Omelette advice

Boolz

I'm new to Whole 30, just starting day 3 and just hit my first food "problem":

My go-to breakfast is an omelette, usually just spinach, onion, egg and cheese. Sometimes spiced up with salsa, sometimes different veggies, but otherwise just those ingredient. I thought it'd be no big deal to leave out the cheese, but wow! I could barely choke it down without gagging. I don't use much cheese, but obviously it was adding/masking something I counted on. It's weird, because I do other veggie dishes and other egg dishes without cheese with no problem.

Any ideas for something to add to give it a cheese factor? I think it's the taste more than the texture that is the problem.

I knew dairy would be the thing I missed most, but really it's just this one dish - I'm not really missing the lattes etc at all. Veggie omelette is otherwise such a good breakfast - I don't want to have to gag it down.

Why not forget omelettes for awhile...removing your desire for a swapped out version of cheese?  That will nip it in the bud.   

I've been eating my eggs separately with vegetables on the side.  I haven't had an omelette in many moons.

Sometimes we have to break our patterns by creating new ones.

• Moderators

Don't look for a cheese substitute! 

You don't mention any spices. If you are cooking without salt and other spices, the cheese may have been supplying the flavor. If that is the case, there is an easy fix. Add salt, garlic powder, some cayenne pepper, and lots of ground turmeric. The turmeric adds a flavor to eggs that I really like and would miss if I were not using it. 

Great ideas, everyone. Thanks! I'll try them all. The suggestions of prosciutto and other meats made a lightbulb go n for me: in the past, I've not liked meat in omelettes, but then, I rarely like meat with cheese (at least not cooked together hot). So, without the cheese, maybe the meat will taste good. Worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife likes cheese in omelettes, and also likes her scrambled eggs soft.  I found that by leaving a little undercooked egg at the center an omelette with no other source of goo, it becomes not packing material. So many people eat raw yolks, so we don't worry about wet eggs when they're weeks to their expiration date.

It doesn't offer the same saltiness, but some avocado on the side will give you the creaminess you might be missing. With some salsa, and as someone else suggested, some great spices (smoked paprika!), you might enjoy it more.

Archived