What do you do with coconut milk?

leahcarn

Have you tried making coconut cream?    it takes some practice and patience but is lovely with fruit, especially berries.   

This recipe is a bit more complex, but the good directions on making the cream are all there.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/07/04/red-white-blue-bowl/   (Red, white and blue can be for a New Zealand holiday as well, right?)

I made a batch and saved it in the refrigerator for 3 days and it was fine.      

I poured about 1/3 cup into silicone cupcake liners and froze it. Then I take one out as needed and mostly use it for my version of sunshine sauce, pad Thai. I like sauted broccoli, peppers, snow peas, carrots, cabbage slaw, chicken and sunshine sauce -yum! I make just one serving at a time so the coconut milk lasts longer being in the freezer.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Real coconut milk?  Not the light kind?  If its real, its supper yummy.  I'd have a hard time not using it up :)

My husband and I usually open a can and pour it into a glass jar to store in the fridge (if you bought good stuff it will harden up in the fridge and may even be scoopable!).  Goes bad pretty quick - 3 days max usually.  We use it mostly on fruit.  I love it on frozen mangos.  He uses it on frozen mixed berries.  Its good for stirring into mashed sweet potato with ginger too (just a bit - maybe a tbsp per fist size potato).   You can also add it to scrambled eggs to make them a little creamier.  To use up the whole can a curry is a good dish to make - I buy Thai Kitchen curry spice mixes (99% sure they are compliant but don't have one here to check) and then add meat and veggies.  

* soak your chicken livers instead of regular milk

* add it to bulletproof coffee (made with ghee or coconut oil)

* add to black coffee or tea

* thai curries

* indian curries

* malaysian curries

* soups

* (not for Whole30) mix with frozen berries for a kind of instant-icecream

For more fat:

* mayo

* animal fats - duck, goose, chicken, bacon, beef etc

* avocado

* olive oil

* egg yolks

Add to mashed sweet potatoes, along with some cinnamon, nutmeg, clove.  Delicious accompaniment to many roast poultry or pork dishes.  Adds a wonderful lusciousness  which really enhances the deep earthy flavor of the sweet potatoes.  Works well in other "mashes" made from winter squashes or even cauliflower.

Archived