Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

Bronny - lol I've never been tempted to eat any wood, so I will assume it was fear of not being compliant and breaking my Whole30. Interestingly food dreams seem to happen to most people during their Whole30. I hope someone does a study on it someday :)

MyFitnessPal users - I'd recommend not using the app for your Whole30, as you really can't avoid seeing your calorie counts etc. You can keep a food and exercise log without all the counting :)

Kirkor - I had no idea that's how the photos worked! Thank you!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ambnille07 - I know it seems hard going it alone, but there are some advantages. You'll always be exposed to temptations outside of the house, so having them inside too often hones your abilty to resist them :) I've been going it alone for a number of years now, although my partner eats a lot healthier now (with no prompting from me). He eats very little pasta and bread now, but before he almost lived off them :) Before my first Whole30 I don't think he thought much of food in relation to health, but now he has seen the changes in my health and often says "I don't think you should eat that, it might have gluten in it", where before he had no idea what gluten was :)

Bronny - I'm an ex-MFP fan myself, and I've found keeping my log on the forum to give me all the info I need, but without calorie or macro counting and frankly without some of the really negative influences I was exposed to on MFP. There's a lot of prompting about weighing and eating more or less. The more we try and have our brain override our body's instincts, the more it does. Since I broke up with MFP, I'm much better at assessing my natural hunger and although I didn't think I did much before, I spend a lot less time thinking about food (and a lot less time using their really annoying search engine lol).

Jenn 2011 - if you can get them locally, frozen berries can be lovely :)

leaC - What have you been eating today? Some people do get a little heartburn as they adjust to either the meal sizes or fat intake, but sometimes it's certain foods that are the trigger.

lclarkuf - Go you! Off medication is so awesome! :D

Bronny - The Whole30 is pretty much a holiday for your gut, you're better off eating real food, especially starchy veg as they create the stuff that your bacteria live off :) Garlic is a FODMAP, you might want to track how you react to FODMAPs for your Whole30, or just wait until reintroduction. Other goodies for your gut are bone broth, gelatin, liver and kombucha :)

Sunflour - It's pretty hard to keep kids fully on W30, but they certainly do learn by example :)

Bronny - Lots of chilli recipes without beans! Clothes Make The Girl is famous for her Chocolate Chilli (linked by Chris), which actually contains cocoa! :D

tbrainey - Whole30 is great for inflammation! I completely got rid of my arthritis (which it turns out was from gluten and dairy) and no longer need a bunch of medication.

Yes, beans are out on a Whole30. A compliant chili recipe that is quite popular is the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

Thank you GF Chris. Yummmm

ambnille07 - I know it seems hard going it alone, but there are some advantages. You'll always be exposed to temptations outside of the house, so having them inside too often hones your abilty to resist them :) I've been going it alone for a number of years now, although my partner eats a lot healthier now (with no prompting from me). He eats very little pasta and bread now, but before he almost lived off them :) Before my first Whole30 I don't think he thought much of food in relation to health, but now he has seen the changes in my health and often says "I don't think you should eat that, it might have gluten in it", where before he had no idea what gluten was :)

Bronny - I'm an ex-MFP fan myself, and I've found keeping my log on the forum to give me all the info I need, but without calorie or macro counting and frankly without some of the really negative influences I was exposed to on MFP. There's a lot of prompting about weighing and eating more or less. The more we try and have our brain override our body's instincts, the more it does. Since I broke up with MFP, I'm much better at assessing my natural hunger and although I didn't think I did much before, I spend a lot less time thinking about food (and a lot less time using their really annoying search engine lol).

Jenn 2011 - if you can get them locally, frozen berries can be lovely :)

leaC - What have you been eating today? Some people do get a little heartburn as they adjust to either the meal sizes or fat intake, but sometimes it's certain foods that are the trigger.

lclarkuf - Go you! Off medication is so awesome! :D

It'd be great is Whole 30 had a little app - is someone working on one? It's nice to have it on phone. Yeah I do feel irritated with those little weigh yourself prompts and "You haven't eaten enough calories for today"... I'm eating fatty foods too! So I just ignore them. I will see if I can actually follow through with recording food on the forum instead. Thank you Praxis!

day 3. Very irritable today!!!! Thought I was going to lose my temper in the store today.  M1 egg white and blueberry, strawberry pancake. oh my God this is delicious! I also put nutmeg and cinnamon in with the egg whites. M2 hard boiled egg, summer sausage and a couple green olives and apple. M3 venison, brussel sprouts and sliced tomatoes.  Everyone have a good night.

Hi Everyone!

Hi! I'm starting today, Jan 3rd. I made it about half way through a couple attempts at 30 days during the holidays. Committed to making this happen. I plan to post EVERY DAY to stay accountable :) And if folks don't mind the monotony, I also plan to briefly post my meals.

stravajunkie, go ahead and post your meals to your hear'ts content! I plan on doing similar because I like giving/receiving inspiration to/from others (isn't that the beauty of being part of a forum)? It's helpful to see what meals work and maybe don't work...

To respond to drtracyb & praxisproject, I had forgotten I'd had some of the cauliflower rice the day before (stuffed zucchini & mushrooms filling), but after last night's 2nd round of the rice, I feel fab today. Maybe as praxisproject says, could be adjusting to meal sizes (i'm used to snacking and having lot's of smaller meals), or fat intake?

Sunflour, it is certainly a challenge when you're the only one in the house doing the Whole30, but I'm quite happy with my success so far in that I make my Whole30 meal and adapt it to each family member's preference. eg: the night I made the chicken mince & cauliflower rice filling to stuff my veggies, I placed a couple of spoonfuls in puff pastry for my fussy 14 year old and my husband. With last night's thai green chicken I served mine with the cauliflower rice and the 'men' of our home ate it with jasmine rice & some oven baked asian entrees. Everyone was happy and I didn't have to go to any great lengths to change MY menu.

Day 4 today and like I said, feeling great (maybe it's the lack of alcohol in my life...)? I plan on making some pate using chicken livers & ghee, and a fruit flavoured iced tea. Will update later with results!

Ciao - L. xx

day 3. Very irritable today!!!! Thought I was going to lose my temper in the store today.  M1 egg white and blueberry, strawberry pancake. oh my God this is delicious! I also put nutmeg and cinnamon in with the egg whites. M2 hard boiled egg, summer sausage and a couple green olives and apple. M3 venison, brussel sprouts and sliced tomatoes.  Everyone have a good night.

Sorry, but per the program rules, Paleo pancakes are off-limits on a Whole30. Save them for after you've completed the process.

Bronny - This is my log, it's the format that I've found works for me http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/23624-january-2015-whole30-in-melbourne/ 

One day I hope there's a Whole30 style app, but until then, I stick with the forum one. I also didn't realise how many negative food influences I had on MFP too, until I left it behind. It might have just been the groups I was in, but a lot of people with borderline eating-disorder behaviour on there, which was not helping me eat healthy. (although I did discover Whole30 via MFP, so it was good for something lol)

Day 3 almost done for me. Sticking w the plan but oh my lands....irritable to no end! Seriously hoping this eases up soon. (I'm sure hubby hopes so too ;)

Loving my sweet potato hash and egg breakfasts. Leftover shepherd pie for lunch from Clothes Make the Girl. Dinner was venison roast w potato, carrot, broccoli, asparagus. Tons of water. Tried adding coconut milk to coffee this morning. It was ok but for now I may just stick w tea.

Hi!

My name is Sue, thanks for the invite! I started Whole30 January 1st and this is my first go at it! Today is Day 3 for me...Yippeee.

I've been primal (I would consume dairy, cream for my coffee and I love cheese) and I'm a chocoholic...milk chocolate, so sugar quitting sugar is not easy, but I did do 21 DSD twice this year (surprisingly I completed it).

So I decided to do Whole30 and I do believe the planning and prepping meals is the most important part along with the support group and the daily emails (They've been fun so far and helpful!) 

I've read the book, ISWF (checked it out at the library back In October, I wanted to renew it but I was #103 for 44 copies in Nov, now I'm # 46, so I gave up and bought the ebook until I received the hardback (I'm a slow reader). I'm looking forward to the cookbook in April!

I've been getting Whole30 recipes from many places: WF 1&2, Nom, Nom Paleo, Meals Made Simple (I love the Lemon Roasted Asparagus and Brussels Sprouts, and Pinterest, making sure they are compliant! I did go shopping Jan 2 (Costco was closed New Years!) and supplemented from Whole Foods and my local grocer, it adds up, but I have a good variety (and a chest freezer!) I'll be prepping more meals tomorrow.

I am a runner and was sick over the holidays with the flu/cold. I'm training for Ragnar, a 12 member team run from Miami to Key West and have been unable to run for the last 2 weeks! Our race is Feb 5-6. I returned to running last Tuesday 2 miles (first time in 2 weeks) and today ran 4 miles. I have been tired all day, and grouchy according to my boyfriend. I have been eating well, and drinking water. I think it was very beneficial to me to see the daily email for today...it pegged me perfectly, tired and grouchy, but no time for naps today. I do hope my energy returns soon.

I've only had a couple of cravings, I thought about making chile, but the though of no cheese and sour cream makes it a little bit more difficulty to enjoy. The meals I have made have been great so far, and I've been supplementing with sweet potatoes. I did buy some oranges/mandarins, and had a couple each day. I did buy some frozen strawberries and blueberries and tried a few of them with coconut butter and coconut milk blended, as a dessert, but realized I really wasn't hungry, it was the sweetness I was craving and my desire to have "dessert".

Best of luck to all of us out there! I look forward to posting more updates and reading yours as well!

I appreciate and welcome the support!

Sue

Survived day 3.  Hard-boiled egg, bacon, chicken broth for breakfast.  Egg salad for M2.  M3 was asparagus-broccoli-bacon soup, braised mexican beef, butternut squash.  Handful of nuts mid-day snack.  Work has been too busy to be temped by food tonight.  No exercise today, boo hoo.

Hi all! I've been fighting off a head cold the past few days and it finally hit me full-force this afternoon. Still being compliant, but man is the desire for comfort food strong when you're not feeling well! Dinner ended up being simple tonight, eggs, potatoes and spinach. Fairly comfort-foodish, but still compliant. ;) I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bit tomorrow and hopefully kicking this head cold before the busy week gets going again.

Have a great evening/day!

Jenn

End of day 4 for me and I'm feeling 'alive'! I told hubby the timeline said I should be ending the 'hangover' phase and heading into 'kill all things' but for some reason I don't feel that way at all?! He warned me that it may just be a couple of days away for me - oh god.....

Didn't get to make chicken liver & ghee pate today, but I DID discover the glorious refreshingness of icead tea with a large splash of organic apple juice (no added nasties). Now my go to drinks for a pick me up in the this hot weather are mineral water & fresh lime juice or apple iced tea. Interestingly I'm not missing my nightly wine induulgence!

Dinner tonight we bbq'd grass fed beef & sausages (with no additives/gluten etc), sauerkraut, baked sweet potatoe with ghee & cinnamon, beetroot & a gorgeous Avocado, Cucumber & Pistachio Salad . Yum!

leaC - I make it when I remember, I brew Twinings fruit teas in hot water and then have over ice or with mineral water. I rarely drink at all now even when I'm not Whole30. Yummy dinner!

Ready - it does get better, have some extra sweet potato, it helps to cut down on the cranky :) also, I personally recommend not exercising unless you feel very motivated to do so. Cranky exercise can result in injuries.

Jenn - Soup is nice and comforting :) 

I did buy some frozen strawberries and blueberries and tried a few of them with coconut butter and coconut milk blended, as a dessert, but realized I really wasn't hungry, it was the sweetness I was craving and my desire to have "dessert".

A dish like this would considered "SWYPO" and is not compliant with W30. http://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

I spent all day cooking yesterday, and I plan to do the same today. Whee! The goal is to stuff my fridge and freezer with soup, bone broth, roasted veggies, meatballs, and pre-portioned slices of meat so I can grab and go. This is key for those days when I get home from work tired, cranky, and ready to go facefirst into a pizza.

Today's goal is hardboiled eggs and Rogan josh (well fed). I may also spatchcock a chicken. That's a fun word to type. It sounds vaguely dirty.

This morning I had two hardboiled eggs with mayo, stomach, and prosciutto, and a big bowl of silken gingered zucchini soup (well fed 2). It's very creamy and filing, but I found it a touch bland for me. I added salt and a hit of curry powder and it was awesome. If you're a big fan of the taste of zucchini, you may love it as is. I'm going to have meatball soup for lunch, and rogan josh for dinner. Or maybe a chicken. Who knows. It's sunday, the day is wide open. :) of course, the kids won't eat no matter what I give them, so there's that.

Hope everyone is having a great Whole30 day!

Yesterday marked Day 12 for me (I started a little early), and I am soooooo proud of myself....

Went to a dinner party last night; my friend is the most amazing cook.  I didn't want to cancel due to being on W30, nor did I want to be "one of those people", as no one in my real life knows I'm doing this.  

I was originally going to take an Uber with some other friends due to drinking, but since I'm on W30, I volunteered to drive, so.....problem #1 solved....built-in "no alcohol" excuse.

Appetizers were easy, as she had these amazing-smelling-and-looking popover pastry things, but also a lovely veggie tray.  I successfully ate only veggies, none of the dip (didn't know what was in it).

Dinner was easy too, as she had salad and beef tenderloin and potatoes.  

Dessert was so tough!  She made the most amazing-looking cake, and served everyone a huge slice!  I asked my friend next to me if she wanted to split a piece with me, so we "split" it.  I never took a bite, and everyone was so busy talking and laughing, no one even noticed!  I found it kind of funny, as I felt I was "getting away" with something!

And yesterday (Day 12) was actually my first "Kill all the Things" days, so I was worried going in.  On to Day 13....

LeaC - thanks for the iced tea idea! I will make some today. As an aside, I've found that I have to read even the tea ingredients, as some brands pre-sweeten the dry tea with stevia. Meh. My first world problem for today!

BlueBonnets- rock on! Good in you for not being a W30 hermit and staying social :)

Archived