A little stuck

magso

Hi everyone!

I've done three Whole 30's and I love it! I finished my last one about two weeks ago. However, even with my last whole 30, I feel a little stuck. I mean, my skin has cleared up and my energy is high! But my weight has stayed the same. I've been working out 3-4 days a week usually. I have gone down about 3 maybe 4 sizes in about 8 months and I am SO happy! I follow a whole 30 and paleo lifestyle even when I'm not doing a 30 day round. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or have been feeling the same way!? Please let me know if you have any tips (:

Thanks so much!

• Administrators

Is this weight you actually need to lose or is it vanity pounds that you want to lose?  Interesting for a lot of us, our bodies are happy at a size/weight that is comfortable to them but makes our mental/vain/mirror-self wish we could lose the last 10 pounds.

Alternately, if you do have weight to lose, you do actually need to consume less than you burn. (Whole30 is not a weight loss diet but a foundation of excellent nutrition).  Not every single day, but overall you need a bit of a deficit. 

Once we stop being scared of fat, I think it's really easy to overconsume it.  Some people say that's not possible but homemade mayo is REALLY good blopped all over everything and coconut milk is REALLY delicious as a latte. Lard in your frying pan is delicious and easy to overdo. If you do have weight to lose, you probably need to tweak your template to find what works perfectly for you.

Mark's Daily Apple had an interesting article today about Minimum Effective Dose as it relates to food and exercise.  Instead of celebrating how we enlightened folk don't count calories so we can EAT ALL THE FOOD, he suggests finding that balance where you are fuelling your body just enough for performance, sleep and brain function.  Not too little that anything suffers and not so much that you end up steadily gaining (or not losing) weight. I found it interesting.

Overall, I do try to stay away from the snacks like nuts and dry fruit. However, there was a week or so I was putting dried figs into my salad, and I cut that out completely! 

And I would say it's a little bit of both. I'm wondering if I should increase my fats a little. I have some avocado with my eggs cooked with a bit of ghee. And I usually use my homemade almond milk over coconut milk. So maybe that's something to consider? I will definitely look into that article, thanks! 

Cutting for too long will slow things down to a crawl.   If your portions have dwindled down, it will stop weight loss.   Vegetables are very important at breakfast and definitely more than 1/2 cup.  Vegetables at every meal.  Coconut milk over almond milk is a good switch.   Fats give you satiety.   If dairy has been added back...too many milk sugars will slow everything down.   Cheese, yogurt and cream spike insulin.

Artificial sweetners can affect the appetite.  If there's any cheat meals (weekends), those will undo good efforts.

It's also possible that you are gaining muscle at the same time you're losing fat.  Weight loss isn't a linear process.  Losing weight is not the same as losing fat.   Too much stress and not enough sleep will shut you down.   Paleo treats, dried fruits, nut butters and nuts...something to ponder.

Even though I'm not doing a whole 30, I still follow it as my guideline. I start away from nut butters and dried fruit. Still not having any dairy or sugars.

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely take all of this into consideration!

• Moderators

Hi everyone!

I've done three Whole 30's and I love it! I finished my last one about two weeks ago. However, even with my last whole 30, I feel a little stuck. I mean, my skin has cleared up and my energy is high! But my weight has stayed the same. I've been working out 3-4 days a week usually. I have gone down about 3 maybe 4 sizes in about 8 months and I am SO happy! I follow a whole 30 and paleo lifestyle even when I'm not doing a 30 day round. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or have been feeling the same way!? Please let me know if you have any tips (:

Thanks so much!

THROW AWAY YOUR SCALE!!!! Seriously. Toss it. Take it outside and smash it with a hammer*. Lay it in the street and run over it with the car*. Get rid of it! NOW! It is not helping you. *proceed at your own risk, not responsible for damage from flying bits of scale

You lost three or four sizes and you work out -- your body composition has changed, which means you probably have more muscle and less fat than you did before. 

If the post Tina R. linked to above isn't enough to convince you, check out this one. She's not paleo, so I'm not endorsing her way of eating, but check out her pics there -- she weighs more in the one where she looks skinnier. And really, while obviously we want to be healthy, when we say we want to lose weight, isn't what we really mean that we want to look better? If I looked good enough to put pics of myself in a bikini on the internet, I wouldn't care if I weighed 120 lbs or 180 lbs in it, I'd just be thrilled I looked that good. 

You're so right, Shannon! Sometimes it's easy to forget our accomplishments. It's easy to be a little greedy with this, you know? I guess I've been the same for the past 2 months or so, and I find it discouraging at times. But I have to stop with the scale, you are absolutely right!  

Archived