Type 2 Diabetes

Newby

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I have a couple of questions but would like to tell you how I found the whole30 first.

On the day I came across the whole30 I had been to the doctor for my blood glucose results, they were not good, the doctor suggested I start on injections (not insulin) but injections all the same. In my mind this was not going to happen & I had faith that the whole30 would deliver & it did!

I read 'It starts with food' during that week & looked for recipes & shopped for the right food. I was ready to start on Monday May 12th. My husband was amused as my diets always start on a Monday but he was very supportive, I had to get my health under control. We ate the same foods of an evening & on the weekends & he also improved his food choices while at work.

I did not find it difficult as I wasn't hungry, I did not cheat, even having weekends away ( I took some foods with me) in the first week my blood glucose readings were gradually reducing to within the normal range but would spike at times, it took till the third week for them to be under control & steady in the perfect range of 6, I was so happy.

Then I was coming toward the end of the whole30 & was getting bored with all the food prep for a couple of days but I gave myself a talking to as I realised it's not ending, I would have to keep going to keep my blood glucose levels under control & I need to lose 20 kgs so get on with it.

I didn't have the boundless energy that a lot of people have but I did have more energy, I lot of my aches & pains had disappeared, I could tell I'd lost weight & my glucose levels were normal, it's amazing!

So after the last day I weighed myself & had lost 5 kgs, I was very happy but looking forward to some dairy & a flat white coffee! Then over the next couple of days with having dairy my blood glucose levels started to go up again, I was disappointed as I had worked so hard to get them down to the 6 range & now they were climbing up to 8, I dropped milk out again (the flat whites were not as great as I had imagined over that month) it took a few days for my levels to start going down again, I will probably still have some cheese & see how it goes, it's more in recipes than just eating it on it's own.

So now I'm 6 days post whole30 & today I thought I would have a grain bread roll with salmon on it for lunch. Again I didn't really enjoy it, same as the milk but I had a bit of a reaction to it, I felt a bit unwell & ended up asleep for an hour after lunch. I don't know if I can do another whole30 right now, maybe in a couple of weeks I will do it again. At the moment I want the option of having cheese if I want or a piece of bread. We will continue with the whole30 most of the time though.

So the question is, has anyone else had problems with blood glucose levels after dairy? This is not something that has happened to me before. Also has anyone else experienced feeling as I did after bread, I'm a bit scared to have it again at the moment, any feedback would be appreciated 😄

of course! Going back to how you were eating before will mean going back to how you were feeling before. Many people have issues after eating dairy and bread.

As much as we like to say it around here, the whole30 isn't magic, it is the first step in understanding how powerful food can be in your health and well being. We recommend a controlled reintroduction, so you can know which of the eliminated foods has the most impact on you. If you want long-term results from the whole30 you will have to make some sort of long term changes in your eating patterns.

also fyi: I moved this to the reintro section.

The best way to search for answers is google "whole30 blood sugar" or whatever you are looking for. Blood sugar does spike when you eat carbs ( sugar) so I assume that is why you felt bad after you ate bread. The whole30 keeps your blood sugar level because you aren't eating sugar and other foods that will increase your blood sugar. Because you already have insulin issues you may be very sensitive to carbs. I am not a doctor so I don't know if this will ever go away for you. Here is a post I found. Sometimes my computer won't let me post links here so you may have to search google to find it. Good luck! http://whole30.com/2011/03/the-whole30-type-1-diabetes/.

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue.

Personally, I "triage" things that up my glucose. Example: mashed potatoes are absolutely NOT worth it to me, so I don't eat them, EVER. A fantastic small dish of gelato while walking the streets of Italy, YES PLEASE!  & I just take a little extra insulin to compensate for the spike from sugar and milk. I never drink sweet beverages (lemonade other than made with stevia, regular soda, glasses of juice, "sport drinks," etc), as none of them are "worth it" to me. 

The book It Starts With Food (a.k.a. ISWF) goes into some pretty eye-opening description of what dairy does to blood sugar! Yikes, I didn't know when I was slamming quarts of it the years before my diagnosis....

GOOD LUCK!!

• 1 month later...

I'm a Type 1 Diabetic for 31 years. For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue.

Personally, I "triage" things that up my glucose. Example: mashed potatoes are absolutely NOT worth it to me, so I don't eat them, EVER. A fantastic small dish of gelato while walking the streets of Italy, YES PLEASE!  & I just take a little extra insulin to compensate for the spike from sugar and milk. I never drink sweet beverages (lemonade other than made with stevia, regular soda, glasses of juice, "sport drinks," etc), as none of them are "worth it" to me. 

The book It Starts With Food (a.k.a. ISWF) goes into some pretty eye-opening description of what dairy does to blood sugar! Yikes, I didn't know when I was slamming quarts of it the years before my diagnosis....

GOOD LUCK!!

Your lifestyle has been my journey for the past 53 days and I've never felt better in my life.   

"For EVERYONE, bread/starches, lactose (dairy sugars), white potatoes, corn, etc increases blood sugar. The only items that keep my glucose even-keeled are Proteins (meat), low-starch veggies (the ones approved on W30), healthy fats, and sparing low-sugar fruits (like berries, NOT like mangos or bananas).  No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue."

I'm not going to reintroduce myself to the higher starch veggies and fruits, dairy sugars.   I know exactly where I  was headed.

" No amount of avoiding these items temporarily will have them break down any differently when they are consumed.  If you want great #s to continue, your great habits need to continue."    Wow, there's an eye opener.

These are genuine nuggets of wisdom.   Thank you.   I will refer back to this when I need to be reminded.

• Moderators

So the question is, has anyone else had problems with blood glucose levels after dairy? This is not something that has happened to me before. Also has anyone else experienced feeling as I did after bread, I'm a bit scared to have it again at the moment, any feedback would be appreciated 😄

I think cheese may affect blood sugar differently than just drinking milk does, at least from what some relatives who have diabetes have said. But your results may be different.

As for the bread -- that's how I feel when I eat it. Therefore, I don't eat it much. Seriously, half a dinner roll left me feeling tired and foggy. If I have a whole sandwich, I have to take a nap. I have some occasionally, but it's almost never worth it.

Archived