Post-workout meal after running.

levelheadedgirl

I'm just wondering about when I need to eat a post-workout meal. Right now I'm running about 3 miles/5 days a week. Do I need to eat a meal after I run? Or is it unnecessary until I start running more miles? I'm heading into training for a half-marathon and I just want to make sure I'm eating enough. Thanks!

(I already checked through the forums and couldn't find exactly the info I was looking for, but if someone knows of a thread that answers this question, please link it!)

The purpose of the post workout meal is to help with recovery by getting protein to the muscles quickly why they are most ready to feed. I would add it when your runs feel like intense effort. The runs you are describing now should be at an easy tempo. My experience with half marathon training is that most of my runs were easy pace with one speed training effort and one long run effort a week. Those two runs required much more recovery fuel. Do make sure you are not eating starchy vegetable/fruit in the hour before you run to aid with fat adaption. 

• Moderators

I make decisions about whether I need a post-workout meal based upon the stress level of workouts. If I workout easy, I don't bother to add a post-workout meal. If I train hard where I create genuine strain on my muscles, I eat some protein. So I don't eat a post-workout meal after a 90-minute yoga class, but I do eat extra after a 30 minute session doing dead-lifts and pull-ups in the gym. Some running workouts would create strain and some would not. 

How far on either side of your run do your regular meals fall?

Remember ye olde high school gym class...we used to do jumping jacks, push-ups for about 10 minutes.  Then the girls  would play soccer, volleyball, basketball or softball.   The class would be in mid-afternoon.   After school, if you were on the track team (I was on the cross-country team and threw the javelin, discus, and shot-put), you practiced for another hour or two.  During the winter, it was volleyball and basketball practice.  There were no snacks or protein powder drinks.   Zip.  Zero. Nadda.   We were all in the best condition of our life.

Youth was a big part of that equation, but we were only eating 3 meals aday.   School lunches were heavy on the carbs but not too bad.

Friday's fish sticks were the favorite.  I've never tasted good fish sticks like that ever again.   They were not all bread crumbs and fillers.

They were superb.  The tartar sauce was great, too.    Everyone stood in line for seconds, but the school lunch lady would only give girls one more and boys received two.

src.adapt.480.low.jpg

If you stayed for track practice, you missed the bus.   We all had to walk home together with our books and band instruments.   I played a bass clarinet and packed that thing home.  The walk was a winding road, all up-hill....5 miles.  A change in elevation from 5,225 to 6,750 ft.

The only sports nutrition we had was a carb heavy  school lunch to get us by until supper.  The body is amazing.  We didn't have a pop machine and there wasn't a fast food joint for french fries.  It was a 200 mile round trip to the nearest Mickey D's.  I don't ever remember thinking about food in those days.   We were too happy being together as kids and we were constantly busy.   We didn't worry about what we were eating but who we were eating with. 

• Moderators

Remember ye olde high school gym class...we used to do jumping jacks, push-ups for about 10 minutes.  Then the girls  would play soccer, volleyball, basketball or softball.   The class would be in mid-afternoon.   After school, if you were on the track team (I was on the cross-country team and threw the javelin, discus, and shot-put), you practiced for another hour or two.  During the winter, it was volleyball and basketball practice.  There were no snacks or protein powder drinks.   Zip.  Zero. Nadda.   We were all in the best condition of our life.

Youth was a big part of that equation, but we were only eating 3 meals aday.   School lunches were heavy on the carbs but not too bad.

Friday's fish sticks were the favorite.  I've never tasted good fish sticks like that ever again.   They were not all bread crumbs and fillers.

They were superb.  The tartar sauce was great, too.    Everyone stood in line for seconds, but the school lunch lady would only give girls one more and boys received two.

src.adapt.480.low.jpg

If you stayed for track practice, you missed the bus.   We all had to walk home together with our books and band instruments.   I played a bass clarinet and packed that thing home.  The walk was a winding road, all up-hill....5 miles.  A change in elevation from 5,225 to 6,750 ft.

The only sports nutrition we had was a carb heavy  school lunch to get us by until supper.  The body is amazing.  We didn't have a pop machine and there wasn't a fast food joint for french fries.  It was a 200 mile round trip to the nearest Mickey D's.  I don't ever remember thinking about food in those days.   We were too happy being together as kids and we were constantly busy.   We didn't worry about what we were eating but who we were eating with. 

Sounds like you grew up where I did! Only my walk home was a little less than a mile.

Our snack was always apple and cheddar slices or carrot and celery sticks with nut butter. Not perfect but not sugary crap either. THe occasional homebaked cookies were really an "treat" instead of a frequent indulgence.

We freaking had it so good.

Archived