Stomach pain and digestive issues after eating

Hi everyone! I'm currently on day 16 of my second Whole30, and it's going great for me. I did a Whole60 over the summer, and after reintroduction, I ate a mostly Paleo diet.

My husband loosely followed my eating, but still ate grains and dairy almost daily. This go around, he is doing Whole30 100% with me and for the last week or so, he has been having major stomach issues after eating. Cramps, pain, diarrhea, nausea, etc. I know stomach problems can be common after a week or so on plan, but I recall them being pretty short-lived, and I remember feeling much better at this point.

Could this still be Whole30 related, or should he go see a doctor? Any remedies for relief? I bought him ginger tea yesterday, but I don't think it has made much difference.

There is a stomach/cold flu combo going through all of the school systems everywhere.   It's been around for weeks.  It's possible he has the stomach flu part.  

Thanks, but we have reason to believe it's food related, as it only starts shortly after eating. :-(

Alrighty then.  I'm not the one to ask/know about toity probs. :D   I have to cover my eyes most of the time or ye ole gag reflex kicks in.  When I get together with my sisters...we set each other off just by bringing it up.  Hope he recovers soon.   

• Moderators

Well, it could be a transitional thing as his gut heals or it could be that he's eating something that he can't tolerate.

What has he been eating that is causing the symptoms? Posting a few days' meals might give us more info that we can work with, and maybe a mod will weight in.

• Moderators

One possibility is that he is having trouble digesting protein and/or fats when eating a higher volume of them. Read through this article on digestive enzymes and see if his experience matches with what is described. Taking digestive enzymes won't hurt and might solve the problem almost immediately. 

http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Hey Nikki, a week after starting Whole 30, I started having similar issues. I had a stomach ache for six straight days. Tom's right about digestive enzymes. I also used probiotics, aloe vera juice, and apple cider vinegar. The remedies took the edge off, but basically it took time getting used to eating so differently before the pain subsided. Rooting for you both!

• 1 month later...

Just curious if his stomach aches subsided because I am in a similar boat. I ate very healthy before, but had grains and yogurt daily, and didn't have these stomach issues until now. Started around day 10 for me and I'm on day 25 and they've just gotten worse.

Archived