One last swing at a Whole30

tinman57

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tinman...

I have several relatives that are WW lifers.  Not a single one of them has ever maintained anything..They're all right back where they started and some are worse.

One started in the late 70's and is still trying to make it.   Now, she eats all that 100 cal snack pack garbola.  Her daily treats are miniature choco covered thin mints, new flat pretzel crackers and you get my drift.  Those diet dinners are loaded with chemicals and carbs.   In fact, if you look at any frozen dinner you will see that it's mostly white rice or pasta with a few pieces of really weird chicken thrown in for ornaments.

yup. You nickel and dime yourself to death so you can have your "treats". You punish yourself for eating by exercising and you reward yourself for exercising by eating. Insanity.

I love lambs liver, as do the kids.  I think we might have it for dinner during the week :)

I hear you on the treat yourself for being good and then berate yourself for treating yourself.  Constant yoyo of reward & remorse.

Well, we are foodies for sure! Don't worry, I don't have liver too frequently..

In the interest of full disclosure I had a restart yesterday (again) so today is Day 2. The difference between this last swing and prior attempts is I'm still here and accountable even if it's only journaling.

I also had a chat with my husband and sheepishly shared what I was attempting and where a little tolerance might be of assistance. He shrugged and said okay. It wasn't exactly a jumping up and down whooptido or anything. But there are benefits to him in terms of moods and foods so he will play along.

Last night I made pork with pear sauce and he didn't spit it out. The ghee helped.

Finally, I won't be logging my food in here unless I make a meal that is incredibly blog worthy. The food logging is way too weight watchery for me and I don't see that it fits in with the philosophy...for me anyway. Since that stuff has been a 27 year disorder for me!

Day 2 in the bag with Day 3 started.  Had a terrible night's sleep which is completely attributable to my normal Sunday angst about going back to work on Monday morning.  That plus an annoying pain through my right leg and foot.  My right root has a horrific bunion on it which tends to make my walking adapt to it which in turn creates some leg aches.  Last night I had a sharper pain on my foot that was intermittent.

Finally got up to get some aspirin and got to sleep.  But very stiff this morning and the alarm went off far too early.  I had all intentions of doing an ab challenge and decided that was too compulsive for me today.  :-) 

Back at work and focusing on delivering improvements over things I have control.  Many times I get terribly frustrated because I cannot instill in others the desire for improvements.  More often than not that is MY issue not theirs.  Their targeted improvements may not be the same as mine.  So I have to take a deep breath and say "What can I control?  What can I improve?"  Perhaps I can only control those things that are on my desk and have no other reach than that.  Maybe there's something else.

I keep going back to an old friend of mine who used to say "Tiny steps for tiny feet" which meant that I can't change my stride beyond what I can reach.

"Tiny steps for tiny feet"    Good one!

"I won't be logging my food in here unless I make a meal that is incredibly blog worthy. The food logging is way too weight watchery for me and I don't see that it fits in with the philosophy...for me anyway."

Tinman....you're all heart.   I get it.

Tin-man-gets--heart.jpg      

tin-man5.JPG

Day four rolls in like.....meh.

I still struggle with my head and acceptance of this as a way of eating versus conventional wisdom. But what the heck? It's only a month. What have I got to lose? I can always go back to eating.... Um.... Hmmmm.

I had a Paleo feed on my flipboard application on my iPad and it was suffused with criticism of Paleo. That feeds into my doubts so I removed it. When I am ready to be dissuaded, I know where to find validation for not being Paleo, just as I know where to find validation FOR being Paleo right now.

PSA: the Creamy Ginger Zucchini soup in Well Fed 2 is hahmayzing.

Being tired is the hardest part of all this - it is when the doubts and cravings kick in - the times when you want to just throw it out the window and eat anything.  

Be kind to yourself.  Make plans for when you are tired (maybe, no computer or no reading paleo feeds, etc).  For me, it is no sitting in front of the tv or grocery shopping without a list when I am tired.  Those are my triggers to "habits" and "cravings".  Even on WW, I could justify eating while tired and bored.   :)

Perhaps, start new habits - when you want to throw w30 out the window, read a couple of success story threads on the forum instead - or write down five ways that you (your life) is better since being on w30.  

Well, holy crap. My first good night's sleep in I cannot say how long. No 2:30 visit to the bathroom, no hot flashes that woke me up. I opened my eyes at 4:10 and said, "oh, I have five minutes more" and fell back asleep until the alarm and then awoke without a grumble five minutes later.

My energy was pretty amazing yesterday too.

Then later in the day I started to flirt with Weight Watchers in my head again...again some weird validation thing. But I ended up saying, Nah, why bother.

Thanks Lynne for the good words! I do a lot of success story reading both here and on Marks Daily Apple. It does help, doesn't it? How are YOU doing?

Its definitely an afternoon thing and I think is a function of fatigue and boredom and a need to focus on something other than work. Again this afternoon I pondered a return to Weight Watchers but this time it didn't stay with me as long as prior efforts. That's progress. I just have to tough it out a bit longer I think to dismiss this second guessing altogether. Feeling better gives me a lot more fortitude.

Yay!  for the successes!  

What a time to ask how I am!  Epic fail yesterday - long story short, no planning, being tired and too much emotion.  After a good night's sleep, I am back!  No definitive plan for the next couple of days, but I am going to take it one meal at a time :)

Hi I really enjoyed reading your posts, especially about WW, I have spent 40 years swinging between WW and slimming world - and sort of wondering how  SW 'mugshots' (packet chemicals) could be a 'free food' and how I could use my WW points on bread, more bread, pasta... and giving them my hard-earned money to actually not achieve anything!  But I supressed those sneaky thoughts because they seemed sometimes traitorous?     I totally know how I do not want to write anything down about my food now - I have wasted so much time of my life journaling, pointing, obsessing.... this is only day one, but I feel so free!   Actually I will make a little note of what I'm eating, so if a few days down the road I wonder what to have, I can flip back and think ''ahh, that was nice''.   I am so impressed and grateful to the Whole 30 for making so much sense in a world of pressure. I too though will have to make a determined effort to not read anything else by anyone else that  may suggest that just eating good food rather than industrialised food is somehow bad for me!!!!

All the best everyone, C x   

I too though will have to make a determined effort to not read anything else by anyone else that  may suggest that just eating good food rather than industrialised food is somehow bad for me!!!!

Atta girl Chrissie.  And now it's time to take my OWN advice!  I was diddling over on the WW boards the other day to say hello to some old friends and got dragged back into the points counting/calorie obsesing/bread binging/tracking compulsiveness again.  So suffice it to say I slipped off Whole30.  I went points for one day and ate bread then the next day I was back Paleo but not Whole30.  So it could have been worse.  I made the mistake of weighing myself Friday and just about lost it as I'd gained (GASP) a couple 10ths of a pound.  HORRORS!!!!!

In retrospect it was probably water retention because of my sodium intake the night before.  But it was too late for me.  I HAD STEPPED ON  . . .  the Soul Bandit and was dismayed and angry that all my hard work showed a gain in weight.  From there it was just another step to be reaching out for yet another try at WW. 

Thankfully that's over and lesson learned.  There's a reason we don't weigh ourselves for 30 days. 

Le Sigh.

Ah tinman57, how I know where you are at, I guess as long as we are learning though,  it is not a 'fail'.  For so long I have forgotten how to trust my own wisdom, enslaved by the slick marketing of these companies feeding off our low self esteem (well, speaking for myself that is, :))  seeing just One advertisement, offering the holy grail of 'eat like this and become that other person' then selling their chemical pretence as healthy food... oh how easily I get sucked into it, and whatever I was doing wavers.  And I didn't realise that, until I started reading' it starts with food', then it was a lightbulb moment!

Good heavens, I'm waffling!  I mean't to say, well done on escaping WW again! Never give up giving up.   And I think I need to see a psychologist about this supressed anger at slimming clubs, ha-ha!

C x

Yeahhhh....my first swag at WW was in 1987 and, I think, back then it wasn't quite the industry it is now.  I dunno.  Perhaps I was young and naive.  At any rate, it's quite the industry now and one that really doesn't care about me personally.  So (personally) I need to look out for myself.

Today I've started down the Whole30  path again.  I could say "reset" and be right but that kind of thinking I think is really dismissive of the efforts I've put in so far.  I won't get cute and say it's Day Umpteen or what not.  Fact of the matter is, I'll buy the 30 day thing as a principle and I'm going to keep my efforts going toward a full 30 days of completely compliant choices but I'm not going to reset if I find a piece of corn in my morning mouth rinse.    That's a whole other kind of "nuts".  With all due respect of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived