Glucose test

I have a glucose test scheduled for Friday and I asked if I could do a food based one instead and they told me no. Is it okay if I refuse to do the test then? I just started my whole60 yesterday. I am 28 weeks pregnant and this is my second pregnancy. Even eating non paleo my last pregnancy I did not have gestational diabetes. 

Thanks for any input.

Brittany Long 

Hi Brittany!

Let me preface this by saying that we're not doctors and nothing said in this forum should be considered medical advice.  

Now, doctors orders trump Whole30 rules, so if you and your doctor feel like this is an important test for you to take, then absolutely do that without considering it "breaking" your Whole30.  If you don't want to take the test (for personal reasons), then you always have the right to refuse  - Whole30 or not.

Hi Brittany!

Let me preface this by saying that we're not doctors and nothing said in this forum should be considered medical advice.  

Now, doctors orders trump Whole30 rules, so if you and your doctor feel like this is an important test for you to take, then absolutely do that without considering it "breaking" your Whole30.  If you don't want to take the test (for personal reasons), then you always have the right to refuse  - Whole30 or not.

Robin,

Thank you. That is good to know. My only concern is that it contains soybean oil and I know that it makes me nauseous. http://foodbabe.com/2014/05/13/shocking-why-are-doctors-recommending-this-toxic-drink/

• Administrators

Holy smokes, I just read that article and a couple more.  I fully agree with Robin, you have the right to make a choice for yourself and your baby on every single test and procedure that are offered or suggested to you. 

I'm not a huge fan of going blindly into anything that someone tells me is for my own good and have found that there is almost always an alternative that is safer or more suitable for my personal context.  More often what is prescribed by people in "professional capacities" is for the greatest ease and efficiency for that community and an individuals needs or values and beliefs are put aside.

Trust your gut, do some research and know that whatever choice you make, it's the right one for you and your baby.

Foodbabe is a scaremonger and frankly her articles tend to be factually inaccurate. That being said there are alternatives to the glucose drink -- my doctor gives out packages if jellybeans for example, and some midwives will let you sub fruit juice.

Archived