Cooking fails

Annabelle15

I'm on day 8 of my second whole 30 and just had the worst food ever. And it's all my fault. I attempted to sautee carrots and they burned. I forgot I had chicken in the oven and it also burned. I figured it was still edible, so I brought it for lunch. NO! It was awful. Like chewing shoes.

This is primarily a rant, but should I get rid of my non stick pans? They're not flaking, I just find that things cook waaay differently in them. I'm figuring because science.

• Administrators

I've started cooking in ceramic fry pans....much less toxic than non-stick, they still have an amazingly non-stick finish (but not that Teflon crap) and they seem to cook the food nicer...crispier, quicker, more evenly.

I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond but I'm starting to see them everywhere now!

>  I just find that things cook waaay differently in them.

Whatever helps you get the most satisfying results is what I'd stick with.  In theory I've love to use my cast iron for everything, but I end up coming back to the non-stick pan when I want to make eggs, or the saute pan when I cook tomato-based stuff, etc.

I use cast iron (Finex, Lodge) for most things - including breakfast eggs, but it definitely took a while to get them to the point where I was comfortable with touchy food.  Seasoning works, just give it time!

I use my slow cooker and/or enameled Dutch ovens (Le Crueset, Staub) for most of the rest.  I have some All Clad pots and pans that I use when those aren't workable.

What caused the fail?  You're blaming the pans, how does that implicate the evil oven as Ruiner of Chickens?

If you're roasting a chicken, really the only reason it belongs inside a hot box, then this is a good method:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/99591424823/weeknight-roast-chicken#more.  A good instant read can be had for $25 on Amazon.  No need to get the $100 model, I use the $25 chef's sleeve design from Thermoworks.  It is my Savior of All Things Chicken-y.

What'd you saute the carrots in?  How were they cut?  Together we can fix your carrots.

For the dutch oven, I've done roasted meat / veg in it (in the oven).  I also tend to do curries and other sauce-heavy dishes in them on the stove top, because the sauce doesn't burn to the bottom (or if it does, it's very obviously my fault), and I just don't trust my cast iron for things with that much sauce.

Keep at the seasoning - season after _every_ use (I clean it, and then put a little oil in mine and leave it on very low heat on the stovetop until the oil looks dry), and it will get better!

What caused the fail? You're blaming the pans, how does that implicate the evil oven as Ruiner of Chickens?

If you're roasting a chicken, really the only reason it belongs inside a hot box, then this is a good method: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/99591424823/weeknight-roast-chicken#more. A good instant read can be had for $25 on Amazon. No need to get the $100 model, I use the $25 chef's sleeve design from Thermoworks. It is my Savior of All Things Chicken-y.

What'd you saute the carrots in? How were they cut? Together we can fix your carrots.

I am the Ruiner of Chickens! It's not the oven or the pans, it's my ineptitude at paying attention and errythang else. Lol! And I'm a bit eh on the pans because I can't seem to have anything work in them unless it's an egg! Today, I feel completely defeated. Thanks for the chicken tips! I will be applying them. As far as the carrots, they were cut all fancy (whatever the angle cut is called) and sauteed in coconut oil.

Carrots can be tricky. 

Setting a good loud timer will help you a lot. 

I usually go one hour at 400 for a medium chicken and its perfect.

I use the dutch oven for roasting and stewing like folks above. 

Also love my ceramic made-in-France fry pan. I bought it and my cast iron grill pan at a swap meet for $5. HUGE value!

• Moderators

You know you can roast a chicken in a crockpot, right? Whatever else it may do, it won't actually burn the chicken. Well, maybe if you try really, really hard you could manage to burn it, but I haven't yet.

There's this recipe for chicken and gravy from nom nom paleo, or you can do something like this where you get both the chicken and the broth. I've heard you can also reuse the chicken bones to make multiple batches of broth -- I'm going to try that this time, since I've got a chicken in the crockpot now and some extra bones in the freezer, and we're coming up to soup weather, so I'll need plenty of broth.

The only thing that I miss about oven-roasted chicken is the crispy chicken skin. It just doesn't do that in the crockpot, at least not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

You know you can roast a chicken in a crockpot, right? Whatever else it may do, it won't actually burn the chicken. Well, maybe if you try really, really hard you could manage to burn it, but I haven't yet.

There's this recipe for chicken and gravy from nom nom paleo, or you can do something like this where you get both the chicken and the broth. I've heard you can also reuse the chicken bones to make multiple batches of broth -- I'm going to try that this time, since I've got a chicken in the crockpot now and some extra bones in the freezer, and we're coming up to soup weather, so I'll need plenty of broth.

The only thing that I miss about oven-roasted chicken is the crispy chicken skin. It just doesn't do that in the crockpot, at least not for me.

I just found this slow cooker recipe for a whole chicken, which I have not made; http://www.paleocupboard.com/slow-cooker-rotisserie-chicken.html

It does mention that (If) you can get the whole bird into a baking dish, you could put it under the broiler for 5-10 minutes to crisp the skin.  It sounds yummy to me!

• Moderators

I just found this slow cooker recipe for a whole chicken, which I have not made; http://www.paleocupboard.com/slow-cooker-rotisserie-chicken.html

It does mention that (If) you can get the whole bird into a baking dish, you could put it under the broiler for 5-10 minutes to crisp the skin.  It sounds yummy to me!

I may have to try the broiler trick next time I do a chicken -- then I'd have the best of both worlds, easy slow cooker chicken, and yummy crispy chicken skin!

Broiling works best if after you take the chicken out of the slow cooker, you butterfly it by removing the back bone then splay the thing out on a sheet pan and scooch the rack one notch closer to the heat.  You get infinitely better results on the leg and thigh skin. 

If you like really crispy, hit it with some arrowroot powder before you put it in to tan.  Just a dusting, and no need to be consistent or fancy about it.  Bird, powder, collide, broil.  Cracklin' good.

Archived