. breakfast is usually fried eggs with either roasted broccoli or shredded brussel sprouts. Lunch is a big slaw of cabbage and cilantro, mixed up between asian or mexican style flavors

Now I'm struggling to find new options on how to keep things easy, particularly for lunch. It looks like salads are now out, and it isn't exactly soup weather. I'm also having  a hard time with breakfast, as there are only limited veggies that I like to have with eggs. I'm thinking that may be the time to have my one cup of forbidden veggies

Anyone have some veggie tips to throw out? Expand my horizons? Thank you!!

Off hand I would say:

Snow Peas

Carrots

Green Beans

Sweet Potato

Beets

Cauliflower

For Breakfast I like to make a 3 egg omlet with a mix of the following

Tomatoes

Onions

Red, Yellow, Orange or Green Bell Pepper

Mushrooms

How about all the varieties of pumpkin/squash (I think they go well with eggs)? Tomatoes/physalis? All sorts of mushrooms? Can you have eggplant? Parsnips (very yummy fried or in an omelett)? Is cauliflower out too (since its cruciferous as a lot that you mentioned)?Asparagus is in season over here now (although almost over). Radishes? So many options! :)

For breakfast, I've gotten in the habit of peeling a rutabaga and shredding it using my food processor (You could use a grater of some sort too).  To me, the taste is relatively mild, and it reminds me of hashbrowns. Sometimes I even mix some sweet potato in with it and throw about a cup or two of the shredded veggies in a frying pan with some ghee. Once they're mostly cooked, I crack my eggs on top and cover until they're cooked too.  It's delicious!

Oops! I mean to make the point that if you cooked up extra in the morning, this would be an easy option to pair with any protein for lunch!

• Moderators

Roasted cauliflower is good, maybe make that instead of your roasted broccoli at breakfast. Zucchini and yellow squash are very versatile -- you can eat them raw, steam them, roast them, or slice them really thin and bake them until they're crispy to make chips out of them. Sometimes I make a salad of raw zucchini and/or squash, jicama (for a little crunch), carrots, maybe some peeled cucumber, and them a little bit of fruit, maybe some grapes or a banana, and have that with breakfast (I make up several days' worth at once, so I use things that won't turn brown quickly)  

If you can still find butternut squash, try the Velvety Butternut Squash recipe from theclothesmakethegirl.com -- it's pretty good even cold, and might be the kind of mild, slightly sweet flavor that would be more appealing in the morning if you don't like stronger flavored vegetables. Sweet potato is actually good with eggs too -- you can grate it up and fry it like hash browns, or if you're lazy like I am most mornings, use leftover roasted ones. 

Roasted beets are good. Mushrooms can be sauteed and put in an omelette or just chopped up and scrambled with some scrambled eggs. 

There are cold soups like the ones here that might be good.

Honestly, there are so many vegetables out there. I get stuck on the same few and have to make myself go to the store, look around, and pick up something that either I've never tried before, or I haven't had in a long time. I think of it as a game now -- can I stump the cashier with veggies they've never seen before? (Although this last time I got one who didn't know what beets were and mistook my zucchini for cucumber, so some days it's easier than others  :unsure:)

I don't know if this will be useful at all but are you on Coumadin or warfarin by chance? When I was on it my drs said that as long as I was consistent with my intake of vit k rich veggies,they'd adjust the medication accordingly. Just be honest about your consumption to your Coumadin clinic :) if not you can ignore this.

For a decent, and easy alternative to a salad, you could spiralize zucchini (aka zoodles)...and toss them with olive oil and some salt or other seasoning.  I have done that in a pinch and it's come out great.  It's usually better when the zucchini is chilled, and don't toss with the oil until you are ready to eat it so it doesn't get soggy and retains a nice crunch.  You can also mix in some other veggies: halved cherry tomatoes, black olives etc etc.  

I don't know if this will be useful at all but are you on Coumadin or warfarin by chance? When I was on it my drs said that as long as I was consistent with my intake of vit k rich veggies,they'd adjust the medication accordingly. Just be honest about your consumption to your Coumadin clinic :) if not you can ignore this.

I am, actually! I'm meeting with the anti-coag clinic tomorrow for the first time, so I'm hoping that they can give me some better guidelines than what I got from the hospital. Unfortunately, I haven't consumed any of them since I started my meds, so I'm hoping they can work with me to get back on track...

Thank you all for the suggestions. The spiralized zucchini salad sounds like a good start to replace what I've been having.

It's frustrating because I feel like I worked so hard to expand my vegetable palette, only to have all of my new favorites taken away. 

• 3 months later...

I'm glad I found this... I always liked rutabaga in soups - now I will shred it and try it like "hashbrowns"  Lots of good suggestions - I' on day #2 and want to make sure that I have lots of new veggies to try.  I used to hate the beets my mom used to make, but now I am actually interested in roasted beets.  Have you done this ?  and do I peel them and roast like I would my sweet potatoes ??

Tina

• Moderators

I'm glad I found this... I always liked rutabaga in soups - now I will shred it and try it like "hashbrowns"  Lots of good suggestions - I' on day #2 and want to make sure that I have lots of new veggies to try.  I used to hate the beets my mom used to make, but now I am actually interested in roasted beets.  Have you done this ?  and do I peel them and roast like I would my sweet potatoes ??

Tina

My mom used to serve canned beets and I never cared for them. Roasted, they have an earthy but sweet flavor. I peel them and cut them up and roast them like I do sweet potatoes. You can also roast them whole, unpeeled, and supposedly the peel will just slip off more easily -- that didn't work for me, and I and everything on my kitchen counter ended up purple in the attempt, but I've read several recipes that say to do it that way.

Thank you Shannon !  I'm sure that my mom cooked canned beets too.  Poor lady even tried to cook celery one time ! (like by itself - in butter) I asked her nicely to not do that again. LOL

I have beets on my schedule to cook up on my food prep day  Thanks again

My mom used to serve canned beets and I never cared for them. Roasted, they have an earthy but sweet flavor. I peel them and cut them up and roast them like I do sweet potatoes. You can also roast them whole, unpeeled, and supposedly the peel will just slip off more easily -- that didn't work for me, and I and everything on my kitchen counter ended up purple in the attempt, but I've read several recipes that say to do it that way.

You don't even have to peel them. I scrub mine, cut the tops and tip off, quarter them, toss in olive oil, add S&P, and wrap in foil. Roast for about an hour, they are perfect!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Roasted asian eggplant.  I think I could live on it :)  Its less bitter and less seedy than globe eggplant.  I usually slice up 2 12" eggplants into coin size pieces.  LIghtly grease a cookie sheet with coconut oil and put them on.  Lightly coat the coins with oil and then salt them.  Broil them on low for 10 min and flip.  And broil again until brown.  I eat these so often I don't even bother washing my cookie sheet anymore - I just leave it in the oven since I use it every day - usually I remember to take it out if I'm using the oven for something else ;)

Archived