Ingredients in coconut milk...

Susanrenee

• Moderators

The sodium metabisulphite E223 makes this brand NOT okay for a Whole30 - sulphites are always out. I find that about half of the 4-6 varieties of coconut milk I see in stores are okay. Most have guar gum, which is okay. You should be able to find some varieties without all the sciencey sounding ingredients.

Yes!

Look for Thai Kitchen brand or Aroy-D (my preffered brand of choice).  I think Native Forest is good and Whole foods (if you have one nearby) brand 365 is good to go as well.  Some people have luck buying it in cases on amazon as well.

Please note that guar gum is acceptable while doing a whole 30.  But all of the other items mentioned above are not.

Thai Kitchen does contain guar gum, but Arroy-D does not.

Utilmately you are looking for a minimum of - coconut milk, water, guar gum.

Susan, if you can get your hands on some plain shredded coconut, a blender, some containers and some free time (I appreciate that not everyone has all of these at once!), you can make your own.

Supermarkets sell shredded coconut it in small amounts if you can brave the baking aisle. Also, Holland and Barrett sells it in decent sized bags or any shop with a good range of Asian groceries.

http://wellnessmama.com/2447/homemade-coconut-milk/

First-timer, first post: I bought a compliant can of (expensive) organic coconut milk and used a small amount to top some baked haddock. Yum! But now I see the can says to refrigerate and use within 4 days. What are some ways I can use it quickly? Or ... will it freeze?

Archived