Just Mayo

SheilaT

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

I have problems digesting raw egg yolk (or any egg that isn't THOROUGHLLY cooked).  Should I use egg whites for the mayo recipe??  Or is there a jarred mayo at whole foods that would work??

You can make mayo with just egg white -- recipe here, but sub light tasting olive oil or avocado oil for the canola -- or you might be able to use whatever mayo recipe you want, keeping that 1 egg white to 1/2 cup of oil ratio. Most recipes call for a cup or a cup and a quarter of oil, so try two egg whites. (I've never made this, so I don't know how it will differ from regular mayo.) There's also this method with an egg yolk that is cooked. There are also egg-free mayos out there, but I'm not sure which ones are good, or if any of them are really like mayo.

Tessemae's does make a compliant mayo, but I don't know if you can find it at Whole Foods or if you'd have to order it.

The spread (no pun intended) of homemade mayo makers is possibly the greatest contribution to society of the entire Whole30 program! :D

Making my own mayo is what got me through my last W30!  I used it in so many different ways and it made everything that much more interesting.   :lol:

I use the Heathy Foodie's recipe, but with avocado oil.

Archived