Anyone planning to jump in on January 1st? Join me!!

politicalmama

• Administrators

@leaC - I discovered an expectorant called Air-Power with the natural enzyme Guaifenesin to help break up mucous and stop a cold in its tracks. It really works for me. If you can't find Air-Power and you're interested, look for the enzyme Guaifenesin in a natural foods store in your area. It can't hurt.

Sorry bronnyd, Guaifenesin is a tradename for glyceryl guaiacolate...which is derived from alcohol...and would not be appropriate on Whole30.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!  Feels like it's been a while.  Work is crazy and when I get home I do my chores and go to bed. Soooo, not much to post re: food since I've been eating a huge lunch and that's it.  Just as bad, I nibble on it for hours at my desk.  I've eliminated sweet potatoes - I don't think they agree with me.  Need to find alternative starchy veggies.  My family finally finished off the 9# of kalua pig last night - yay!  It's great to have so much food prepped - I don't feel guilty about not cooking dinner.  My son's an excellent cook, but he doesn't like cooking dinner every night - who does?  Today's lunch is tasty: salad with 2 cans of wild salmon and lots of AIP avocado mayo from He Won't Know It's Paleo.

Also I agree with your reply to leahcarn - leahcarn, can you combine the two? That's what I'm doing - combining low FODMAP/Specific Carb Diet (SCD) foods with Whole 30 to help my SIBO. Most of the foods on Whole 30 are compatible with low FODMAP/SCD aside from seaweed, sweet potato, and a few other foods. That said, whatever you decide is all good since it really sounds like you're on the right track and open to doing whatever it takes to heal. :)

Yes, when I said I would be going low fodmap, I meant doing a low fodmap whole30, like my last one was. As far as the cheating, it's psychological. I find fodmaps really hard to give up because I think I "should" be able to eat them, or "a little won't hurt" so if I called it a whole60, I'd be more tempted to cheat on fodmaps (see the last 20 days for an example of that) and if I called it a low fodmap whole60 I'm claiming something I haven't done, so a restart it is. 

Glad to hear you are going well with yours.

Felt better today. Ate several smaller meals. I drove into town to pick up parts and I wasn't sure how long I would be gone, so I ended up eating the two smaller meals before I left.

M1: sweet potato and sausage frittata with olives, coffee with coconut milk

M2: chicken thighs and cauliflower rice with ghee

M3: beef stew

M4: sweet potato and sausage frittata, pecans

M5: salad and chicken breast, avocado

Yay Dem I'm glad you feel better!

I'm fighting a mild strange scratchy throat and a bit of hoarsness. I think yesterday's grumpiness and slamming into bed early is an indicator there's a buggery bug in me. But it seems mild. I could see it blooming into something worse really fast with my "old" eating habits. But it feels handleable at the moment.

I ate so much wonderful bacon today. Am lovin' the fat. 

M1 ground pork with a couple ends and pieces of bacon cut up in it with sage, and two scrambled eggs. Americano with coconut oil.

M2 2.5 bowls silky zucchini ginger soup with chicken and kale

M3 1.5 bowls silky zucchini ginger soup with chicken and bacon pieces - really tasty. Also half avo with salt sprinkled eaten right out of skin. 

Have to say, am lovin' eating the bacon and avo and fatty foods. Am enjoying using soups as a base and doctoring them up with veggies and fatty yumminess. So much better than eating sugar and loads of carbs. My bloaty tummy is decreasing, my pants are looser and I'm just better in general.  So I'm feelin' the gratitude right now. 

After this whole 30 I am going to continue in another forum, keep the sugar, fruit and carbs at bay. I like the 100 day concept. That'd make it into April with no sugar or alcohol or grains/carbs. Methinks this is a new lifestyle. Eventually, I'd like to get back to treating myself to the occasional chocolate mousse or red wine with my beef short ribs, but right now it just doesn't even sound appealing. It's wonderful to feel completely satiated and calm before bed, which is where I'm headed now. Night! xoxb

@leaC protein & fat, protein & fat! ;) .............. sucks about the tea time with your friends ... I know it can be hard to be the stick in the mud re: going out. When I do a W30 I usually make a deal with myself that I'll always agree to wherever people want to go, and then I'll find *something* on the menu -- or I won't, and just get coffee. Happened when I was in Chicago for Christmas: whole family was going out to this pizza joint, and I'd resigned myself to no food 'til we were done. But I found on the menu a chicken and steamed veggie dish that worked out perfectly.

Thanks Kirkor, appreciate your support! By the time I got to the restaurant to meet my friends last night, they were finishing eating. I was finally hungry enough to order and enjoyed a salad with avo, prawns & olives - dressing of olive oil & balsamic, just what the doctor ordered!

Bronny & Ladyshanny - thanks for the natural spray remedy suggestion, shame it's not compliant!

Night!

Leanne.

Day 22: Still going strong!!!

Last night I could have happily traded in my 2 beautiful children for a pizza and a bottle of red wine....but obviously I didn't. Instead, I ate my baked salmon and stir-fried veggies and glared at my husband as he tucked into his noodles!

How's everyone else doing?

My allergies are trying to kill me.  Seriously.

I'm allergic to basically everything environmental.  Trees, grass, pollen, dust, cats, dogs, birds, basically anhything that grows....lol

I ran out of my allergy meds 2 nights ago, and didn't get a reful until last night.  That was enough time to be hit full force with an allergy attack.  I can't breathe through my nose, it won't stop running and i can't stop sneezing.  My eyes look like I've spent at week locked in a room with Chich and Chong.

I had read some reviews that the Whole30 has helped with people allergies and I was REALLY looking forward to maybe benefiting from that myself.  I guess right now is just not my time for relief.  :(

Hey All:

Yesterday = worse cravings than I've had for quite awhile. Majorly wanted sugar. Probably stress related.

M1 = 2 bananas

M2 = sausage, avocado, salsa green salad

M3 = Chicken vegetable soup

Also feel kind of bloated and generally gross. Could be a reaction from OD on cashews.

Going to try to hang onto square meals today!!

Appreciate all your posts, I'm sure glad to have found a forum with some life in it.

• Administrators

Hey All:

Yesterday = worse cravings than I've had for quite awhile. Majorly wanted sugar. Probably stress related.

M1 = 2 bananas

M2 = sausage, avocado, salsa green salad

M3 = Chicken vegetable soup

Also feel kind of bloated and generally gross. Could be a reaction from OD on cashews.

Going to try to hang onto square meals today!!

Appreciate all your posts, I'm sure glad to have found a forum with some life in it.

Hey Stravajunkie,

Those two bananas you're eating for breakfast are perpetuating your cravings for sugar all day long.  You're basically waking up from a night of sleep and the first nutrition you are giving your body is sugar and starch.  Starting off your day with a template meal including protein, veggies and fat is going to go a long way towards quelling that.  Further, two bananas is NOT enough nutrition to propel you through your day and even less so if you happen to have stressful days.

I'm allergic to basically everything environmental.  Trees, grass, pollen, dust, cats, dogs, birds, basically anhything that grows....lol

You were probably meant to be born a robot. Sucks, man. Robot_smiley.png

Hello,

Sending ((((healing vibes)))) for the sick and feeling not so well out there

Day 18 for me wohooo, thinkin a Whole 60 or Whole 90 would take place, much needed anyway

M1- BPC, 3 boiled eggs w/mayo, 1/2 grapefruit

M2- Going out for lunch with a friend to an italian restaurant! I think I would eat a salad and maybe a piece of chicken if I find something that looks ok, I will check the menu here in a minute

M3 - Ground turkey breast w/peppers, onion, garlic, spinach, green beans

Life is good. Rainy day here in HTown

I put a small chopped fig (my only fruit in over a week) in my ground pork this morning and it was soooo goood! 

Thanks Kirkor, appreciate your support! By the time I got to the restaurant to meet my friends last night, they were finishing eating. I was finally hungry enough to order and enjoyed a salad with avo, prawns & olives - dressing of olive oil & balsamic, just what the doctor ordered!

Bronny & Ladyshanny - thanks for the natural spray remedy suggestion, shame it's not compliant!

Night!

Leanne.

Thanks for the feedback ladyshanny about expectorants. I can see if it's in tincture form with alcohol it would be noncompliant as it might raise temptations for sugar/alcohol cravings. These however are in pill form.  I would like to hear what other moderators say about compliancy with something as benign as air-power guaifenesin - a natural enzymatic remedy in pill form. Whatever alcohol that may have been used to make it is gone. You can easily get guaifenesin in pill form and not tincture.

I'm not going to stop taking them just because they might be associated with alcohol in some vague sense. 

I ran out of my allergy meds 2 nights ago, and didn't get a reful until last night.  That was enough time to be hit full force with an allergy attack.  I can't breathe through my nose, it won't stop running and i can't stop sneezing.  My eyes look like I've spent at week locked in a room with Chich and Chong.

I had read some reviews that the Whole30 has helped with people allergies and I was REALLY looking forward to maybe benefiting from that myself.  I guess right now is just not my time for relief.   :(

Poukiebear sorry to hear about those allergies - no fun! How are you doing on the fruit? I found that when I removed the fruit from my diet, not only is my gut getting/feeling better, my red eyes and chronically runny nose is gone. That's just my body though.... but from the book It Starts With Food, sugar is such a culprit (although they say fruit is good) and my habits were so bad that even fruit sugar - esp. grapes and tangerines - had an adverse affect on me.

That said, maybe try an elimination diet to see if it is food related...

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback ladyshanny about expectorants. I can see if it's in tincture form with alcohol it would be noncompliant as it might raise temptations for sugar/alcohol cravings. These however are in pill form.  I would like to hear what other moderators say about compliancy with something as benign as air-power guaifenesin - a natural enzymatic remedy in pill form. Whatever alcohol that may have been used to make it is gone. You can easily get guaifenesin in pill form and not tincture.

I'm not going to stop taking them just because they might be associated with alcohol in some vague sense. 

Sorry bronnyd, the pill form has soy lecithin in it, which alcohol question aside, makes it not compliant and a potential gut disruptor.

http://www.drugstore.com/enzymatic-therapy-air-power-guaifenesin-expectorant/qxp195804

The small amount of alcohol from the glycerol probably would not make you crave sugar or alcohol but the rules are firm in order to encompass all questions (like vanilla and some dijon mustards) as simply as possible.  

Soooo tired today. I didn't remember I was out of regular coffee until 5:30 when I went to make some. I am either super addicted or pregnancy fatigue is starting to kick in. I have no desire to cook. So glad I had stuck a turkey spaghetti squash casserole in the freezer before this whole30.

M1: sweet potato sausage frittata with olives, decaf with coconut milk :(

S: two handfuls of pecans and a slice of pear while waiting for my lunch to heat up. I was so hungry.

M2: spaghetti squash turkey bake. I know I should go eat some olives but I am just too tired to get up now.

M3: probably more of m2 unless I can rouse myself to make spicy tuna patties.

Sorry to hear some people are either tired or sick. I continue to feel so much better and continue to sleep soundly. My husband isn't one to comment, but he can't believe how I am sleeping. He says I don't make any "snore-like" noises in the middle of the night (of course, I can't believe I ever snored - women don't snore). Something is sure working. I love it.

Just plugging along here. Following all the rules and enjoying better sleep and increased energy. I have noticed that I am much more productive at work, starting extra projects that I previously felt too tired to mess with......so of course that elevates my mood and makes me feel proud. I have also kept my promise to myself and worked out 4X/wk during this W30. For anyone looking for a fun, easy to follow workout, download the "Beat Burn" app by Lolo. It takes your music playlist and selects the song with the right speed for the cadence that you are expected to do for that series of intervals. The app personalizes workouts for walkers, runners, beginners (that's me), or experienced expercisers. I guess you'd classify all this as non-scale victories.

Well people 1 more week to go.... We can do this! Finish strong! This has been a great experience for me. I have been compliant and can say I sleep so good every night and have lots of energy all day. Working out 5 times a week and feel great. Have been out to dinner a few times and stayed compliant there too. I believe I will continue eating this way because I feel better. My husband has been along on this journey and is enjoying not feeling bloated and stuffed after our meals. So happy I learned about W30! I am looking forward to a glass of wine or 2:)

Whatev.

I am still fighting this slight cold but it's interesting - everyone around me is getting really sick. I'm staying healthy! It's usually kinda the opposite. I fell asleep with scratchy throat, woke up in night with sore throat (a bad sign), drank some water and woke up this morning feeling almost like new again. No sore throat, a bit of a snotty nose but that went away too! 

Then right at work end, my throat starts hurting again. Several peeps at work are sick, adults and kids alike, and housemate sick. 

But it's not the kind of sore throat that feels like it's going to bloom. It' s just this slightly sore throat near my sinus passages and I do believe I might have a handle on it.

Cocky me, we'll see.

However, I can tell it's because of Whole 30 - the bacteria in my gut doesn't have anything to feed off of and gut and sinuses are directly related. It feels so much more mild than normal for me. So... yay!

My food is basically the same as yesterday and I'm not even tired of it:

M1 sage sausage with bacon pieces and a fig, clean scrambled eggs (2 - clean = nothing else added), Americano with coconut oil

M2 2 bowls silky zucc chicken kale soup

M3 2 bowl same with bacon pieces added and 1/2 avo

I'm just plain satisfied. Tomorrow I'm having a bit of acorn squash with my lunch and some beef short ribs. :)) Food glorious food! 

Ugh. After a rotten couple of days (in which the cat broke her leg and needed expensive orthopaedic surgery to fix it, I got a cold, and had another health scare which is still being checked out), I just want to run and hide, taking with me a pizza, a bottle of wine, and a bowl of ice cream. It's not the answer, though, right...? Heavy sigh. Makes me realise just how much I rely on food to prop me through rough times.

Sorry for the doom and gloom. On a positive note, I'm NOT going to eat any of that rubbish which will after all only give me a very short-term fix, after which I would feel completely rotten for at least the next day or two.

Poukiebear sorry to hear about those allergies - no fun! How are you doing on the fruit? I found that when I removed the fruit from my diet, not only is my gut getting/feeling better, my red eyes and chronically runny nose is gone. That's just my body though.... but from the book It Starts With Food, sugar is such a culprit (although they say fruit is good) and my habits were so bad that even fruit sugar - esp. grapes and tangerines - had an adverse affect on me.

That said, maybe try an elimination diet to see if it is food related...

Hmmm... Never thought of fruit being the culprit.

But, as I glance back over my food journal for the week, I haven't had any fruit.  I probably have the biggest sugar monster anyone has ever seen, so I have been trying to really limit my fruit intake.  There's one apple left in my fruit basket at  home, and I've had no desire to even touch it.  (Have I really beaten the dragon into it's cave? )

I'm feeling better now that my drugs have started to kick in again.

My menu from yesterday:

M1: Fried eggs on top of Fried Spaghetti squash (Sounds strange, but the squash was already done and leftover from a previous meal.  Might as well use it!)

M2: Avocado and chicken rolls

M3: Beef Enchiladas, minus the enchilada.  (They are rolled in cabbage leaves instead)

Feeling a lot better today. I dug out some old coffee, so that helps! I had some free time yesterday afternoon so I made myself some tuna patties. I baked another sweet potato so I can make another batch tomorrow. I might try freezing some to have later. I don't see why they wouldn't freeze well. Such a perfect little snack. Goals today are to make mayo (for my tuna patties) and pad Thai.

Last night I was feeling inspired so instead of my regular plain salad I added some Mexican spices. I realized I had all the ingredients for salsa so I made some to put on my salad. Yummmmm I haven't made salsa forever but it is so good!

Happy day 23 everyone!

Archived