Too Much Red Meat?

Quick question - - I'm in the middle of my first Whole30 and like most, struggle to find recips, meal ideas, etc..at times.   My "go-to" staple meat has been the grass-fed beef (i.e. ground, steak).   I am trying to incorporate other things like chicken, seafood, turkey, etc..but am wondering still if having too much of the red meat is a bad thing such things such as cholesterol?   Everything I seem to make, seems easiest to use the beef but trying not to go overboard at the same time.   Thank you!!

• Moderators

Here is my considered recommendations for eating healthy:

1. Eat one serving of dark, leafy greens every day
  2. Eat two servings of fermented foods every day
  3. Eat at least three whole eggs every day
  4. Eat oily fish three or four times per week
  5. Eat beef or lamb five days per week
  6. Eat a serving of liver once per week

Here is my considered recommendations for eating healthy:

1. Eat one serving of dark, leafy greens every day
  2. Eat two servings of fermented foods every day
  3. Eat at least three whole eggs every day
  4. Eat oily fish three or four times per week
  5. Eat beef or lamb five days per week
  6. Eat a serving of liver once per week

Tom - what are some of your go-to fermented foods? I haven't been eating any and am curious.

A super quick way to incorporate sardines (without having to eat them straight from the Can - I can't do it! ) is sardine cakes or fritters.

Beat an egg in a bowl

mash in 1 tin sardines

stir in 1Tbs coconut flour and a pinch of salt

Drop big spoonfuls into a med-hot pan with a good amount of coconut oil and cook until just done.

I've also done it w 3 eggs and 2Tbs coconut flour and they were much fluffier and I had leftovers

• Moderators

Frantastic, I usually eat a serving of Bubbies sauerkraut or some kimchi with scrambled eggs at breakfast. I like my eggs hot and my kraut/kimchi cold. I usually drink a bottle of kombucha at lunch. On days when I make salmon or tuna salad, I usually include a fermented Bubble's dill pickle in the salad. 

Quick question - - I'm in the middle of my first Whole30 and like most, struggle to find recips, meal ideas, etc..at times.   My "go-to" staple meat has been the grass-fed beef (i.e. ground, steak).   I am trying to incorporate other things like chicken, seafood, turkey, etc..but am wondering still if having too much of the red meat is a bad thing such things such as cholesterol?   Everything I seem to make, seems easiest to use the beef but trying not to go overboard at the same time.   Thank you!!

Have a look here for recipes:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20737-ingredient-of-the-day-recipe-links-for-each-day-of-whole-30/

As long as your dietary cholesterol doesn't greatly exceed the cholesterol your liver normally produces in response to requests from your cells, your liver will adjust by producing less and causing less effect on serum cholesterol. Every cell in our bodies needs cholesterol, and the liver gladly accepts help.  The math isn't perfect 1:1, and the liver doesn't produce its maximum of 1000mg every day because the cells don't always need that much.  Cell creation and restoration (exercise, injuries) cause cholesterol demand, and cholesterol is depleted from skin cell production of vitamin D due to sun exposure.  Cells are normally replaced causing constant demand.

Guidelines on dietary cholesterol are guesses at the amount the liver needs to produce for typical daily cell maintenance.  As with most population-wide guidance, that's somewhat like saying everyone needs to wear size 10 shoes. 

Archived