September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

I'm bloated too...which is always lovely! But it'll pass I'm sure and as I'm covered in paint after painting my floor and forgetting to wipe the wet paint off everywhere but my hands I'm not too presentable just now anyhoo ;) I even have it on my nose...why???

I'm thinking of doing more than 30 days this time. Or more likely two back to back whole30s with a tiny break for one of my best friend's 40th birthday party inbetween where I may have a g&t or 2 ;) It is certainly easier this time around and my arthritic body and rules loving aspergers mind kind of like whole30 now!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can relate, jordanbrook.

Generally, I have felt worse this first week than I had before I started.  My moods have been all over the place (mostly much worse) and I have gotten bad headaches 3/7 days.  And especially with my mood being so low, I have considered throwing in the towel.  

It has helped me to look at my goals again.  And the timeline.  I went in thinking that things would be mostly challenging until Day 16 based on the timeline, hahah.  And for all the doubt I have there is still a part of me that is hopeful.  I promised myself 30 days.  So I might as well do the whole 30 days.  And maybe the adverse effects right now are telling me how much my body really needed this change.

Try to be patient.  I am right there with you. 

So I made it through the weekend but it was hard.  I have never actually succeeded at the template but I have not gone off the diet either so my feeling is that I am human and I do what I can.  I watched friends drink, my kids and husband eat dinners I couldn't eat (their friends were over I couldn't make another kid eat my food) and everyone have apple pie and ice cream.  I did it though.  

Since I didn't get to work until 9:15 and had a 10am meeting breakfast is a banana with fresh almond butter, lunch is curry broccoli soup with left over korean short ribs.  Dinner - I just don't know - maybe a piece of salmon and veggies?  I have not been as good with the vegetables but I have tried.

One of the hardest thing for me is I feel anti-social.  I can't eat with people and I am declining invitations and dreading the holidays and open school nights.  But I feel much better.

HI booksandcoffee!

I started the 8th  also.  This is my first go at it, and I already am looking forward to doing my next 30 "better".  I didn't plan ahead and this last week has been primarily my proteins and fats on top of a pile of greens. Uh, not doing this for 30 days, that's for sure! I've been reading lots of recipes on here, am excited to try some.

I think I've been following the food template, but like many, I'm over thinking it and have got myself confused.  I need clarification on the fats. The list is clear, I just don't understand if I choose 1 per meal?   I noticed on some folks posts, they mention more than one fat in the meal they had.  Are they splitting up the fat portions per meal to allow for a variety?  

thanks for sharing, I really enjoy the inspiring, supportive posts on this forum. 

• Administrators

I made it successfully through the weekend also.  My plan going in was to keep the same meal times as during the work week and I think that was a big key to it. 

I also realized that this is the first weekend in....well.....maybe forever, that I have not had alcohol, a treat (sweet) or potato chips.  First. Time. Ever.  And I didn't die!  Or kill anyone!  I'm going to call that a huge win!

I posted my Week One Recap on my blog (link in my signature below).....but one of the things that I noticed BIG TIME is how often I had been putting food or drink in my mouth that was not fuel or nutrition related!

Happy Week Two, peeps!

Oof.  Today was rougher than I thought it would be.  I read the timeline online and expected to start feeling bad tomorrow on Day 2.  But I started getting a headache around 11am (even before my second meal.)  And that headache stayed pretty much all day.  And then my throat started to hurt about an hour later.  I also wasn't expecting a sore throat and I am not sure how related it is to the Whole30.  Either way, it sucks.

I started my crock pot for some comfort Whole30 friendly soup for tomorrow.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Hi Kristinmarta, I felt crappy day 3, but am better now.  I had cold symptoms coming on, and felt discouraged, but thankfully they didn't stick around!  Hope you're feeling better today, day 8!

I'm really glad to hear others feeling bloated (well not glad for you, but glad I'm not alone!!).  I've also had the runs (sorry tmi).  Anyone else?  

I'm really struggling to eat so much meat as well.  I was a vegetarian for nearly 8 years before I had my twins 2 years ago.  So in the past 2 years I've been eating meat 3-4x a week MAX.  I am enjoying my meals and they taste good, but the thought of eating the meat is really hard for me.  I don't want it.  Same with eggs, even though I am used to eating eggs nearly every morning for breakfast, the thought of it doesn't appeal to me right now.  I know making the plate is part of the whole 30, but if I skip meat a few times and just eat more root or filling vegetables and/or more fat am I breaking the challenge?  Even just one meal off with no animal protein every 2 days or so feels like it would help.  

Anyone have any related experience or thoughts on this for me?  Thanks. 

And about the cacao beans - do you grind them like coffee and still brew it like coffee?  Have others tried this and liked it as well?  

Britishgal - that's a tough one. Can you fake a stomach ache and say you'll bring it home to eat when you feel better "later"? Good luck!

Jordanbrook - I second what laxmom63 said about the coconut milk. The only type I've found that doesn't have carrenagan in it is from the cans. That is something that I stock up on from Trader Joe's if you have one close by!

Made it through the weekend as well and looking forward to changes hopefully coming soon. Can't say I've seen a whole lot of progress, but I also feel a lot better in the first 8 days than I did on my first whole30. Maybe there is something to not going back to eating all the junk and your body feels better sooner!

According to the timeline, Day 10 is when most people want to quit. I'm committing to getting past day 10 - who else is with me??  :)

Hi guys! I'm feeling discouraged at not having seen any results, really.  No difference in skin or weight (other than the horrible bloating most of the time) and I don't have bad cravings, but I still think about how sad I am that I can't have bread, wine or cheese.  I'm still giving it my all until day 30, but I was hoping for some small signs that this is somehow working for me and feeling really down that is isn't so far.  I know one week is a short time to ask for changes, but I didn't feel like it was unrealistic to expect SOMETHING when most other people seem to be experiencing them.  I have obeyed the letter and spirit of the plan perfectly, so I don't know what else to do.  I go to the gym for cardio five days a week and on three of those days I also have a personal trainer.  Still - nothing.  I'm feeling hopeless and sad right now.  Need some kind of renewed belief in this plan as I'm feeling like it's everything else I've tried over the past couple decades.

On a separate - more practical - note, I've been cooking a lot with coconut milk, but I've never used canned coconut milk before.  Am I supposed to use the watery stuff or just the cream in recipes that call for coconut milk?  And can I use the watery stuff for anything??

Don't feel discouraged jordanbrook.  Remember all our bodies are different and what ever changes are happening in others, don't have to happen in yours. I know the feeling of trying so many food plans and exercise regimes. This one is different for me because I'm addressing my eating habits, as the philosophy for this program seems to focus on.  With that thought in mind, I'm looking at this differently than other food plans that I was primarily doing to loose wt., not change my life.  I don't know if these 30 days will change my life, but I'm sure willing to give it a go!  Really, how could less sugar and preservatives NOT be good for you?  ;)  On a different note, I wanted to share that I've been traveling the last few days, and eating out. It was much less difficult to ask details about the foods prep. and make special requests than I anticipated. If I went off program, I wasn't aware. 

I hope you're less discouraged!

Britishgal - that's a tough one. Can you fake a stomach ache and say you'll bring it home to eat when you feel better "later"? Good luck!

Jordanbrook - I second what laxmom63 said about the coconut milk. The only type I've found that doesn't have carrenagan in it is from the cans. That is something that I stock up on from Trader Joe's if you have one close by!

Made it through the weekend as well and looking forward to changes hopefully coming soon. Can't say I've seen a whole lot of progress, but I also feel a lot better in the first 8 days than I did on my first whole30. Maybe there is something to not going back to eating all the junk and your body feels better sooner!

According to the timeline, Day 10 is when most people want to quit. I'm committing to getting past day 10 - who else is with me??  :)

Jillp- I'm late to joining the forum, but started on the 8th also.  Am breaking my old pattern of being independent and then getting in trouble down the road for lack of support.  I haven't had any cravings this last week, so am interested/anxious what this week will bring.....ack!  I'm for sure committed to getting thru all 30 days, so Heck Yeh to day 10!! 

Interesting about Day 10 being a day people want to quit.  I've loved this so far (except for the hard to eat so much meat part), but today is Day 10 for me (I started Sept 6), and I had a crappy sleep last night b/c of sick kids and I just feel like not doing this today.  I am doing it and I've committed to 60 days actually, but today is the first day I feel like not doing it.  

I can TOTALLY see people quitting around day 10-14.  I was telling my husband last night that I currently cannot abide any of my breakfast options.  Eggs are not my favorite under the best of circumstances.  The thought of a salad at 6:30 am is just abhorrent to me.  I've been getting by on sweet potatoes but those are getting old too. 

I'm committed to doing this but I do understand the fatigue. 

PuffinsMuffins - I don't love eggs either.  Generally, one egg is all I can take, so that's not my best option for mornings.  I don't like or normally eat breakfast so that's been the hardest part for me.  I made the frittata muffins from NomNom Paleo and they're great, but they don't have nearly enough veggies to be a round meal and probably only have an egg or MAYBE two in them, so I know my breakfasts are lacking unless I add some carrots or something in.  So, I totally understand.  

I've been gayly ignoring the fact it's breakfast and just looking at it as a meal, usually leftovers, this morning leftover roast and potatoes with veg. I love eggs but every morning is just too much and my son loves omelettes for tea so I switch it up ;)

My issue is not eating meat as such but having to force myself to eat anything at all a lot of the time. When I was younger I could forget to eat for a couple of days at a time without realising and I seem to be back to that now to be honest!

I may tell him that Nanna really wants to try his banana bread and I promised to save it for her ;)

I'm planning on grocery shopping in the next couple of days and am overwhelmed with all the recipes and ideas.  I want to get out of my rut of my veggies having to be green leafy. My only concern with roasted veggies, they are FWOB for me.  I see people excited potatoes are on the plan now, but honestly, I could make baked fries and eat the whole pan in one sitting.  With fall coming on(yes it really is!) I know a lot of the root veggies are in season.  I do like sweet potatoes, but can't have that be the only roasted veggie I eat!  

I'm rambling on here a little, this is my first day sharing on the blog, as I mentioned in a reply to Jillp, this is one of my attempts to break old patterns by using a support forum and I'm really liking the vibe here.  Everyone is supportive and encouraging and I'm looking forward to using this for the 30 days.  I already have in mind to do more than 30 days.  I feel so much better, I can't imagine going back to eating the crap I ate before, but guess what, I've said that before and it wanes with time.

I do think the philosophy of this program is resonating with me in a way other programs have not. The majority of  the poor eating habits I've had were driven by cravings, and I'm seeing this as a chance to break that cycle.  

Happy day 8 to all!   I'm off to take a nap.....ZZZzzzzZZ

I'm planning on grocery shopping in the next couple of days and am overwhelmed with all the recipes and ideas.  I want to get out of my rut of my veggies having to be green leafy. My only concern with roasted veggies, they are FWOB for me.  I see people excited potatoes are on the plan now, but honestly, I could make baked fries and eat the whole pan in one sitting.  With fall coming on(yes it really is!) I know a lot of the root veggies are in season.  I do like sweet potatoes, but can't have that be the only roasted veggie I eat!  

I'm rambling on here a little, this is my first day sharing on the blog, as I mentioned in a reply to Jillp, this is one of my attempts to break old patterns by using a support forum and I'm really liking the vibe here.  Everyone is supportive and encouraging and I'm looking forward to using this for the 30 days.  I already have in mind to do more than 30 days.  I feel so much better, I can't imagine going back to eating the crap I ate before, but guess what, I've said that before and it wanes with time.

I do think the philosophy of this program is resonating with me in a way other programs have not. The majority of  the poor eating habits I've had were driven by cravings, and I'm seeing this as a chance to break that cycle.  

Happy day 8 to all!   I'm off to take a nap.....ZZZzzzzZZ   

Well, I can't seem to figure out how to delete this duplicate post.....sorry!

^_^

• Administrators

Fgermain ~ what about skipping or limiting the potatoes (white and sweet) in favour of roasted carrots, roasted beets, roasted butternut squash?  You can roast asparagus or green beans also.  How about thinly slicing (or shredding) cabbage and sautéing that in some fat along with some sliced carrot, chopped bell peppers and some seasonings? That makes a lovely side dish.  Or my current favourite, thinly slice one sweet onion, one fennel bulb (not the leafy part) and one granny smith apple.  Sautee in some fat with some fresh thyme, salt and pepper.  Like a warm fennel-apple slaw, it is absolutely delicious as a side (or topping) to pork...we had it beside grilled salmon last night.

The Well Fed cookbooks have some awesome veggie recipes in them.  Like coconut almond green beans...SO delicious!

Fgermain ~ what about skipping or limiting the potatoes (white and sweet) in favour of roasted carrots, roasted beets, roasted butternut squash?  You can roast asparagus or green beans also.  How about thinly slicing (or shredding) cabbage and sautéing that in some fat along with some sliced carrot, chopped bell peppers and some seasonings? That makes a lovely side dish.  Or my current favourite, thinly slice one sweet onion, one fennel bulb (not the leafy part) and one granny smith apple.  Sautee in some fat with some fresh thyme, salt and pepper.  Like a warm fennel-apple slaw, it is absolutely delicious as a side (or topping) to pork...we had it beside grilled salmon last night.

The Well Fed cookbooks have some awesome veggie recipes in them.  Like coconut almond green beans...SO delicious!

ladyshanny-the fennel one sounds good! I like that this has opened up my world to so many new foods.  

Whole30 continues! Yay us! We're doing it! I love eating fresh, good-for-me foods and knowing that I'm nourishing my body!

Breakfast: coffee with coconut milk, 2 eggs scrambled with carnitas, apple, and almond butter. No veggies. Whoops.

Lunch: chocolate chili and monkey salad. Had a few sugar snap peas but not very many.

Dinner: a small helping of chocolate chili and a baked sweet potato.

Apparently, I need to go to the grocery store for some veggies to fill my plate... The fabulous thing is that I'm no longer hungry between meals.

I'm really glad to hear others feeling bloated (well not glad for you, but glad I'm not alone!!).  I've also had the runs (sorry tmi).  Anyone else?  

I'm really struggling to eat so much meat as well.  I was a vegetarian for nearly 8 years before I had my twins 2 years ago.  So in the past 2 years I've been eating meat 3-4x a week MAX.  I am enjoying my meals and they taste good, but the thought of eating the meat is really hard for me.  I don't want it.  Same with eggs, even though I am used to eating eggs nearly every morning for breakfast, the thought of it doesn't appeal to me right now.  I know making the plate is part of the whole 30, but if I skip meat a few times and just eat more root or filling vegetables and/or more fat am I breaking the challenge?  Even just one meal off with no animal protein every 2 days or so feels like it would help.  

Anyone have any related experience or thoughts on this for me?  Thanks. 

And about the cacao beans - do you grind them like coffee and still brew it like coffee?  Have others tried this and liked it as well?  

Hi Clairezip! 

I don't think that not eating meat at every meal is breaking the challenge. I do think it is a suggestion (rather enforced suggestion) and following most of or all of the suggestions is likely to yield the best results. So I guess a plate that does not follow the template is not exactly a "whole 30" plate, but it is still approved. Proteins also keep you going from one meal to the next. I skip protein for breakfast when I oversleep (has been known to happen!), but I definitely feel it later in the day, feel less energy and get hungry before lunchtime, and have found that I feel best when I stick to the template as much as possible. Of course do what feels good for you and your body :)

Hi everyone! I've missed this forum! Work is crazy as usual, 12 to 13h work days which leave me so tired and with little energy to cook. Tomorrow I must go back grocery shopping and restock, and replan for the week! Last week I bought compliant spicy chicken sausage from whole foods which has been a wonderful addition to several of my meals, but tonight all I managed to eat was sausages and spinach. I have also been feeling bloated and low energy, but also proud that I am doing something for myself again. 

So grateful to have you all to stick this out with. The forum is now part of my motivation. 

fgermain: regarding the fats, the general suggestion is to include AT LEAST one of those servings of fats with each meal. If you are hungry soon after, you may need to add more fats and proteins to your meals to cruise smoothly from one to the next. The idea is to not do LESS than the recommended fat. So I tend to do either an avocado (I can never just eat half of one! so delicious), or olive oil or ghee, if it is going on a baked sweet potato :). Hope this helps! 

Archived