One last swing at a Whole30

tinman57

Official beginning of Day 12. My dope smoking neighbor shared his skunk weed fumes with us early this morning so I had to shut our window. What is wrong with people? Do what you want but don't foist your choices on me. Phew! Got that out.

Shrimp stir fry for breakfast, maybe Yankee Pot roast or lamb chops tonight.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now it comes: the pout from the husband. "Here's a recipe for pork chops!" First, I'm pleased as i like pork and he doesn't. So I read the recipe and I say, "well, honey, I can't have bourbon and brown sugar right now." With a sound of disgust and resentment he takes the recipe and crumples it up and throws it into the trash can. Where upon I say, 'Thanks for your support." And leave the room.

I sent the man the list.

I put up a countdown calendar.

I mark off each day.

I turn down pizza.

Now I am just angry and resentful. I almost just said, "fine" after his mini tantrum but damn it. I don't want to. I have no other reason to eat that except to make him "happy" supposedly. But I know that it won't. So I'm not giving in on this one.

But it will surely be a relief to leave town for a few days and I am so sorry to say that.

The thing of it is, when I decided to do Whole30, I sdked him for support but didn't insist. So this was a one sided decision. So I can't DEMAND his support.

On the other hand, I've pretty much caved in to his food rules for over eleven years.

On the other hand, I have dragged him through so many iterations of diets, one can't blame him for low tolerance.

I just have to not over react.

Day 13. Day before travel for work.

I went for a run this morning and it felt good.

I've been on call this weekend so I have to sandwich these thing in between system check ins. (Mmmmmmsandwiches)

Laundry in progress.

A rough idea of what I'm packing.

Good news. The skirt to a suit of mine which I couldn't close about a month ago closes now. So that goes with me. It'll make me think twice when I consider what I'm eating as I don't have a lot of room for error.

Packing my running gear and I may cheat and run two days in a row.

Getting my bento box ready for the day of travel. Almonds, hard boiled eggs, carrots and apples. It isn't exotic or pretty but it's functional. I have baby carrots, almonds, applesauce in my suitcase. Supplemental travel food in case things get tough.

Finished the last of my spaghetti squash (with sardines in a spicy tomato sauce) at lunch in my pre-trip fridge clean out and I'm just about getting ready to clean the kitchen floor. I could leave it as it's not like I'll get to enjoy it but I might as well leave with a clean conscience.

This time tomorrow I'll be in the air.

Day 19 today. Hanging in there and actually just getting used to being here. I checked off yesterday on my calendar and saw I only had "a few days " left and felt kind of sad. But then I realized I have plenty of choices.

I think that I did well this past week both with my exercise and much presentation in large part due to my choices. I am not sensing tigers blood but that's fine too.

Day 21 today.  Yesterday I made Italian Pork Roast (Melissa Joulwan) and have that for lunch.  I made her olive oil mayo and all I can say is if you haven't tried it you should.  I had been making one with avocado oil as a base and that takes some getting used to.  Plus light olive oil is a lot cheaper than avocado oil.  So I tried that and made tuna salad yesterday and deviled eggs for breakfast this morning. 

Okay!  I've been rounding up my thoughts here on Day 21 and I have a lot of them it would seem.  Some are inspired by a quick visit to the Weight Watchers message boards, some are inspired by my sister choosing to do a Whole30 and some are just totally and completely random.

1.  I'm in a very solid mood.  It's not over the moon happy or anything but it just feels solid.  YKWIM?

2.  I am so very glad to be doing a Whole30 compared to the poor lambs on WW.  There is a conversation today about how when you log into the WW site, you are presented with pictures of cookies or muffins.  Because "you can have anything you want".

3.  Occasionally I am diverted by some of the articles I read kvetching about the Paleo "movement" and some dissenting views that float about.  I keep thinking "Oh my, it must be hooey if there's that much discussion going on."  which of course is totally stupid.

4.  I came back from my travels and realized that, for the first time ever, I did a run during some free time.  AND I made really good choices at the restaurants.  Were they 100% compliant?  Probably not but my choices were definitely intended that way.  So I got over that.   Deal with it.

5.  My energy levels.  These are not over the moon high nor is my sleep particularly better.  On the other hand, I'm not inclined to change how I'm eating because that surely will not solve either energy or sleep.  So this would be a "Keep Calm and Carry On" moment.

6. Natural Calm.  It's okay. I don't see my rest being particularly changed whether or not I have it.

7.  Obviously I have not weighed myself and I don't care if I never do.  I'm wearing things that I might not have 3 weeks ago and feeling like I am thinner.

So overall, yes, I can get really, really intense about some of this stuff but I firmly believe I've lightened up a lot.  I am not so inclined to document every second of every day as I might have been. 

Likewise, I'm not so bound up by the community here that I am obsessively checking the boards.  When I'm bored or looking for answers I'll come here but I'm not as "engaged" as I used to be with the WW boards.  So that seems saner to me.  Not that folks here aren't absolutely lovely (and you know who you are) but simply: the support angle has changed.  I'm more independently stoked than I ever have been with other "plans".  In fact to use the word "plan" is to make Paleo/Whole30 seem like something it is not.  This isn't a regimen of points, calories, exchanges, phases etc.  It's simply the same types of choices you make or made every single day when planning your food.  It's just a different list.

And I like that.

/blog

Hi TinMan!  

So glad to hear your check in, and a hearty concurrence on the "simply the same types of choices you make or made every single day."  Yep!

YAY for not weighing - I am loving that myself, just using our own knowledge and feel, like your clothes fitting better!

I think that solid mood and non-obsessiveness is huge.  Keep calm and carry on!  Day 30 is ever closer!

Yup.  Day 24 here.  Less than a week to go but I am likely to continue in this vein for a while.  I am not sure I miss most of it too much.   I never thought I wouldn't miss peanut butter.  I certainly don't miss breads and rice.  Sometimes I miss hummus but only a very little.  Wine and occasional dark chocolate, yes -- but only somewhat.  Oh and cheese.  Again: somewhat.

In fact.  Huh.  Just doing a little momentary assessment and what do you know?  I don't have any cravings.  And haven't had for some time.

Oh sure, I have what I call "polite cravings" as when someone said "Bob Evans biscuit and gravy" so I said "Oooh Bob Evans".  But not even close to a trigger.  I thought I smelled glazed donuts (specifically Krispy Kremes) when I came in to work this morning but didn't bother to investigate.

Had an NSV I think.  I was sitting in a meeting and someone said: "I like your new haircut."  That would be the haircut I've had for a month?  I think it is a bit more noticeable or possibly even more flattering because my face is getting to be smaller.

My sister is on day 4 and feeling positive though she admits that watching football this weekend will be a trigger for alcohol.  I may have gone overboard in coaching her away from that as she's not chatting with me right now.  But she's been wanting coaching and advice for weeks now.  I wasn't told not to continue coaching.  So well, there you go.  Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I finally had a lovely night sleep last night.  Undisturbed by multiple bathroom trips.  I finally stopped drinking water after dinner and chose NOT to do that Natural Calm stuff.  I am fairly sure that was increasing my frequency of urination at night.    But I'll only know if I keep sucking back the water after dinner.  But I really don't need it.  I was using it as a substitute for wine.

While we all sound obsessed and converted when we talk about this program, I really think it's a great intro into Paleo and, if I choose to select dark chocolate after this, I think I get that I have to be careful not to reintroduce the cravings.  I think the Whole30 positions me well to be truly Paleo instead of just half-assed about it.

I want to thank you all for your continuing support through this.  I know I still have 6 days to go officially but this is a great foundation for my Paleo lifestyle.  Kudos to Dallas and Melissa. (Oh and congrats on the news!) :D

Ugh. Bad day at work and I wanted to throw it all out the window. I didn't but I am still feeling fairly crummy. I knew on my commute home I was emotional and that was the reason for wanting to cave so I stopped myself in time.

You'd think there'd be some sorta reward for staying the course under these circumstances. Instead my stomach hurts, my head hurts and I feel like I'm getting a UTI.

Day 25.

My physical and mental stress of yesterday have gone away with a good night's sleep. They all may have been stress induced but I did power through it and, for that, I am proud. What might have been four glasses of wine a month ago was just "hanging in there" knowing that alternate methods of "treatment" would leave me feeling worse in many ways.

My husbande called me droopy drawers last night, a term he only has used when I'm losing weight visibly. I also, in my frustration and stress last night, suggested he find the recipe with bourbon and brown sugar he wanted to try and we do it this weekend. He said, "No, it's not good for your diet." I said, "No, we need to talk about this stuff."

• 3 weeks later...

Lelani,

I did make it! Yay! For me I did not have stunning weight losses because I have eaten somewhat Paleo for a while before my Whole30. But I felt tons better and my energy levels were off the charts and my moods were so much more stable. Then too there's the "I did it" factor.

I've been traveling a lot with not too much food control so I am likely to do it again once I am back home. Good luck to you!

Archived