Goodbye Lattes

miemoo

Hi Everyone, 

Excited to start tomorrow..it's time to have energy all day long and to feel that inner peace and confidence that comes from keeping the promises I make to myself. Goodbye lattes - my No. 1 weakness - relieved to hear that I can drink black coffee but deep down I know that coffee doesn't nourish me and my plan is to phase it out gradually over the 30 days.

I've experimented with lots of different eating styles before and I know that the inclusion of animal protein and the elimination of grains and dairy benefit me. Usually, I eat pretty well, little sugar and plenty of unprocessed food but things creep in and I end up getting out of balance which leads to bouts of depression, headaches, low energy, cellulite and skin breakouts. It's my belief that there is innate wisdom in the body and that food is medicine. I'm so ready to take the next step and really eliminate all this stuff that is harmful. 

I'm grateful for this forum, looking forward to meeting others on here :)

Hi there, lattes were a killer for me too! So much so that I didn't want to commit to this plan :o anyways, I found an alternative! Coconut milk lattes!!!!! You can heat the milk and use a hand blender to froth it up. It tastes really good, so creamy and much nicer than cows milk. I have one a day with my breakfast. Give it a try :)

Hi Mieke. Welcome and good luck :) Coffee too has been my addiction and I havent stopped drinking it but im down to one or two cups a day...big improvement for me! Ive used coconut milk as well which is nice but I would like to stop the daily habit. Im on Day 17 and im going to start drinking green tea just to see what happens!

Coconut lattes should be reviewed for whether they are becoming either SWYPO or food with no brakes. Everyone is different.

If they're pushing food off your plate, if they're becoming a dessert, sweet treat or a way to shovel in large quantities of coconut milk, think about whether they're setting new good habits for you.

I stick to one in the morning for the most part and if I ever add dates it's one date across many cups of coffee (too many dates become no brakes for me, and mess with my blood sugar).

If you want to keep it simple, coffee + coconut oil (W30 bulletproof coffee - using an immersion blender makes it fluffy) or coffee + coconut milk.

Some people also find coffee is an irritant as well, so monitor how you feel, with and without it. If it's instant, make sure it's pure, many contain fillers which are often grain based (even gluten!). Locally, I get Moccona which has no fillers and the jars are also great for holding homemade mayo :)

Moderators...are faux lattes compliant?  Are they considered a swapped out version and reminder of the real thing?

Here's the official take on Lattes:

Yes, you can have your coffee. You’re welcome. You can drink it black, add compliant coconut milk or home-made almond milk, or add cinnamon or vanilla beans to the brew.  But remember, Whole30 guidelines exclude milk, cream, non-compliant milk substitutes, and added sweeteners—including stevia (more on that below). For more of our recommendations regarding your coffee consumption, read our Coffee Manifesto.

Tip: Regarding “Paleo” coffee creamer… sigh. We know there’s a recipe out there where eggs, coconut milk, dates, and some voodoo magic are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can take the place of your cream and sugar (or Coffeemate) and once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. This is not okay–sugary creamer substitutes fall under the SWYPO rule. Instead, we’d encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor?

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.a5qecU8Y.dpuf

Archived