September 8th, anyone?

booksandcoffee

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried coconut water today. NOT A FAN! Blech. Maybe it's better over ice? Unfortunately I bought a 12 pack from Costco. Today has been hard. Have been running around for the last 8 hours. Finally have a moment to sit down and surf while dinner is cooking. I am cranky today but that's because I haven't eaten properly. All on plan, just not in the right proportions.

I second the request for the PF Chang chicken wrap recipe. Sounds delicious!

Kerbi - I made a roasted pumpkin that would be a great addition to a holiday meal.  You saute compliant chopped up bacon in a frying pan, meanwhile gut a small/medium pumkin (from the top as if you were doing a jack o lantern).  Then chop up 3 or 4 apples or whatever will fit inside, stir the apples with a few (3 or 4?) chopped dates, the chopped up bacon and it's fat plus a generous amount of salt, pepper and cinnamon.  Roast for 1 hour 15.  (put the pumkin in something like a roaster because the shell will become very soft.  It was amazing - everyone in our family loved it.  I used the leftover pumpkin for a pumpkin curry.   And I agree Kerbi - avoiding all the junkfood SHOULD be resulting in looser pants - hopefully soon for all of us.  Either way, it's making us healthier inside, right? 

Can anyone share with me the chicken/apple mix to go inside lettuce wraps and also the PF Chang chicken recipe too?  

I have had some bison ribs in my freezer since January that I didn't know what to do with, after our roast chicken is eaten up I'll try the nomnom recipe, thank you!! 

Britishgal I also always feel okay in the morning and throughout the day feel more and more bloated.  

Anyone having some rashes?  I had a rash on my arm again last night and a bit on my forehead.. . is this detox?  

clairezip-I have a rash that has flared up on my forehead also. I'm interested to see what happens as our bodies react to our diet change. I have Protopic ointment that helps. You may want to check with a dermatologist?

lazmom63-no worries on the snacking, it's not against the rules, just not highly recommended.  I would suggest adding protein when snacking, I remember reading that the snacks should be as close to the template as possible.  You may want to try adding leafy greens to meals, that usually fills me up, keeps me "regular" and holds me over. Don't be discouraged!  This is my first W30 also, and I'm learning as I go.  I'm actually planning to continue after day 30, because I've eaten non compliant foods, unintentionally, but still feel the need to give it another go. 

I hate to say I'm still not bloated..sorry ladies!   But if it's not TMI, I'm a little opposite, so may cut back on the greens, besides, don't want to get burnt out on them either.  

Almost done with day 10  woo-hoo!  (seattle,Wa time it's 4:30p)

• Administrators

Daffodil - what brand did you find?  I find that coconut water is different across the brands...some are delicious and some are downright disgusting.  Our Costco sells SunTropic and I find that one to be "okay" but not awesome.  Blue Monkey is my favourite brand. 

Hi all,

I am a Sept. 7th starter, but I have been lurking here a little - it has been really helpful, hope you don't mind!

Not at all Heather!  this is a great group, share what you're comfortable with.  It's nice to hear others struggles, (not nice they are struggling),but nice to know it's part of the changes and everyone is so supportive and offers good advice.  Welcome!

Daffodil - what brand did you find?  I find that coconut water is different across the brands...some are delicious and some are downright disgusting.  Our Costco sells SunTropic and I find that one to be "okay" but not awesome.  Blue Monkey is my favourite brand.

It's the Kirkland (Costco) brand. Their stuff is usually good but this wasn't.

fgermain - glad to hear I'm not alone with the rash.  Keep me posted on yours!  Also - though I am bloated as in my stomach feels poofed out and full - I also am having the runs.  tmi?  

On a positive note, an acquaintance of mine that I see roughly once a week saw me today and told me I look so good, healthy and rested.  She didn't know I was doing any thing differently - so that made me feel good!!!  

Hi all,

Home from my event and I breezed through without problems. I ate lunch and an early dinner right before going, so I was not hungry. The waiters were passing sparkling water as well as wine and champagne, so it was actually very easy! I even managed to sneak out a little early so I am about to take a bubble bath before bed.

It is interesting others are getting rashes. I had one pop up on my back. It was itchy and then it scabbed over. That almost certainly is TMI but I have never gotten a rash like that before. It is not in a spot that would come into contact with poison ivy or really any irritants, so I was a bit baffled by it.

Clairezip, you asked about the paleo PF Chang's lettuce wrap recipe. Here it is: http://cavegirlcuisine.com/2012/06/06/p-f-paleo-chicken-lettuce-wraps/. I go ahead and add extra veggies (finely chopped green beans and butternut squash last time) and omit the honey to make it more Whole30 friendly. Still tastes great!

Hey guys!

I've been trying so hard to keep up with the posts! These days have been pretty terrible. I know this is "not hard" but it's freakin hard! Mostly working in over my head and deadlines and thinking that I will have time to plan. And my house is me and my cat (my husband lives in another city :( ). The last 2 days I have quite literally survived on tuna, spinach, ground beef, apples and bananas. Today I finally made it to whole foods and now have chocolate chili on the pot! First time making it, but you all made it sound irresistible.

Welcome to all our new ones and welcome back to those who took a technology break and thank you guys for the support.

I also have been getting really random mild rashes. They do not itch, just a blotchy red spot on my leg and another one on my arm. I don't usually get this! Meanwhile my husband is breezing through his whole30 (and it was my idea!) he feels great and full of energy and loves the food. No cravings whatsoever. Life is not very fair, is it ;)

Anyways, gonna watch my pot simmer and read the rest of the posts!

Day 10!!!

Breakfast: Aidell's chicken apple sausages with sauerkraut and coffee with coconut milk. I did manage to have a few black olives and a banana before I started rounding with my doctor this morning.

Lunch: a baked potato smothered in chocolate chili, a few more olives and an apple with Apple butter.

Dinner: deconstructed tacos consisting of butter lettuce, compliant hamburger taco meat, avocado, pico de gallo, and Valentina hot sauce.

I managed to get all my water in and I have my game plan for tomorrow! Yay me!

To those of you making the chocolate chili... The second time I made it I used half ground beef and half spicy Italian sausage and also added in 2 jalapeño peppers to give it some heat and it is super delicious. I will definitely be making that again and again!

So proud of my whole 30 friends who aren't feeling well and continue to press on! You're all rockstars and we all owe it to ourselves to be happy and healthy!

One third done, everyone!

It still feels like a struggle to cook so much & do so many dishes.  It's also hard for me to plan meals and prepare in advance.  I try prepping/cooking on the weekend but having every meal figured out also feels stifling.

I am sick of tuna salad and egg salad for lunch.  Does anyone have any go-to packable lunch ideas that don't take too much prep?  Or any other quick and easy go-tos?  The quicker and easier the better.

I made the coconut almond green beans from The Clothes Make the Girl http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/03/14/coconut-almond-green-beans/

Sooo good!  I added pre-cooked ground beef and topped with a fried egg. 

Not feeling that different physically or emotionally.  I still feel pretty tired and I am having headaches nearly every day.  Maybe it's the heat, too?  

On to Day 11.

Ok it's day 11!

Incredibibly hard day yesterday, truly horrid, but I didn't think once of stopping for which I'm quite proud.

This morning I really had to force food down myself...it was almost as if I'd become scared of it and seriously would rather have been hungry.

I'm hoping for a better day today but I'm still holding my breath waiting to swell up like a balloon

Morning, everyone.  I hope you are all having a good day 11 so far.  This is the second of the two "quitting days" apparently, so stay strong!

Without sounding completely obnoxious, I have to say that this challenge has not been as hard as I thought it would be. I am an epic failure at dieting.  I think restricting sugar and other junk just doesn't work for me.  I end up cheating and resentful the whole time.  Cutting sugar and junk out entirely has been far easier in a strange way.  I guess I am slaying the sugar dragon.

Today, for breakfast, I has a small piece of steak, two eggs, a smallish portion of homemade hashbrowns made with ghee and some tomatoes.

For lunch, I have "deconstructed samosas" with lettuce to wrap it in.

Tonight, when I get home, I am going to make the famous cocoa chili. 

Then, I am going to fold the WORLD'S LARGEST BACKLOG OF LAUNDRY which we have not had time to do, because we are always either cooking or cleaning the kitchen.

In rash related news (for those of us who are enjoying those) I just broke out in hives all over my hands.  I hope that passes soon.

I hit the snooze button this morning, my underwear feel tight and I have gurgly guts. :)

This is my second Whole30, and I guess no two are the same,  like no two pregnancies are the same, but I felt better at this point last time.  Last time I did autoimmune protocol and it was HARD but I am thinking maybe I should consider starting that again.  I have been enjoying eggplant SO much. waah

On a positive note, I am constantly amazed at how satiated the template is keeping me.  Mentally I had myself psyched into thinking that I needed that pile of grains/carbs on my plate to fill me up.

Good morning!

Breakfast still is a challenge - I would have loved my finally-found nitrate free sugar free bacon and eggs but alas, the kids needed to go to school and I needed to go to work so here I am eggless and baconless.  I guess banana and almond butter.

Lunch is short rib meat, shredded Brussel sprouts with bacon and a sweet potato.  Feel slightly bloated but better.  I've honestly been feel physically better since my awful day on Tues and sleeping like the dead.

clairezip - thank you so much for the recipe and it sounds delicious and as you can see I do love bacon but for this one meal pork will be out (Rosh Hashana).  I will try to adapt my brisket recipe (someone is bringing the other brisket) and make a whole30 friendly veggie side (baked butternut squash?), salad and let other people deal with dessert.

I know this is a quit day but I'm not feelin' it.  Next week will be the challenge for me!

OK-running late this AM-so I had an Apple Cinnamon RX bar with coffee/ghee&coconut milk for breakfast. It's 10:40am and I'm not hungry at all. Is this a bad breakfast solution? It's compliant & convenient - the 2 most important words since I started...

I'm going to look up that chocolate chili-sounds like a winner.

Ventre123 -  is the coffee ghee coconut milk like bulletproof coffee? Is anyone else doing bulletproof coffee? I keep hearing about it. Butter and coffee together sounds pretty wild, I can't imagine it. I'm curious!

Daffodil - the only coconut water I've ever had that was AMAZING is the fresh coconut water from a young thai coconut. Not from a bottle. They have to pasteurize it to preserve it, so it kills the flavor entirely. Whole Foods and lots of other markets sell the actual coconut. Many are already cracked open, or you can watch a video on now to open easily on youtube. It's pretty easy to open (ok with practice!) if you follow the "easy open" videos. Throw a straw in and enjoy cold. It's amazing.  I hate the jarred stuff, I can't drink it.

puffinsmuffins - where did the deconstructed samosa recipe come from? That sounds awesome! I love Indian food!!  I can't wait to try everyone's recipes, I'm so glad people are posting. I'm pretty sick of my cooking. I seem to have plane chicken breast with the same seasoning and a salad or sautéed greens most nights. Boring!  

I have a bunch of events this weekend, but this time I'm not at all stressing about the food and drinks available. I've oddly lost interest in anything that doesn't suit this diet. I was at a book club meeting last night with food and wine. I didn't even glance at the food options. And the wine on people's breath smelled to me like sadness and regret, rather than enticing sweet, smokey, oak-aged fermented vines. What's happening to me?! LOL.

One of my favorite things about being more than a third of the way through, is the morning energy. I get up earlier, have more energy, and am finally able to get up and exercise before work!

This is going to be my first week doing longer runs where I'll probably bring a larabar. I'm hoping the sugar in that doesn't send me over the top. I am a total sugar-junkie. I'm the "can't eat just one" type, so while I need the portable fuel, I'm hoping this won't be a diet destroyer for me.

Anyone have any other portable running or exercise fuel they use that isn't super sugary? I'd love some advice~

Have a great day, everyone!  

• Administrators

Haha, LibbyHunter, "the wine on people's breath smelled like sadness and regret...", LMAO!  That is awesome.  Also your comment about losing interest in the things that don't suit the plan rings true for me too.  Not so much that I've lost interest in them but that my physiology is completely saturated with the good, the healthy and the nourishing, it doesn't leave any room for anything else.  I'm happy with that!

Kerbi - I must ask - where did you find the nitrate free sugar free bacon?  I have read so many bacon labels that I am ready to give up. 

I finally found the sugar free nitrate free pork breakfast sausage - but I prefer bacon. 

Ventre123 - I am also interested the coffee ghee coconut milk combo.  Can you give a little more info on that?  It has been 13 days since I have had coffee and would really like to try a compliant option.  Have been drinking tea, but would love a cup of joe!  LOL

I have not made the chocolate chili yet, but have twice made Taco meat (with ground turkey and ground chicken).  We have really been enjoying tacos in lettuce leaves.  My daughter and mother have sour cream and cheese with theirs, but I use onions. peppers and avocado instead.  Makes THE BEST taco salad that is filling and delicious.  In the past I have only used the prepared packet seasonings - Never again!  This is so much tastier. 

LibbyHunter - I am also a total sugar junkie, but I have not found the Larabars to trigger any additional need for sugar.  Yes they are VERY sweet, but that and a bottle of water and I am fine for a few hours.  Handy to have on hand, but not something that I am reaching for.  I would rather have a piece of fruit. 

Today is the first time I will go out to a restaurant to eat.  A little nervous about this and the hidden extras that the restaurant puts into foods, but I will ask how the grilled chicken is prepared and request that it is without seasonings and dry grilled.  Just don't trust the seasoning to not have added sugar in it  - since it seams most seasoning blends have added sugar!  No need for it. 

Laxmom- I'm not going to lie - it was a hunt.  I'm not sure where you live - I happen to live in NYC.  I looked in the suburban (westchester) whole foods where I did my Sunday shop before we all started and they did not have it - the NYC one that I went to this week did (I was so excited I bought two packs even though I live only a few blocks away) - I just don't like going there bc it's a madhouse (although I just learned it's open until 11 and so I can send my husband after the kids are asleep).  So I guess each Whole Foods is different - the urban ones seem better.

Libby - Here is the samosa recipe.  I am an indian food junkie and this was nicely seasoned.  One edit I did make was halving the meat and bulking the recipe out with extra vegetables to meet the Whole 30 template.  I added some small diced potatoes and some finely chopped cauliflower.  Then, I made a raita to go on the side with cucumbers, onions, paleo mayo and lime juice.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/57975313761/deconstructed-samosa-spiced-keema

Morning, all.  Still feeling pretty frustrated with the tighter clothes and, for the last two days, the lack of energy.  I'm eating on plan and enjoying all the food.  I drink close to over 100oz water a day, but I'm just exhausted and cranky.

This morning, I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast until 10am (though I did have tea with coconut milk at 7am on my way to work - amazing!)  I had salad with chicken (leftovers) when I did finally get to sit down at my desk, but I was forcing it in.  Sigh.  I'm hoping that the timeline is accurate and that I start feeling more normal tomorrow and really great in the next few days.  It's getting old putting so much time and effort into doing the program exactly to the letter and STILL not liking/seeing results!

Archived