Fat ideas please

EleanorB

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure that this has been covered previously in the forum, but I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas on ways to include fat in my meals? My breakfast today was a mackerel salad and afterwards I was still hungry which got me thinking about my meals and how much fat do they include.  I certainly don't find I'm full for four to five hours, probably closer to two or three.

I am trying to stay away from nuts as they are a food without breaks for me, and if I have a packet in the house, I will definitely have more than the small recommended handful.  I tend to have half an avocado in one of my meals a day, so have that one covered.  However, I don't put dressing on my salad... if I started doing that, would it be enough? I could start adding olives to things.

Tonight, I am having roast chicken breast with vegetables, so clearly need to add some fat there.  Any ideas?

So, does anyone have good ways of adding fat to meals that are naturally low in fat? 

Thanks!

E

You are on the right track monitoring this--fat can make a big difference in satiety and mood. I like avocado and coconut oi/avocado oil mayo, but I'm not above melting a pat of ghee or coconut oil over something or drizzling a finished dish with olive oil.

Mayo mayo mayo!

Homemade olive oil mayo is a great addition when you need more fat. Dollop it on top of a baked sweet potato, mix it in with tuna, chicken, egg or salmon salad, dollop it on crab cakes, use it as a base for salad dressing.  Endless tasty possibilities.

• Administrators

Commercial mayo is disgusting.  Homemade mayo is my addiction!  If you do the Well Fed or ISWF recipe but use a mason jar and a stick/immersion blender, you're done in about 30 seconds.  A recipe of it lasts me about a week.

You can use an entire avocado every day if you want, too!  Saves that second half from going weird and brown if you just eat it right away!  :)

Costco (here, anyway) sells gorgeous compliant "Tassos" brand olives...black kalamata, huge green garlic stuffed ones and then a mixed one with pimento and baby onions. 

Eggs are awesome fat sources when you eat the whole thing.

Sesame oil (watch to make sure it's not cut with soy or canola) drizzled over everything is lovely!  Also other drizzling oils like hazelnut or macadamia or avocado.

I love a "latte" which in my house is a cup of coffee and about half as much volume of coconut milk.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the input. I've successfully made some mayo (the first batch curdled) and am dolloping it on things when I need fat. I've also added olives and started adding a whole avocado instead of half. Any more ideas? Will drizzling oil be enough?? A thumb sized drizzle would be a lot!!

How do I know if I'm eating too much fat?? I don't want to put on weight. My clothes are feeling better but sometimes I feel a bit full/bloated at the end of the day.

Thanks!

There's enough fat in eggs you most likely don't need to add more. But - if it's not holding you over until lunch then add away!

I add fat with coconut - coconut milk and coconut chips. Super easy and I like the flavor. I've also increased my fat by simply buying fattier cuts of meat. My crockpot pot roast the other day was divine :)

Archived