Waffling on switching the kids

LisaLulu

My husband and I are paleo and one of our daughters is gluten free, but the kids are still eating rice, popcorn, peanuts, beans and dairy (hard cheese and yogurt). I didn't want to deny them of any foods that they didn't have trouble digesting, just because I know science has been wrong about things before so I wanted to cover all their bases. The only problem is that they are becoming increasingly more picky and dependent on the starches and eating less vegetables. I feel like if I started denying them the other foods they might eat more veggies. The biggest deterrent to switching at the moment is cost- 4 of us are living on one modest income, we're egg intolerant (which rules out a whole cheap protein source) and those starchy foods are cheap. 

Rice is one of the better grain-based starches, so maybe you could keep that around, and get rid of the beans or something? I don't know that beans offer all that much other than gas to most of us. TMI?

Your best bet will be to start working with them on template portions minus. So, their plate is template protein, a bunch of veggies, and some rice. If they don't want to eat the veggies, they can mix it into the plain rice to make a "stir fry" or whatever. But I'm also the mean person who, if you are hungry after a meal, I make you eat the part of the meal you didn't eat before...

I find that feeding my daughter the things I would prefer her to eat first (ie. veggies and protein) while she is hungry helps her eat more of them.  Once she has finished those things (and is still hungry), then I add the other things (starches.)

I'll dish up my preferred food items and while she's eating that, I'll slowly prepare the starches.  If I serve them all on a plate together, she fills up on the starches and doesn't bother with veggies as much.  Kids seem to really like starches!

I noticed this once when having dinner out with some friends that ordered their kids chocolate milk.  Before the meal arrived, the kids drank a large cup (2 cups+ I would estimate) of chocolate milk.  When my daughter was just drinking water, the parents made a comment about having to get their kids chocolate milk so they can get enough calories in them...since they never finish their dinner.  Once their meal arrived, the kids said they weren't hungry anymore. Not too surprising.

As far as your egg intolerance goes....Have you tried pastured raised eggs...or eggs from chickens not fed soy?  Sometimes what the chickens eat will affect you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 year old and I still let her have some non-paleo items (hard cheese, yogurt, beans and corn mainly).  She ebbs and flows on what she eats.  Last night she told me - actually told me that she's been eating too many sweets and doesn't want dairy anymore because she knows it makes mommy sick.  My point, I think kids (depending on age to a degree) will mimic what you and your husband are doing.  Just keep making good choices, introducing them to good, healthy foods.  Let them see what you make and eat.  I did stop making separate meals for my daughter, she knows it doesn't happen anymore.  I think it just takes a bit more time with little ones.  My daughter goes back and forth with veggies also - for weeks at a time she loves them and will try/eat anything then it stops and she only wants fruit, meat and yogurt.  She went through a bean phase - that's mostly over about a year ago.  Just keep modeling good behavior!

Ugh now she's eating the vegetables and doesn't want meat. I feel bad about their diet until I go to work (teaching) and see the horrific lunches the kids are eating and think well if my 4 year old is bringing rice, kidney beans and veggies for lunch it's a LOT better than the multiple sugar laden packages filling up all the other kids boxes. My jaw seriously drops when I see what 90% or more of them are eating. Every day...

• 3 months later...

food-for-humans-5.jpg

Reason #2: It’s kid-friendly

"Many of you are doing the Whole30 with your family—and by “doing” we mean “dragging them kicking and screaming.” Kids aren’t always psyched to give up their sweets and treats in favor of Brussels and broccoli… but no one knows that better than Michelle Tam.

She shares the story of transitioning her kids to Paleo in the book, and explains how they balance healthy eating with giving them some food freedom. And many of the recipes in Food For Humans are kid-friendly, like frittata muffins, plantain fritters, chicken nuggets, and Big-O bacon burgers… any of which will probably reduce the kicking and screaming. (It’s hard to flail about and whine with plantain fritter in your mouth.)"

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/01/make-food-humans-part-whole30/#sthash.QqaAKJ1W.dpuf

Archived