STIRFRY SAUCE

Vian

Everybody asks for stirfry sauce, and I just made one that is whole30 compliant and AWESOME. It's not sweet, but that's ok, because it's still tasty.

1/4c. coconut aminos

1 tbs. fish sauce

1 tsp. grated ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 c. water

1 tbs. vinegar

1 tbs. arrowroot starch (optional, if you want it to be a little thicker)

If you aren't actively on a whole30, a small splash of dry sherry, about a tablespoon, is also good in the sauce, but totally optional.

I put everything together in a mason jar and shook it, then at the very end of cooking my stirfry, I tossed it in the pan, let it bubble for a minute, and served. My stirfry was grassfed sirloin, onions, broccoli, and carrots.

post-32507-0-35382200-1419474259_thumb.j

MBC - Oddly you are quite likely to find a compliant fish sauce in an asian grocer (just make sure the label is in English). They're not all compliant, but there's quite a lot. I bought mine for the ghastly sum of $1.99 :) Some stores are now carrying Coconut Aminos, but beware the Niulife brand, it's loaded with sugar.

Praxisproject

MBC - Oddly you are quite likely to find a compliant fish sauce in an asian grocer (just make sure the label is in English). They're not all compliant, but there's quite a lot. I bought mine for the ghastly sum of $1.99 :) Some stores are now carrying Coconut Aminos, but beware the Niulife brand, it's loaded with sugar.

I did my fishing for compliant fish sauce when I embarked on my first whole30 in a number of Asian shops. And all contained sugar. Must be a Canberra thing. Unless I have to travel south. I love iherb for coconut aminos.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody asks for stirfry sauce, and I just made one that is whole30 compliant and AWESOME. It's not sweet, but that's ok, because it's still tasty.

1/4c. coconut aminos

1 tbs. fish sauce

1 tsp. grated ginger

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 c. water

1 tbs. vinegar

1 tbs. arrowroot starch (optional, if you want it to be a little thicker)

If you aren't actively on a whole30, a small splash of dry sherry, about a tablespoon, is also good in the sauce, but totally optional.

I put everything together in a mason jar and shook it, then at the very end of cooking my stirfry, I tossed it in the pan, let it bubble for a minute, and served. My stirfry was grassfed sirloin, onions, broccoli, and carrots.

Hi, Vian, Thanks for sharing the stirfry sauce. Like all the ingredients in Your recipe.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I have been eating a lot of orange beef/chicken lately.  My sauce:

1/2 c OJ per serving (so if I'm making 1 lb of chicken I'll use 1 whole cup)

dried ginger

dried garlic flakes

sesame oil

fish sauce

coconut aminos

I don't measure anything - I'm sure fresh ingredients would make it better as would a little orange zest.  But I'm lazy :)  Add it all to a pan and let it simmer until thickened.  Do NOT add anything that will sweat to the pan (like frozen veggies).  Cook everything and then add the sauce to it at the end.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I cannot find coconut aminos anywhere -- not even Whole Foods has it! I blame it on living in the South...

I don't know where you are in the South, but I've found it at Whole Foods, a local health food store, and recently even my grocery store (a Texas-based chain called HEB). Someone is bound to have it. The Coconut Secret website (the people who make the coconut aminos) has a store locator -- maybe try plugging in your zip code there and see what comes up. 

Archived