Muscular aching and rapid fatigue with exercise

DocGB1973

Hi there, just finished day 10.

Anyone know why I might be having such a hard time with exercise? I'm trying to stick with my pre W30 strength training and cardio program, and everything is harder and more painful.

I am eating plenty of sweet potatoes and having a fruit daily, so I don't think it is carbohydrate depletion. I am drinking tons of water and getting plenty of salts, so I don't think it's dehydration or electrolytes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

It could be that you are taking in way less calories, in general.

It could be that your body is trying to heal & repair, and what you really need is more (extra) rest.

It could be a matter of way less carbohydrates than your body is used to.  Even though you feel like you are eating plenty.

It could be that you are trying to do too much.  How long are your workouts?  How much cardio are we talking?  When was the last time you took a week off?

If you want to post a few days' worth of food, people are happy to offer suggestions.

I talked to my personal trainer about this just a few days ago.  She admitted that, WITH caffeine, carbs, sugar (as in, pre-W30), she had some of her best workouts.  Mid-W30 was her worst...and then they started to improve again. But...she also said that her best W30 wasn't as good as her pre-W30 workouts.

But that should be ok.  In a way, it's like saying "I got so much stronger when I was using steroids!"  No one would agree that taking steroids is a good thing, even if your workouts are better.  Life is a "package," as in, excellence in one area with horrible results in another is NOT as good as a balance throughout.

On a personal note, I'm struggling more with my workouts, too, and I'm on D28 (no tiger blood here).  BUT...my overall energy is up.  I'm busier during the day, waking early and easily, feeling more energetic and positive about everything.  I don't really care if I can lift as heavy in the gym...the gym is just the gym.

Typically energy levels, workout performance etc. kind of goes down the tubes the first 2 - 3 weeks during a whole 30.

That being said - for sore muscles I suggest taking a magnesium supplement  (We recommend Natural Calm unflavoured).  I noticed when I took a magnesium supplement my muscle recovery was much better. (1 day of muscle pain instead of 3 days)  You could also take a bath with Epsom salts (also contains magnesium - which your body can absorb from the water).

• Moderators

Hmm. I never stopped eating strict Whole30 and my performance in the gym improved steadily for years. In fact, it has been 4 years and I keep getting stronger. I finally learned how to train and expect I will still be setting new personal records 10 years from now... when I will be 67. 

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm following the food template pretty closely, and probably eating as many or more carbs as before (pre W30 I was not eating grains, now I am eating more sweet potatoes and fruit).

It may just take time and more water to wash out the lactic acid.

I appreciate the ideas and perspectives!

Archived