Hello,  I'm on day 22 of my first Whole 30. I started this with the hopes of finding relief from my endometriosis pain, IBS symptoms, allergies/asthma, and to feel more energized. While on this journey, I do feel that my digestive health is a bit better. I feel that I know now how much fruit is "too much fruit" for my tummy and one accidental consumption of feta cheese helped me realize that dairy products hurt too. I am still experiencing endometriosis pain and allergy/asthma symptoms. 

I suspected from the get go that my healing process would be a long one. I've had IBS since I was 10 years old and endometriosis since my first cycle at 12. I'm now 27. I've always planned to do a Whole 60. However, I'm still feeling very tired. I also have a lot of acne breaking out on my face. I have read on the forum a lot of support about how it can take longer to get the energy boost. However, this fatigue along with my (newer) acne and with my medical conditions has me wondering if I should try the AIP for my second whole 30. While this is daunting to me as eggs and bell peppers are some of my favorite ingredients and I enjoy almond butter, I wonder if it wouldn't be more beneficial. For my energy level, I've made sure to eat starchy veggies with each meal (mainly sweet potatoes, since I love those). However, I don't notice a difference. Still lethargic during the day. 

Any thoughts, help, or support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Some folks don't really feel an energy boost until close to the end of the 30 days (and in fact, it's kind of common for folks to report, here on the forums, that days 21-22ish are really tough, energy-wise).  It might be worth keeping this in mind as you plan for what's next after this first Whole30.

Also, if you would like some specific tips on eating within the Whole30 framework (as you are doing now, not AIP specifically), you could post a couple of days' worth of sample meals here for feedback.  That might help pinpoint some things you could target to increase energy.  I know there are folks here who deal with acne as well, and some folks might be able to chime in about possible triggers.

Regarding taking on the AIP, there are several here who have done it/are doing it, and if you go to Paleo Mom's website you can get even more detailed information (and she just wrote a book).  Usually we here recommend that folks do an entire regular Whole30 and then see if the AIP might help - but given your health issues I understand your looking ahead to a possible AIP already. 

Again, posting a few sample meals might help folks chime in with tips for now (for energy and acne especially); and the AIP crowd might be able to help you figure out how to more easily alter your Whole30 foods for an AIP.

I do wish you good health, and positive results - and congrats on, well, starting with food!

• Moderators

I am glad you recognize that you have had problems for a long time and it is likely to take more than 30 days to make as much progress as you want and need to make. 

I don't think doing the AI protocol will improve your energy levels. The reason to move on to the AI approach is if you continue to have bloating, swelling, inflammation, etc or recognize that you don't feel right after eating certain foods. The AIP is challenging enough, that I would rather see you do 60 days of the plain Whole30 protocol and not make things harder by eliminating foods that may not be a problem for you. 

Thanks for your responses. Tomorrow I'll look into posting a whole day's meals, so maybe I can get some tips. Amy, it's helpful to know that other people have said this time frame I'm in is really tough. And Tom, thanks for letting me know that AIP won't help with energy levels. I'm going to do this for a total of 60 days. I'm so tired of being in pain. It's worth it for me to have the minor hassles of meal planning/lots of cooking.I've also given up caffiene. I started that two weeks before going on my Whole 30. My caffiene addiction came out of fatigue, but of course it exacerbated my endometriosis and IBS symptoms. 

If after the Whole 60 I'm still at this level of fatigue, I'll check in with my doctor. I've been considering requesting a sleep study to see if perhaps there is something with my sleep that isn't right. However, I'm hopeful that my diet is the real issue...I'd hate to add another medical condition on top of the ones I already have.  ;)

I am on my second W30 and this time I am doing AIP for auto immune issues. 

I am seeing a significant different in energy levels this time around. 

I think you might see a real difference when you eliminate eggs and nightshades. 

You really don't miss them as much as you think you will. 

Feel free to message me if you have more questions. 

• 4 weeks later...

Since starting the Whole30 (I am currently on day 9)...the first week was not too bad. I have noticed due to eating eggs pretty much everyday for breakfast, I have been getting (TMI) diarrhea. I have intestinal permeability and IBS. I am wondering if I should find some alternative breakfast ideas, and if so, any ideas? Thanks!

• Moderators

Since starting the Whole30 (I am currently on day 9)...the first week was not too bad. I have noticed due to eating eggs pretty much everyday for breakfast, I have been getting (TMI) diarrhea. I have intestinal permeability and IBS. I am wondering if I should find some alternative breakfast ideas, and if so, any ideas? Thanks!

There are lots of eggless breakfast ideas on the forums -- I suggest googling something like no egg breakfast Whole30 -- it should get you a bunch of links to the forums here where it's been discussed before.  The most obvious suggestion is to eat whatever you eat at other meals, so leftovers from dinner the night before might be the easiest. Soup is nice in the morning, you can make a blended veggie soup and then top it with whatever meat you have on hand.

Archived