How much food for people who don't work out?

JessieM

Hi there,

Brand new to this forum.  Today is day 1 for my husband and me.  We have the book on order, arriving tomorrow.  I'm using The Clothes Make the Girl as a guide for meal planning, but it seems like the meals are portioned out for people who work out or are in Cross Fit.

I'm wondering how large our meals should be if we don't work out?

I'm 5'8" and 137 pounds.  I walk regularly at work, but don't do any other exercise at the moment.

My husband is 5'10" and 239 pounds.  He is very sedentary.  Very.

We are going to start alternating walking and swimming in the evenings, and I'm going to start basic strength exercises (sit ups, push ups, squats).

What would be the recommendation for us?  I don't want to give us too much food, but I don't want my husband to say he's starving and quit on me.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Meal template is 1-2 palm sizes of protein, 1-2thumbs of fat and FILL your plate with veggies. Eat until you feel full. If you are truly hungry between meals (hungry enough to eat steamed fish with broccoli) then eat a mini meal of protein and fat, not snack foods. This hunger also means that your previous meal(s) were probably too small. It may take some time to figure how much you need to eat at each meal and that's okay. This 30 days is your time to tweak where needed.

Three meals really are better than 5.   By your numbers,  I'm not judging....it would appear that weight loss is not your goal.  It would appear that you're darned near perfect.  Three meals and no snacks are the way to go.

Your husband, I don't know what you have in mind for him....but "3 hots and a cot" will work.   He needs to ease into exercise or this might be too much boot camp for him.   Walking/swimming is great.   He needs to set the pace for his recovery.   Best wishes to you both.

No, weight loss is definitely not my goal.  I lost 40 pounds last year and I'm just in "maintenance mode" now.  I'm doing this to support my husband and try to get us into the habit of eating less "junk," and maybe get a little toned.  I'm thin, but jiggly, lol.

• Moderators

Jessie,

I agree with rhed - follow the Meal Template. You may need to eat a little more than you feel you should. I was often full before my food was gone, but I found if I didn't eat the amount I had served myself, I got hungry before the next meal. I do work out, though I took it very, very easy the first 2 weeks. I lost 10 lbs on my 1st Whole30, and was not trying/expecting to lose anything.

Ok, thanks.

This is going to be quite a change for me.  I'm used to eating 5 small meals a day.  I'm already hungry for my morning snack.   :(

I like what others have suggested and wanted to something:

It make take a bit of time for your body to adjust to eating enough at each meal to make it to the next meal*. Initially it may feel like too much, ( a bit too much, don't stuff yourself!), but gradually your body will get used to it.

It make may also take time to figure out what that amount is. Your body will go through a number of changes, so be prepared that the 30 days is a process, not something that happens day 1 and then you do for the next 30 day.

Think of it as a 30 day course! If you are not oppsed to it, taking notes can be extremely helpful. You can then go see what you did on days you made it to each meal comfortabley, along with any other changes.

Have fun! :D

*It did happen for me (I am a major snacker, so at first my body did not like eating enough at one time!) But now, it's a great feeling to make it to the next meal and be ready to eat - comfortably hungry - as it should be.

Just echoing everyone else's recommendation to go by the meal template. I'm on my 5th (I think?) Whole30 right now, and I don't know how I'md oing weight-wise this time yet, obviously, but I lost 10-20 pounds on every Whole30, and I don't work out beyond walking about 4-5 miles a day (mostly as part of my commute), and doing yoga once a week or so.

*It did happen for me (I am a major snacker, so at first my body did not like eating enough at one time!) But now, it's a great feeling to make it to the next meal and be ready to eat - comfortably hungry - as it should be.

This.  Besides awesome sleep, no longer needing to snack between meals was my favorite benefit of my first Whole30.  All of a sudden, I didn't need to pack a massive bag of food to take to work everyday.  One good quality meal and I was good to go!  It did take awhile for my body to adjust though.

As far as the husband goes - I found that mine ate a LOT more than I did (his meal size was almost double mine) and while I'm smaller, I'm not half his size and I workout significantly more than he does.  He just found he ate a lot to get and stay full.  He did lose weight even though he started at barely above 'normal' for his height.  Start with the template and adjust from there...particularly if he is still hungry.

Archived